Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #1
dlhawes

OO-sumo

"Grand Sumo" July tournement begins this Sunday, July 4. Or as we used to say back in DelRay, "the Fotha JOO-lye".
Very entertaining, if you like sports with a touch of violence and a big heaping of personal responsibility. (Ozeki-ranked Asanoyama lost his rank and was suspended for six tournements for having gone to nightclubs with others during the virus-lockdown, which was more severely implemented among the wrestlers due to the risk of cluster-infections in the "stables".)
I really hope that someone in Nagoya will go there with his Pentax outfit and show us some good ring-side photographs.
GRAND SUMO Highlights - TV - NHK WORLD - English

07-17-2021, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two rounds left and a 2 horse race - Hakuho vs Terunofuji in a Mongolian showdown. Going for the G.O.A.T.
07-18-2021, 04:26 AM   #3
dlhawes

I thought T'fuji did as well as either Kisenosato or Kakuryū up against Hakuho. I'm betting he gets his Yokozuna after this.
07-19-2021, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The showdown was a worthy finale! Well done to Hakuho after a long string of DNS's and withdrawals.

Wife and I visited Japan in 2017. Didn't get to see a bout live but each afternoon, after the days sightseeing, we would tune in to the local live broadcast and watch an hour or two with Japanese commentry and a beer from the vending machine in the hotel. Haven't missed a tournament since but can only watch the highlights on NHK's Sumo Highlights package about 24 hours after the bout.

10-03-2021, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Well he did it! And was dominant and worthy winner. Seems to only have occasional problems with the short and powerful pusher thrusters. And Hakuho has announced his retirement.....not sure if anyone is likely to come close to his record - phenomenal!