Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2021, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got an RV, 3 weeks cross country

Leaving this weekend on a 3 week cross country trip. Plans are flexible, just going to be at Yellowstone 7/21-23 and in California 7-30 thru 8/2ish. Im getting pretty excited, even ordered a Samyang 14mm F2.8 I've always wanted. Still using a K3.

It's a family trip, figured since I lost my career during Covid that this is the time to do it. So the wife and I are taking our 4 kids on the trip of a lifetime. The second round of stimulus basically covered the cost of the entire trip 😁.

Stops on top of our wish list:
Yellowstone
Moab area
Redwoods
Santa Monica pier
Yosemite
Grand canyon
Somewhere nice on the Mississippi

A couple years ago we made a mini trip down through smoky mountains and gulf coast. Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here.

So here goes nothing

07-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not sure you can make it fit into your plans but here is a possible photo opportunity:

QuoteQuote:
Big Boy Is Rolling On The Tracks Again August and September 2021
Big Boy Is Rolling On The Tracks Again August and September 2021 - PentaxForums.com

Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Louisiana

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-10-2021 at 03:52 PM.
07-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not sure you can make it fit into your plans but here is a possible photo opportunity:

Big Boy Is Rolling On The Tracks Again August and September 2021 - PentaxForums.com

Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Louisiana

UP: Steam Schedule
Looks like I'm gonna miss it, got return RV 8/7 in Pittsburgh
07-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which routes are you taking I-90, I-80 or I-70? Depending on how you do it, you could add short detours for Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument
Look at a map, but in Utah you could save time and miles by going southwest from Moab down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then north from through Kanab Utah to Zion National Park, which is very different from Moab/Canyonlands and Arches.

07-11-2021, 04:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Which routes are you taking I-90, I-80 or I-70? Depending on how you do it, you could add short detours for Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument
Look at a map, but in Utah you could save time and miles by going southwest from Moab down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then north from through Kanab Utah to Zion National Park, which is very different from Moab/Canyonlands and Arches.
The preliminary map looks like this. Google only lets me add about 8 stops but there's going to be more California coast, more Rockies, more Midwest

07-11-2021, 04:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
Google only lets me add about 8 stops
Check out MapQuest, it will often optimize the route planning as well. Have fun!
07-11-2021, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Park fees

https://usparkpass.com/?msclkid=0d8af3d4cfc41082ab82933e29e8203f

https://usparkpass.com/senior-military-access-or-other-passes/

it looks like you may be headed along I 70 in Kansas

it is a toll road b/t Topeka and Kansas City

wave as you go through Topeka

possible stops

QuoteQuote:
We usually tell visitors to allot at least 1 hour when visiting the Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site. That said, some people spend anywhere from 1-2 hours (and sometimes more) here at the site. In regards to the driving tour: If you are looking to use the app and listen to the narrations while driving by the sites and taking photos, we recommend 1-2 hours (to allow for driving time, getting out and reading signs, taking photos, etc.). However, some of the stops, such as the Kansas Museum of History, Kansas State Capitol, and the Great Overland Station are museums that you might want to spend some time in. For example, you could easily spend about 2 hours at the Kansas Museum of History.

Download a copy of our brochure listing 16 stops on the driving tour. Simply follow the map and dial 785-338-4041 at each stop for more information about each location. To stream the tour onto your smartphone or internet-enabled device, visit www.bit.ly/BrowntoBrown (including capital letters) to see images along with the recording. Brochures are also available at Brown v. Board of Education NHS, the first stop on the tour!
Brochures - Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

combat air museum

http://combatairmuseum.org/

Kansas City has museums ranging from The Negro baseball league to Jazz to fine arts

are you going from KC to St. Louis ?

UP big boy locations

BigBoy Site City State Inside/Outside
4004 Holliday Park Cheyenne Wyoming Outside
4005 Forney Museum of Transportation Denver Colorado Inside
4006 The Museum of Transportation St. Louis Missouri Outside
4012 SteamTown National Historic Site Scranton Pennsylvania Outside
4014 Los Angeles County Fairplex Pomona California Outside [ ??? Cheyenne Wyoming ??? ]
4017 National Railroad Museum Green Bay Wisconsin Inside
4018 Age of Steam Railroad Museum Dallas Texas Outside
4023 Durham Western Heritage Museum Omaha Nebraska Outside

http://www.trainweb.org/jlsrr/bigboy/information/bigboy%20information%20cent...or%20locations

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-11-2021 at 05:40 AM.
07-11-2021, 06:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is "an RV"?

why "an" , shouldn't be "a"?

yes Australia is faraway from America.
07-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not sure if "a" or "an" is correct. Would probably help if the whole sentence was correct, don't think start off with "Got" was proper. English is so confusing that even Americans can't figure it out so we all have our own dialect
07-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
Not sure if "a" or "an" is correct. Would probably help if the whole sentence was correct, don't think start off with "Got" was proper. English is so confusing that even Americans can't figure it out so we all have our own dialect
thank you , but my real question was not about the grammar , I want to know what RV is?
07-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
thank you , but my real question was not about the grammar , I want to know what RV is?
RV = recreational vehicle

Large mobile home with sleeping, cooking and bathroom facilities
07-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK , thank you.
I remember when I was flying to Grand Canyon ( LAS - GCN ) I saw hundreds of them.
We have them in Australia, they are usually much smaller and called Motorhomes.

Dear me , it was 20 years ago , time flies.......
07-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Park fees
Good point, I recommend buying the annual pass for this trip, you will save a lot of money and definitely put it to use this year.
07-11-2021, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
30 years ago we were just starting out on our "Great Western Trip". Pulled a pop-up camper with out minivan. Did it with 4 kids too, Awesome experience. We stayed north.

After Rocky Mountian National Park we crossed Colorado in US 40 and did Dinosaur National Monument. Then through southern Idaho to Bend Oregon on US 20. Did Crate Lake and headed into the northern part of California to see the redwoods. Then up the Oregon Coast, Mt. St Helen's and then across northern Idaho toward Glacier National Park. Then Yellowstone (Camped in Gardiner, MT) Hit the Black Hills and Badlands off of I90 on the way home to near Rochester, NY.

We chose the northern half of the country to miss the SW heat in July. Plenty to see and do no matter what route you choose. The biggest problem we had was deciding what to skip not what to see.

The only reservations we had was for the campground in Gardiner, MT. Staying at state parks along the way saved us a lot of money. Out trip took 4 1/2 weeks and cover 9,100 miles of driving. For what it cost we could have gone to Disney World for four days, Have fun out there and be safe.

Pro tips - Take and drink plenty of water. Hydration is extremely important out west. You do not accumulate sweat on your body out there, It immediately evaporates and you may not be aware of how much moisture you are losing until it is too late. We had a 3 gallon cooler that we filled with ice and water every morning. By nightfall it was empty. The humidity is so low that you lose moisture just sitting in the car as you drive. Hats and sunglasses for everyone too.
07-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Good point, I recommend buying the annual pass for this trip, you will save a lot of money and definitely put it to use this year.
on it

---------- Post added 07-11-21 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
30 years ago we were just starting out on our "Great Western Trip". Pulled a pop-up camper with out minivan. Did it with 4 kids too, Awesome experience. We stayed north.

After Rocky Mountian National Park we crossed Colorado in US 40 and did Dinosaur National Monument. Then through southern Idaho to Bend Oregon on US 20. Did Crate Lake and headed into the northern part of California to see the redwoods. Then up the Oregon Coast, Mt. St Helen's and then across northern Idaho toward Glacier National Park. Then Yellowstone (Camped in Gardiner, MT) Hit the Black Hills and Badlands off of I90 on the way home to near Rochester, NY.

We chose the northern half of the country to miss the SW heat in July. Plenty to see and do no matter what route you choose. The biggest problem we had was deciding what to skip not what to see.

The only reservations we had was for the campground in Gardiner, MT. Staying at state parks along the way saved us a lot of money. Out trip took 4 1/2 weeks and cover 9,100 miles of driving. For what it cost we could have gone to Disney World for four days, Have fun out there and be safe.

Pro tips - Take and drink plenty of water. Hydration is extremely important out west. You do not accumulate sweat on your body out there, It immediately evaporates and you may not be aware of how much moisture you are losing until it is too late. We had a 3 gallon cooler that we filled with ice and water every morning. By nightfall it was empty. The humidity is so low that you lose moisture just sitting in the car as you drive. Hats and sunglasses for everyone too.
Thank you. Iight check out that Glacier park. We have six days to kill from YNP to California