Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #31
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Fit is vastly more important than brand. Try lots and go for what fits.

The Merrell range works perfectly for me. I prefer their lighter "barefoot" style shoes over their stiffer hiking boots though - even for quite rough tracks.
I agree about fit--it is most important. Ditto about lighter shoes, although my barefoot running shoes make me feel every pebble so likely not for rocky terrain, but otherwise yes. Three other points:
1) a non breathing** (Gortex) shoe will keep your feet wet when you sweat/step in water, and more over they are quite warm.
2) For very rocky terrain I like (climbing) approach shoes (La Sportiva, Scarpa, etc.) but I prefer them with mesh for most situations, as they are cooler and dry out as I hike.
3) wool socks are for me the other important item, and not thick so they don't bunch up.

I wear my La Sportiva approach shoes more in the city, and have had my 3 pairs Vibram soles replaced. So they can be reshod, although you may need to do some glueing/marine epoxy on the uppers. But if they are only for hiking, I think they will last almost forever. Hiking on pavement, or wading streams w/ sharp rocks are the scenarios that wear them out more quickly.

** My bad, yes it does pass the vapor component, I meant it does not pass the liquid component.

Last edited by dms; 05-29-2021 at 08:18 AM.
05-29-2021, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm confused once again

and as I have confessed my "trekking" days are behind me

but Gortex or similar material is designed to allow water vapor to escape but not to allow water molecules to enter

and I don't remember my feet suffering from sweating

on the other hand I always used wool socks so perhaps that should be considered too

and I remember stepping in low water and my feet staying dry

QuoteQuote:
Invented in 1969, Gore-Tex can repel liquid water while allowing water vapor to pass through and is designed to be a lightweight, waterproof fabric for all-weather use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-29-2021 at 05:09 AM.
05-29-2021, 06:28 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I'm confused once again

and as I have confessed my "trekking" days are behind me

but Gortex or similar material is designed to allow water vapor to escape but not to allow water molecules to enter

and I don't remember my feet suffering from sweating

on the other hand I always used wool socks so perhaps that should be considered too

and I remember stepping in low water and my feet staying dry

Gore-Tex - Wikipedia
The problem with gore-tex is that while it does allow for water vapour to escape, it traps in the liquid water that gets in. If your socks trap a lot of moisture from sweat, or water ingresses from stepping on a puddle like Bert said in his example, it won't be able to go out*. Otherwise, small droplets will evaporate and leave. Personally, like I commented up, I actually keep my feet drier with Gore-tex shoes than I do with anything else (barring coarse meshes or similarly-open textiles, of course), and I sweat a lot - in fact, when running in summer, I lose in the whereabouts of ~3 litres of water per hour of relatively light (~10-12 km/h) jogging.

*This is due to the membrane's structure, IIRC it has a pore size engineered to be small enough that it can trap liquid water due to the high surface tension of water (it can't pass through the relatively long pores) but porous enough that is not an issue for water vapour to go out the other way. Breathability suffers when the outer layer is soaked, of course, but that generally doesn't pose a problem unless we're talking something like very warm, very humid tropical rain environments.
05-29-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The problem with gore-tex is that while it does allow for water vapour to escape, it traps in the liquid water that gets in. . . .

*This is due to the membrane's structure, IIRC it has a pore size engineered to be small enough that it can trap liquid water due to the high surface tension of water (it can't pass through the relatively long pores) but porous enough that is not an issue for water vapour to go out the other way. Breathability suffers when the outer layer is soaked, of course, but that generally doesn't pose a problem unless we're talking something like very warm, very humid tropical rain environments.
that makes sense

the " structure " of goretex or similar material would prevent the water from entering or exiting

as I said, my trekking days are long gone and I never had any problems with the goretex lined boots

06-17-2021, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I never had any problems with the goretex lined boots
Same here. I've walked such boots dry on the rare occasions that a misstep caused flooding. In those cases, I've simply removed the boot and poured/wrung out excess water before continuing. OTOH, I regularly hike through wet grass and rainy conditions.
06-17-2021, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #36
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps a little more about Gortex versus not, and excluding winter (e.g., in the Northeast), which is more specialized.

In spring, when liquid water is likely (melted snow, etc.), it depends. There are two extremes:
— if you are likely to step in water, but below the tops of the boot, Gortex works very well
-- if you are constantly stepping in water over the tops of them, then a non-leather open mesh shoe is best as it lets the water as liquid and vapor leave. Gortex then reduces the rate water vapor can leave (it is breathable, but the point is how much) and it keeps the liquid water in.
— Many activities in hiking are between these two extremes and it is personnel experience/prejudices. This is especially true of fall when (often) almost any shoe/boot will be fine.

Going into summer/warm weather, leather boots (with or w/o Gortex) can hike very warm, and thus can lead to more sweating and thus too much water/not evaporating/overwhelming the Gortex ability. It comes down to how warm and how much you can manage your level of physical activity.

For myself, in most 3 season activity, I opt for a low (climbing) approach shoe constructed of synthetic mesh. But I think many people would prefer a higher boot made with Gortex. It comes down to trying one or the other and seeing if it works for you. But my point is not to assume “being breathable” is the entire answer. Gortex has limitations/potential issues because it reduces the rate water vapor can leave and holds the liquid water in.
12-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try Oboz

I adore Oboz footwear, from their trail runners to their ranger boots. They tend to run snug in the heel but roomy in the toes, which is what I like. Their boots, even the full leather models, feel broken in from day one. The interior lining is super smooth, with no seams or pressure points. I've been told at my local mountain shop that they have the lowest rate of customer returns of any brand they carry. Last month they had a fulls et of salesman's samples at 50-60% off, in my size. I bought four pair!

12-11-2021, 03:29 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX boots. They are reasonably low cut - higher than sneakers but not full height boots. They wear rather like sneakers, and I can walk quite quickly in them (have been needing to wear them on general walks lately owing to muddy trails).
12-11-2021, 03:40 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In September I got some Merrell hiking shoes (sort of a half-boot profile?). Waterproof membrane and Vibram sole. I'm certainly very happy with them for light trailing and/or city walks with bad weather.

Except frost - as usual, Vibram soles are too slippery there.
12-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
In September I got some Merrell hiking shoes (sort of a half-boot profile?). Waterproof membrane and Vibram sole. I'm certainly very happy with them for light trailing and/or city walks with bad weather.
I've found the quality of Merrell shoes has seemed to have dropped in recent years. They don't seem to be quite as durable or well made anymore...
12-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've found the quality of Merrell shoes has seemed to have dropped in recent years. They don't seem to be quite as durable or well made anymore...
Interesting. I'm using Salomon, they're comfortable and I like the Quick Lace system; but I don't find them particularly durable for the price.

I guess I should be reading/watching this thread for other ideas... hmm... should I risk online buying?
12-11-2021, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Interesting. I'm using Salomon, they're comfortable and I like the Quick Lace system; but I don't find them particularly durable for the price.

I guess I should be reading/watching this thread for other ideas... hmm... should I risk online buying?
I like Salomon Speedcross runners for hiking - they dry really quickly with the right socks, so I just wear them in stream crossings - quicklace is nice to loosen at the end of a long day and have slip-on shoes around camp so to say. I've had my current pair for two or three years now with decent use and they haven't fallen apart yet... that being said, I've had different series of Salomon shoes that fell apart quicker, the Speedcross are designed for running in more extreme terrain and a bit more durable...

If you find a brand that fits well in a certain size, I wouldn't worry about ordering online (especially if free returns), read reviews and such. It's a good way to get cheaper footwear waiting for them to come on clearance.
12-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alright, my interest has been piqued.
Are any of these available in truly wide widths i.e. EEE or 4E?
FWIW standard "wide" width is usually EE and not wide enough.

Or do all people who hike have D width feet?

Chris
12-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #44
Pentaxian

The Salomon I'm wearing (not at this specific moment, mind you) - that is, the X Ultra 3 GTX, aren't exactly wide; though I can't put that in letters. I have to wear them a bit before becoming perfectly comfortable.

I had a look at the prices and it seems they got quite a bit more expensive 140-150 euro, isn't that a bit much?
12-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The Salomon I'm wearing (not at this specific moment, mind you) - that is, the X Ultra 3 GTX, aren't exactly wide; though I can't put that in letters. I have to wear them a bit before becoming perfectly comfortable.

I had a look at the prices and it seems they got quite a bit more expensive 140-150 euro, isn't that a bit much?
The Salomon ones I bought some years ago (2015?) were some GTX series as well, I think the XA ones. Even back there I paid 120€ and they lasted* all of a year of very light use considering what I normally put my hiking shoes through. It was enough of a bad experience to say "nope, not again" to the brand...

*I had them repaired when the glue on BOTH sides failed almost at the same time, but then one got a large gash on the upper mesh... and the other had one of the lace loops cut. That's too many failures.