Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There is a reason why 2 factor identification exists.
You told them how to identify you. It's not really their fault that you can no longer provide them with the means to prove you are who you say you are.
Agreed, though the lack of customer support isn't ideal in this case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Agreed, though the lack of customer support isn't ideal in this case.
The problem is its a huge privacy issue to hand over the keys to an account without the claimant proving he/she is the owner.
The way to prove one is the owner is use a password, email a password reset because you no longer have the password, or use two factor authentication.
Google will even give you a free email to help with a password reset. I've had the same cell number for 20 years which makes two factor authentication easy. I guess if I change numbers I will have to edit the accounts that I use it on.
I have a hard time being angry at a company for protecting the privacy of it's clients.
06-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I can't recall the phone #. When Google tells you the # it will send the code to, they cover up certain digits with *, like 30#-2**-0*1*

---------- Post added 06-09-21 at 02:04 PM ----------

The problem is not a login or password problem. As I stated in my original post, I know the login and I know the password to the youtube account. However, Google insists, after I type those 2 things in, Google insists that I must verify the account with the forgotten cell phone #, because the "device isn't recognized" that I'm trying to login with.
Google didn't offer you "Try another way"?
06-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

When Google had their worldwide outage I had just changed my Google password and was in the process of logging all my devices back into the account when everything went down. Of course I didn't know about the outage as it wasn't reported for another hour or so. I kept trying to log in and failing resulting in me being locked out of my account for 3 or 4 days. Thanks Google.

06-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #20
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There is a reason why 2 factor identification exists.
You told them how to identify you. It's not really their fault that you can no longer provide them with the means to prove you are who you say you are.
When I created the youtube account, all I had to create was a login and password. Google didn't own it at the time. I supplied no phone # or created no two factor identification at the time - google must have attached my old cell ph# to the account when they took over youtube. I restate, I know the login and password to the youtube account. I also have access to the email address attached to the account.

---------- Post added 06-10-21 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
You would think you could verify your account with the email attached to the account - but that is not possible with Google. Only a cell phone verification code is acceptable to them.
06-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

When I created the youtube account, all I had to create was a login and password. Google didn't own it at the time. I supplied no phone # or created no two factor identification at the time - google must have attached my old cell ph# to the account when they took over youtube. I restate, I know the login and password to the youtube account. I also have access to the email address attached to the account.

---------- Post added 06-10-21 at 06:18 PM ----------

You would think you could verify your account with the email attached to the account - but that is not possible with Google. Only a cell phone verification code is acceptable to them.
For my own account I can verify with my phone number, a backup phone number (my wife's), tapping "yes" on my phone, using my Yubikey, or through my verified email address (Google sends you an emailed verify request when you first set it up) and a code.There's also Google Authenticator. If completely locked out of your account there are also one-time use codes, a set of 10, but you need to set up in advance. I printed them out and in my wallet.

Here's a 'splainer on ways to recover/log-in to your Google account when things go awry.
https://techwiser.com/login-to-google-account-without-verification-code-2/

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-10-2021 at 06:59 PM.
06-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #22
Closed Account

Original Poster
For my own account I can verify with my phone number, a backup phone number (my wife's), tapping "yes" on my phone, using my Yubikey, or through my verified email address (Google sends you an emailed verify request when you first set it up) and a code.There's also Google Authenticator. If completely locked out of your account there are also one-time use codes, a set of 10, but you need to set up in advance. I printed them out and in my wallet.

Here's a 'splainer on ways to recover/log-in to your Google account when things go awry.
How to Login to Google Account without Verification Code | TechWiser
I have been unable to find *anywhere* where google will verify an account with the verified email address.

06-11-2021, 03:25 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been unable to find *anywhere* where google will verify an account with the verified email address.
At the bottom of your 2-step verification page do you see "Get Help"? Tap it, scroll down to "Continue to Account Recovery" and follow the steps.

During account recovery Google gives you the option of sending an email with numeric code to your verified email address.
06-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #24
Closed Account

Original Poster
At the bottom of your 2-step verification page do you see "Get Help"? Tap it, scroll down to "Continue to Account Recovery" and follow the steps.

During account recovery Google gives you the option of sending an email with numeric code to your verified email address.

Sorry, but that doesn't work. When I click "get help" I get the following screen everytime:

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 06:48 AM ----------

I'll say the same thing I said in the linux forum: If anyone thinks they can sign in/recover my old youtube account, PM me and I'll give you my login & password. I have tried for like 3 hours.
So, I have basically given up on it.

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 07:10 AM ----------

Sure they do, as long as you use a cell ph# on file to get the code. They won't email the code (I still have the email attached to the account).
If you think you can login/recover the account, PM me and I'll provide the correct login and correct password.

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 07:18 AM ----------

I'll put this out there, since I can't access the account anyways.

Anyone that wants to try to get into my old youtube account, then please try to.

Login: filter@piziak.com (this is also the email address attached to the account & I have access to)
password: taffy123

It would be great if someone could get a verification email (code,link or whatever) emailed to filter@piziak.com. It would come directly to me and I could then proceed.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 06-11-2021 at 07:29 AM.
06-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Sorry, but that doesn't work. When I click "get help" I get the following screen everytime:

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 06:48 AM ----------

I'll say the same thing I said in the linux forum: If anyone thinks they can sign in/recover my old youtube account, PM me and I'll give you my login & password. I have tried for like 3 hours.
So, I have basically given up on it.

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 07:10 AM ----------

Sure they do, as long as you use a cell ph# on file to get the code. They won't email the code (I still have the email attached to the account).
If you think you can login/recover the account, PM me and I'll provide the correct login and correct password.

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 07:18 AM ----------

I'll put this out there, since I can't access the account anyways.

Anyone that wants to try to get into my old youtube account, then please try to.

Login: filter@piziak.com (this is also the email address attached to the account & I have access to)
password: taffy123

It would be great if someone could get a verification email (code,link or whatever) emailed to filter@piziak.com. It would come directly to me and I could then proceed.
This is what I see when I "Try another way"

06-11-2021, 09:34 AM   #26
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
This is what I see when I "Try another way"
Exactly. This is what I've been trying to tell everyone. I no longer have my old phone or phone #. It also continuously tells me it doesn't recognize the device.

I do, however, have the correct login, password, and still have access to the email address attached to it (filter@piziak.com).

Google is the only internet entity I know of that won't let you login when you have the login and password, & the only entity that won't let you verify an account with a valid email.

So, again, I hate Google.
06-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Google is the only internet entity I know of that won't let you login when you have the login and password
Oh, I could tell you of a few others Some seem to have a policy of deleting your account if you do not log in for a while.
06-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #28
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Oh, I could tell you of a few others Some seem to have a policy of deleting your account if you do not log in for a while.
Well, I would actually prefer they delete the account than leave youtube movies on there that I don't want in the public anymore, and the ones I do want, I've transferred to my new account with a website that converts yotuube movies to mp4 (then uploaded it to my new google/youtube account). There is one movie on there, in particular, that is somewhat popular and had over 15,000 views - now that I've added it to my new youtube account, it just looks like I'm a poser that copied the movie and uploaded a duplicate of it myself - with the old youtube account movie always coming up first when people do a search for it (since it's more popular in "clicks.")

Regardless, the account is unrecoverable. So I can't edit, remove movies, or delete the account.

Again, if anyone thinks they can crack this youtube enigma, the login is "filter@piziak.com", the password its "taffy123", and the valid email associated with the account is same as login (which I'd receive an email to get into the account if anyone can get to any screen on google and have them email me any type of verification link, etc...)

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 06-11-2021 at 08:28 PM.
06-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
It is infuriating when you get cut off from a provider or forum for no apparent or good reason. You get an almost mocking "Have you forgotten your password?" when it is themselves who have forgotten it. I don't forget passwords.

You can housekeep as much as you like one day, but the provider can fiddle with their system overnight and next day you can't log in.
This time it appears there is a reason the OP is cutoff, by not keeping personal info current for things like account recovery. Glitches do sometimes happen that cause login problems, but that isn't the case here. YouTube/Google is functioning as intended with a security check. That the check can not be validated is not an error on Google's part for having an out of date phone number. We can argue all day about a lack of alternate methods, but this is how Google is set up and we have to abide by it to use their services.

I remember when the buyout happened, Google forced me to merge my YouTube and Google accounts into one, and I was unable to keep them separated. I'm surprised that old YouTube account still exists at all if it's been unused for so long.