Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ceiling fan and remote control ... suggestions needed from a handyman !

Hey folks!!

Story goes like this:

Installed a ceiling fan yesterday on a 18 feet high ceiling.
All is working well with the provided remote controller which turns the light ON/OFF, turns the fan to LOW, MED, HIGH settings (and OFF too, of course).

And, stupid me, I never checked whether this remote controller could also control the spin/rotation in clockwise/counter clockwise fashion.
And it doesn't !
The problem is that the darn switch to control the rotation direction is a "mechanical" one.... you have to actually "switch" it on the ceiling fan unit which means to climb way up there in a dangerous fashion with a ladder !!!

Now, I am wondering if it would be possible to design/build/install "something" (a different remote controller maybe?) that would allow for controlling the spin direction???
I found a PDF manual for this fan but it exceeds the maximum 3 MB allowed.

Any idea/solution/suggestion would be welcome.

Last edited by jpzk; 07-14-2021 at 05:12 PM.
07-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yeah, generally you have to pick a direction and stick with it, at least seasonally.
07-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, generally you have to pick a direction and stick with it, at least seasonally.
Yeah, I know but it sure doesn't appeal to me to climb up there even if it is "only" twice a year.
07-14-2021, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yeah, I know but it sure doesn't appeal to me to climb up there even if it is "only" twice a year.
Well, you'll have to get up there at least once or twice a year to clean the blades, so you may as well flick the switch then.
Or, simply run the fan at it's slowest speed setting in winter.

07-14-2021, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Once a year you can just push it with a long stick
07-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

Now, I am wondering if it would be possible to design/build/install "something" (a different remote controller maybe?) that would allow for controlling the spin direction???
Or, I suppose it should be possible to find an electronic switching solution or an electro-mechanical switching solution and operate that with a dedicated remote. Some ceiling fans do have remotes that is capable of changing the direction from the remote, so I'm guessing yours is not one of those.
07-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that switch pmechanically changes the circuit path, I cannot imagine replace that switch without having to dismount the fan entirely.

Ceiling fans are a real boon in our area, keeping the air circulating makes a big difference.

07-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, you'll have to get up there at least once or twice a year to clean the blades, so you may as well flick the switch then.
Or, simply run the fan at it's slowest speed setting in winter.
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Once a year you can just push it with a long stick
I'll have my son do that when he comes visiting. I'm not going up there on a ladder!
As for the stick ... I'll need a VERY long stick with binoculars to see where I'm going with this.

---------- Post added 07-14-21 at 09:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Or, I suppose it should be possible to find an electronic switching solution or an electro-mechanical switching solution and operate that with a dedicated remote. Some ceiling fans do have remotes that is capable of changing the direction from the remote, so I'm guessing yours is not one of those.
Indeed, the remote provided with the fan is not capable of changing rotating direction.
That's my fault, I should have asked before I bought it.

---------- Post added 07-14-21 at 09:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I think that switch pmechanically changes the circuit path, I cannot imagine replace that switch without having to dismount the fan entirely.

Ceiling fans are a real boon in our area, keeping the air circulating makes a big difference.
I'll deal with it.