Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome Driver?

http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/small_player/preloader.swf?vendor_id=2...F&autoplay=0Ke

11-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Damn Brit

That's crazy. I'm surprised he hasn't been on Top Gear.
It's just a shame that kids see stuff like that and try to emulate it on the streets. There have been a few deaths this year from 'sideshows' in Oakland.
11-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay, I'm not a big fan of the drift racing stuff but I have to admit that was a pretty impressive display. Four sets of tires though ... so was that vid from a single run?
11-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Okay, I'm not a big fan of the drift racing stuff but I have to admit that was a pretty impressive display. Four sets of tires though ... so was that vid from a single run?
Gymkhana isn't drifting. It's pretty much time attack on a small course, sometimes requiring a drift in order to be faster. What they do is have 2 mirror tracks next to each other, two cars start off at a buzzer and have to complete the exact same course head to head. First to finish wins. So it's drag+drift+time attack...

11-27-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

HE IS A STIG

cheers
11-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The guy on the Segway is an idiot with a death wish... And Gary is right about the kids thinking they can do this too. I imagine it took several takes to get this whole vid. At least the guy is doing it at an abandoned airport and not on the street.

sidebar... what is it about the western US that grows so many abandoned airports? There is no such thing back in the east...
11-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Impressive, but keep in mind the guy is a professional rally driver: Ken Block (rally driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Rally drivers are the best drivers most people have never heard of, at least in North America

11-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #8

The man is brilliant! Cupic? I believe you may be on to something. STIG-tastic!
11-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What a driver !! I love watching rally races, but unfortunately here in the States, most people would rather watch some "good ole boys" goin' 'round in circles. So not much rally is on TV. Speed Channel used to show it sometimes, but it seems now they think we all want to watch two dimwits racing their Camaros on a local dragstrip...for hours on end....
11-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree . awesome driving.

Gary, you say kids want to emulate this on streets in your area, I have to add, and everywhere else, to be sure.
Street drag racing is a real problem for police here too. Immediate confiscation of car now!
11-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Fantastic stuff!

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
The guy on the Segway is an idiot with a death wish... And Gary is right about the kids thinking they can do this too. I imagine it took several takes to get this whole vid. At least the guy is doing it at an abandoned airport and not on the street.

sidebar... what is it about the western US that grows so many abandoned airports? There is no such thing back in the east...
Well, I'm sure the guy on the Segway works with the driver daily and trusts him implicitly. See minute mark 3:16 and 6:00ish in this video to see the kinds of things guys do under my hovering helicopter in the summer... You might think it crazy too (I do, but I'm inside ).

I think most of those abandoned airports were related to SAC, and since were no longer maintaing as much hardware in the air loaded with nukes as we used to, they got downsized. It's wild though. Sacramento alone has two huge airports which are now civilian, but were at one time big time airforce facilities.
11-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well that got my adrenaline rushing. Wooooo! Some great photos op's there. I know a couple of rally drivers in NZ and this reminded me of them...talented, but nuts!!

Last edited by dazman; 11-28-2008 at 04:26 AM.
11-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
........Four sets of tires though ... ....
Terrible for the environment
11-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
So not much rally is on TV. Speed Channel used to show it sometimes, but it seems now they think we all want to watch two dimwits racing their Camaros on a local dragstrip...for hours on end....
I used to subscribe to Speed Channel, specifically to watch WRC and other european series. Got hooked on Australian V8 Supercars along the way. Then Speed Channel changed its name to SpeedTV (while effectively becoming NASCAR TV), and I lost interest.
11-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Mad drifting skills. Rally drivers are indeed the most capable lunatics when it comes to four-wheel racing.