Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Tune up" package for my laptop - is it worth it?

I use a Lenovo laptop for work and it does the job very well. Every so often I get a pop up from Levovo offering to scan my laptop for "performance issues" and, probably inevitably, it finds some issues that "need fixing". Of course there's an offer to buy a support programme that will scan and fix these issues every week.
I haven't noticed any problems with my laptops performance so what do the people with better IT knowledge than me think? Is it worth signing up for the package or are they a waste of money? It's not expensive ($40 for a year) but there's no point spending the money if it won't have any benefit. Thanks.

07-22-2021, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Save your money. Chances are you'll just clutter up the system more with unnecessary stuff. I never needed something like that in the 20 years I use PCs. If you run into an issue, there is a freeware that does the same stuff that this offers.

Just make sure you have backed up your valuable data properly (at least 3 copies, at least 2 different forms of storage, at least 1 off-site). If data doesn't exist twice, it might just not exist at all, because if the device it is on fails it can be gone in a second. Failures happen very rarely, but it's best to be prepared for the case that they do.
07-22-2021, 01:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is that the "Lenovo Vantage Smart Performance Service"? If it is, then at least it's a genuine Lenovo product rather than malware.

Assuming you've got a decent antivirus package already then I'd say that you don't need it, because it doesn't do anything in terms of "tuning up" your laptop that you can't easily do yourself following simple online guides. Meanwhile, it'll no doubt be running in the background watching everything you do and reporting at all back to Lenovo "To improve our products for your convenience". So it'll probably slow your laptop down rather than speed it up.
07-22-2021, 01:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
... Is it worth signing up for the package or are they a waste of money? ...
Don't bother with it. I have a few Lenovo laptop too. I go to their website to download driver every once in a while particularly when Microsoft rollout large update which it is a good idea to check for a new driver from the manufacture. Beside that, I don't let any software from the manufacture to run on my system. It is acting like a spyware looking at what I am doing, report back to its headquarter and message me to pay more for this and that, IMO. I wouldn't pay for a spyware like that.

07-22-2021, 01:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
need to be careful

I recently retired.
At work I used Mac and Dell.
All Dells were running SupportAssist , provided by Dell ( free! ) kept all hardware / drivers / firmware up to date.
I was very happy with it.
We did talk about Lenovo , there were some comments , one needs to be careful , the Company is based in China.

Perhaps it is paranoia, I do not know.
I like Mac , all hardware/software always up to date and you can also run Windows.
I run WIN11 ARM on my Mac M1 , no problems.
07-22-2021, 02:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I recently retired.
All Dells were running SupportAssist , provided by Dell ( free! ) kept all hardware / drivers / firmware up to date.
We did talk about Lenovo , there were some comments , one needs to be careful , the Company is based in China.

I like Mac , all hardware/software always up to date and you can also run Windows.
Slightly OT but Dell left me swinging in the breeze for a month when my new laptop had a problem and it made running my business very, very difficult so they'll never get another cent out of me. Their "support" was worth jacks**t when I needed them.

So far the Lenovo has worked faultlessly. Good enough for me.
07-22-2021, 02:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys - confirmed what I suspected but it's good to get expert advice. I'll save my pennies.

07-22-2021, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Have nothing to do with it! Pop-ups saying your computer is running slow, needs a scan, has a virus, is being used by scammers (ironic that), are common lures used by scammers. Even iIf the real Lenovo really do send such pop-ups, that is exactly the sort of thing that scammers would be likely to fake as well. And even if it is really Lenovo, wouldn't they just love to sell you a service or new laptop for no particular reason?

Decide for yourself whether you need a check and if so make an approach to a provider through a website or email address which you know for certain is genuine.

PS : Added 28 July, the video I linked has become unavailable, because, from Wikipedia :

QuoteQuote:
On July 26, 2021, Browning himself fell victim to scammers, who pretended to be YouTube support and misled him into deleting his own [YouTube] channel.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 4 Days Ago at 02:46 AM. Reason: Added PS
07-22-2021, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I recently retired.

Although Lenovo is based in China, it'd be extremely foolish to do anything seriously questionable these days at the risk of (a) alienating its considerable global corporate customer base, and (b) inviting US sanctions (in light of the Huawei situation). Long gone are the days of Lenovo Service Engine, pre-installed Superfish Visual Discovery (for which Lenovo was charged and settled with the FTC) and Lenovo Customer Feedback Program. Yes, folks have since discovered occasional security vulnerabilities (not the same thing as malicious software or processes), but that happens with USA-based brands too... Dell, for example.

I'm actually very impressed with the almost-zero-bloatware Windows 10 build that came with my recently-purchased Lenovo Legion 5i 17, compared with that on my older Lenovo tablet PC. A thorough examination of startup and background processes reveals it's remarkably "vanilla". I'd be far more concerned about the information collected and used by the likes of Microsoft, Google, web trackers and social media sites than anything Lenovo might be doing in 2021.

---

As to the OP's original question, I'd have no concerns about running Lenovo's paid-for tune-up tools (assuming it's a verified genuine Lenovo service), but I see no reason to do so when you can tune it yourself in just a few minutes. There are plenty of articles on the web explaining how, and this is stuff we should all know about our operating system. Just search in DuckDuckGo (or other favourite search engine) for "how to tune your Windows 10 PC". It's very straightforward...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-22-2021 at 05:50 AM.
07-22-2021, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just run the free version of CCleaner, it removes all the cookies, trackers etc.
07-22-2021, 06:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't install anything of the sort. Basic maintenance of a computer is fairly easy, like DartmoorDave says, by following some online guides. I'd wager I spend less than a couple hours every few months, at most.

Slightly OT but Dell left me swinging in the breeze for a month when my new laptop had a problem and it made running my business very, very difficult so they'll never get another cent out of me. Their "support" was worth jacks**t when I needed them.

So far the Lenovo has worked faultlessly. Good enough for me.
I once met someone who was working at Dell's support teams (on-site support for large organizations, apparently), and they told me that the company had dismantled at lot of the EU-based teams to restructure the division or some such, about five years ago if memory serves right... (I had no way to verify this so take with a grain of salt)

Predictably, this lead to a nosedive in support quality.
4 Days Ago   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I just run the free version of CCleaner, it removes all the cookies, trackers etc.
Been using that for quite a while. It's all I need.
4 Days Ago   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Been using that for quite a while. It's all I need.
I installed CCleaner and I run it almost every time before I shut the laptop down - it does a good job. What I find amazing is that I end up with dozens more trackers to be cleaned than websites I've visited. Where do they all come from??
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I installed CCleaner and I run it almost every time before I shut the laptop down - it does a good job. What I find amazing is that I end up with dozens more trackers to be cleaned than websites I've visited. Where do they all come from??
A single website can drop a dozen trackers or more due to advertisement, although in the EU we're protected by the GDPR pretty well. Just in case, I use Firefox, with NoScript and UBlock Origin as addons (Plus DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials and PrivacyBadger for automated tracker blocking). I also have FacebookContainer to sandbox everything related to Facebook and keep it separate from everything else on the browser.
4 Days Ago   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
A single website can drop a dozen trackers or more due to advertisement, although in the EU we're protected by the GDPR pretty well ... I use Firefox,.
The GDPR is an utter failure. (I am in the UK but the regulation still applies).

Go to almost any website at random (EU hosted or not), just the home page or any other single page, and then back out of it immediately. Now look at your "Privacy and Securty" area of Firefox and go to manage cookies. 99 times out of 100 you will find it will have dropped cookies on you, sometimes dozens of them and taking up to 100s of Kb. The only websites that I am aware of that do not stick cookies on you are my own.

You may or may not have seen a pop-up with apparent options to choose cookies. This will typically have a list of hundreds of "partner" cookies of which you will would need to untick each box, one by one. Otherwise accept all cookies or you cannot get rid of the pop-up blocking the screen. The GDPR is toothless.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 4 Days Ago at 03:53 AM. Reason: Tpyo