Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Watch-ya Wearing

I’ve seen a few threads on various interests, but none on watches.

My granddad gave me a Seiko Kinetic for my 18th birthday and I wore the darn thing every day until I was 30, when my wife noticed the crystal was cracked and gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas.

The Apple Watch was pretty cool, but I’m not a fan of sending obsolete electronics to land fills and didn’t want another when it broke. I did lots of research and landed on another Seiko because the first had lasted so long.

I didn’t notice when I was working from home (during covid), but I’ve recently discovered that it doesn’t fit under a shirt sleeve when I go into the office and have been thinking about getting a 2nd watch that’s a little less casual.

What other Pentaxians are wearing?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by trixtroll; 07-02-2021 at 04:31 PM.
07-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My Omega Speedmaster Professional (The Moon Watch) is in the shop getting serviced and I cannot wait to get it back on my wrist. I bought it many years ago when I could not afford it, but I love it and take care of it. I also wear my late father's Omega Seamaster (which belonged to his late father).

The Moon Watch is not practical. It is a manual. So, I need to wind it regularly. Also, while it may take the rigors of outer space one does need to be careful not to be too rough with it here on Earth. It is simple, though, and both sporty and dressy at the same time.
07-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seiko Kinetic Titanium , I purchased it in Singapore ~ 1990 , paid SIN$499.
I was extremely happy with it.
Unfortunately , the charging/battery module stopped holding charge around 2018.
28 years , not bad!!!

Well , it was too expensive to fix it , still somewhere at home , absolutely loved it!
I moved on , Apple watch now , I also love it.

---------- Post added 07-03-21 at 09:02 ----------

oh , and before Seiko.
I had Doxa , Tissot and something made in Germany with mechanical auto winding ( a bit noisy ) mechanism.
07-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My current watch is a Benyar skeleton design watch, which allows viewing of the movement, front and back. It is an auto winding watch, not electric. I've owned many watches over the years, including a nice Seiko, and rarely take them off. This probably explains why I have killed so many. In this age few people wear watches as smartphones meet this need.

07-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Seiko Kinetic Titanium , I purchased it in Singapore ~ 1990 , paid SIN$499.
I was extremely happy with it.
Unfortunately , the charging/battery module stopped holding charge around 2018.
28 years , not bad!!!

Well , it was too expensive to fix it , still somewhere at home , absolutely loved it!
I moved on , Apple watch now , I also love it.

---------- Post added 07-03-21 at 09:02 ----------

oh , and before Seiko.
I had Doxa , Tissot and something made in Germany with mechanical auto winding ( a bit noisy ) mechanism.
I replaced the capacitor on my seiko kinetic for around $17 before the crystal got cracked. Not a terrible project if you have good eyes and steady hands.
07-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seiko SQ100

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I replaced the capacitor on my seiko kinetic for around $17 before the crystal got cracked. Not a terrible project if you have good eyes and steady hands.
Right , I managed to locate it.
It looks rather tired , titanium is very soft metal

I was quoted $300 to replace kinetic module , by the local Seiko service agent.
Are you sure that capacitor would fix it?
I was told that there is a miniature rechargeable battery within the module.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro  Photo 
07-03-2021, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My new Timex

$22.00 plus shipping, brand new in package.

Try not to be too jealous, guys...

Chris

07-03-2021, 04:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Right , I managed to locate it.
It looks rather tired , titanium is very soft metal

I was quoted $300 to replace kinetic module, by the local Seiko service agent.
Are you sure that capacitor would fix it?
I was told that there is a miniature rechargeable battery within the module.
I suppose yours could have other failed parts, but mine was just the capacitor/battery.

Mine would run while being worn, but would stop within a few hours of being taken off and I’d have to shake it for 5 minutes to get it going again. I got a $200 quote from Seiko and was not willing to spend that much, so I figured I’d try it myself and toss it in the trash if I failed.

The Seiko parts diagrams that I found online refered to it as a capacitor-battery, but it’s really just a lithium ion battery. There should be a hyphenated model number on the back, but the first half is what helped me find a parts list online.

There are all kinds of YouTube videos on the topic, but this is the one I followed:

07-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #9

Got this Mido on today.
Watches is my 2nd obsession (photo gear is the other). Have > 100.

I seldom wear the same watch two days in a row, always fun to choose which one will get wrist duty next.

07-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

Citizen Eco-Drive.
I've had a couple over the years, including a Blue Angels Chronograph. It self-sets from the atomic radio clock out of Colorado.
The BA watch is a big, bulky thing, so I got another, smaller version, without the self-setting feature.

Kirk B.