Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BEWARE - Ebay Scammer!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

eBay: Pentax SMC FA* 300mm F/2.8 ED IF K100D K10D IST (item 150100790945 end time Mar-12-07 02:57:56 PDT)

Perhaps this has been posted before, but just be aware of this guy - he even pulled the image from my auction that I won my FA* 300/2.8...

This is a scam auction. This "Seller" is using the same image form the auction I won on Nov. 22nd, 2006. I have a PDF file of the auction, including the images in it.

Here is the original auction:
eBay: Pentax SMC FA* 300mm F/2.8 ED IF K100D K10D IST (item 200048135750 end time Nov-22-06 14:10:45 PST)

NOTE: the images have since been taken down on the original. He's done it before - perhaps the account has been hijacked...

Grrrrrr.....

PDF of the original auction:

03-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
clm

I assume you reported to eBay as well. They should cancel all the auctions by that seller.
03-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a typically hijacked account to me!
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
reported to Ebay, and...

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
I assume you reported to eBay as well. They should cancel all the auctions by that seller.
Since the account is normally hijacked, I sent a message to the owner of the account via the Ebay messaging system.

Usually the owner is surprised when that happens... I called one guy in British Columbia to inform him about his hijacked account.

It never ceases to amaze me how people give out information unintentionally and then have to live with the consequences.

03-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Since the account is normally hijacked, I sent a message to the owner of the account via the Ebay messaging system.

Usually the owner is surprised when that happens... I called one guy in British Columbia to inform him about his hijacked account.

It never ceases to amaze me how people give out information unintentionally and then have to live with the consequences.
Hi Marc,

It's not only the uninformed that have their accounts hijacked. My account was hijacked last fall and some people were using it for selling fake jewelry. I've been an internet user since the mid 90's and have laughed all the time about people responding to phishing attempts, and I never respond to an email, regardless of whether or not I think it's real, so I know I didn't give away information. However, passwords can be easily broken. The only thing protecting people from that is the very low odds that you personally will be targeted out of the millions of users out there. Somehow, they selected my account. The did not change the email notification, though, so I saw evidence of fakery via all the email notifications that I had list objects for sale. When I tried to login and couldn't, I knew something was up so I contacted ebay. They had already put a freeze on the listings since their use of brand names violated some ebay rules. I mangaged to regain access to my account and contacted the three buyers that they had been scammed. Here's the strange part - all three actually received their merchandise. One guy even gave me positive feedback even though he knew I wasn't the seller. He appreciated me trying to help him get a refund.

The net result was a little wasting of my time and some worries, but no out of pocket expenses. I don't know why they didn't also take the email and paypal account access, but they didn't. (I keep a separate email account just for this, and my paypal account is attached to a separate bank account with no money in it just for these occasions.)

I used to think only the ignorant had their accounts hijacked, but now I know it's not completely true.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm surprised to see that listing is still going.

Last edited by rfortson; 03-11-2007 at 11:36 AM.