Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
Closed Account

Mocking birds can be a bit aggressive

For some reason, there are a lot of mocking birds around my house (in the past month or so).

My father put some cracked corn out for the birds/squirrels. A squirrel was on the ground eating the corn, and a mocking bird had issues with it. The mocking bird kept "dive bombing" the squirrel. The squirrel put up with it for a while, as he continued to eat. The squirrel finally had enough, and his fight or flight instinct kicked in - the squirrel decided to flee. The squirrel ran down the entire length of the yard, in escape mode, but during his entire run, the mocking bird continued to dive bomb him 5 or 6 times all the way to the end of the yard.

Mid way through this ordeal, I grabbed my k-s2 and 55-300mm lens and was going to get a shot of the bird dive bombing the squirrel, but I was too late - I only got to see the squirrels escape run.

07-22-2021, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #2

We once had a Dalmatian, Dottie (of course), who was deaf, a common thing with the breed.
The oak tree in our back yard gained a resident mockingbird one spring, and she made a nest on a branch about 6 feet off of the ground.
Every time Dottie would go out in the yard, she would wander under the tree, and mama bird would start screaming at the dog, who remained oblivious to all of the noise. Eventually, the bird would start her bombing runs, and tag Dottie on the butt. The poor dog would turn around and look, but it never occurred to her to look up. I don't think she ever figured it out, and, eventually, she would wander away from the tree, and the bird would leave her alone.

Kirk B.
07-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mocking birds are pretty fearless. I once saw one dive bombing a red tailed hawk that was perched on a outside widow sill in the office building where I worked. They get very agitated if you get near their nest.
07-22-2021, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You could try having cracked corn in one hands outside with a remote control in another hand and the camera on a tripod just to proof if the birds are really really aggressive and perhaps get a real good photo of bird attack human too

07-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
We once had a Dalmatian, Dottie (of course), who was deaf, a common thing with the breed.
The oak tree in our back yard gained a resident mockingbird one spring, and she made a nest on a branch about 6 feet off of the ground.
Every time Dottie would go out in the yard, she would wander under the tree, and mama bird would start screaming at the dog, who remained oblivious to all of the noise. Eventually, the bird would start her bombing runs, and tag Dottie on the butt. The poor dog would turn around and look, but it never occurred to her to look up. I don't think she ever figured it out, and, eventually, she would wander away from the tree, and the bird would leave her alone.

Kirk B.
Thanks for sharing your story. Poor dog, smiles. I bet the dog eventually associated the tree with a poing in the butte and stayed clear of the tree! LOL

---------- Post added 07-22-21 at 07:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Mocking birds are pretty fearless. I once saw one dive bombing a red tailed hawk that was perched on a outside window sill in the office building where I worked. They get very agitated if you get near their nest.
Wow, they are brave!

As for my story, I think the mocking bird was being territorial over the food supply.....

---------- Post added 07-22-21 at 07:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
You could try having cracked corn in one hands outside with a remote control in another hand and the camera on a tripod just to proof if the birds are really really aggressive and perhaps get a real good photo of bird attack human too
Big smiles, LOL! I think I'll pass on that type of experiment!
HA!
07-22-2021, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
we have several pairs of mockingbirds here - they will attack you if you get too close to their nests, also...

and when I say attack, I mean they will fly at you, you will feel their beaks when they strike you, and you will feel their wings beating against you...

07-22-2021, 08:34 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
we have several pairs of mockingbirds here - they will attack you if you get too close to their nests, also...

and when I say attack, I mean they will fly at you, you will feel their beaks when they strike you, and you will feel their wings beating against you...

I believe they are bold enough to dive bomb a Honey Badger !!!

What's interesting about my story, is that it seems as if the bird was being territorial over a food supply - !

A pic of one of my friends:

07-23-2021, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Where Great Skuas and Terns breed in the UK, they are extremely territorial in the breeding season. Advice on the Farne Islands is to wear a hat, preferably with some hay inside, to absorb the impact when they do connect. On the other hand, a scar on the dome does prove you are an active birder . . .