Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sorry to hear that Ed - J - I recently read a research report on hospital companies that focused on declining admissions - I never knew how much of the medical economy is elective.

Things should start leveling off late in the Spring and begin turning up late in 2009, but we are in for a decade of slower growth than we are accustomed to.
Neither did I

But it's not just elective stuff - people are choosing in some cases to remain sick, not get surgery when needed, etc, vs. facing co-pays and possible medical bills above insurance coverage.

Healthcare was supposed to be like the Mafia - recession proof.

(Wonder how the Gotti's are doing?)

11-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Well, 15 years on the job and I felt secure.

No such luck. Major, major cutbacks at my company.

After 15 years, I was the least senior member of management and they got me in this round. Unfortunately for some of my co-workers, this may just be the first round.
Hey Ed, seriously sorry to hear this.

Seaain
11-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I've been thru this before

Sorry to hear this Ed

My wife was cut this past May from the financial sector and I have survived 2 rounds of layoffs, but really do not know how long my company, which is tied to residential construction can carry on. I am prepared for the worst hoping for the best.

Maybe the new administration will enact a WPA type program hiring photographers to document how well our congressmen and the Wall Streeters are doing on our dime.
11-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Terrible news Ed, I hope things turn around soon for you.

11-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Keep the chin up.

May I suggest you give a thought to running a small home based business? I know of friends who went through layoffs and used it to make a career switch. It is a lot of hard work but it it can be immensely rewarding.
11-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ed, what are they doing to replace people (outsourcing etc)? Or is it just like, "your position is no longer needed"?

Also, what industry was this...if you don't mind
11-26-2008, 01:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Well, 15 years on the job and I felt secure.

No such luck. Major, major cutbacks at my company.

After 15 years, I was the least senior member of management and they got me in this round. Unfortunately for some of my co-workers, this may just be the first round.
Same here mate in Feb 08. Worked for a big bastard insurance company for 15 years and all our team got the boot. I would prefer the pathetic high end CEO to go, but they make their 5.6 bill and piss off.
Sorry to hear about your situation, but most redundant colleagues I speak too now are piss happy and could not give a **** about the previous job. Geez mate, I'm beekeeping now after 20 years in stupid stressed I.T.
You take care and laugh soon. Don't get disgruntled, just move on like a man.

Peter

Last edited by hooppjs; 11-26-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: fullstop needed
11-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

11-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

So sorry to hear this... I've been losing friends to the rolling layoff for a year now - they don't even bother doing it in batches, rather seem to hit randomly at any given month end in any given area.
11-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, this is a tough break.

I can provide one bit of solace: I've worked for a cyclical manufacturing company for over thirty years; during that time there have been a number of "restructuring" events that have sent friends of mine out the door. Although they were stunned at first, everyone of those folks found new jobs that were at least as good as the ones they left; some even credit their separation as a liberation that allowed them to take a new direction.

I wish you the very best of luck, my friend.

Jer
11-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #26
Pentaxian

That's a real bummer Ed, best of luck finding other work.
I know the company I work for, their orders are down 22% from last year, and most of the employees had hours cut this year to keep them from having to do layoffs. It's hard to keep from cutting hours/jobs/whatever they can even if they did plan ahead wisely when you're down 22%, (and most companies didn't plan on anything remotely like this to happen)

Again, best of luck to you.
11-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Last week I heard a radio recording of G.W Bush made in 2002 or 2003, on TV where he said that he ordered his financial experts to work out a plan with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to enable all Americans to own their own homes.

See, here we are, 5 years later and the world is in pieces.
It sounds allmost as the butterfly effect....

Ed, I truely hope you can find a new job with a better future for yourself and your family.

- Bert
11-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear it chief. Maybe i can help a little, maybe. I know my industry is booming so if you look for some Market Research interviewing positions that should keep the income coming in until you find somethign else. It's usually evening work so it leaves the days to search for career type jobs.

Just a thought.

This will help you find companies in your area (if any). Marketing Research Association - Directing the Future of Research
11-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad luck mate. Wedding photographer now eh? Or professional spammer?
11-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Ed, I'm sorry to hear about this. I have never gone through a layoff, so I can't imagine what you and your family are feeling. I am retired civil service, but I worry so much for my 2 sons and their families. The older son lost a state job 2 years ago funded by a federal grant (Bush cut the funding for the whole office, and 14 people had a job on Monday, but not on Tuesday), and it took my son about a year to find another full-time job with benefits. Still, as parents, we always worry for them. I hope you find something soon -- and hopefully, it will be something you enjoy doing.