Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First time the video capability of the 5d Mk II really made me think...

I've seen the video features of the D90 and 5d Mk II as sort of novelties, or maybe useful for photo journalists.

But clearly, there's some opportunity for people to create real art with it too. Check out Vincent LaForet's work in progress:
7 Days, 7 Shoots - EOS 5D MKII Vincent Laforet’s Blog

Seeing that kind of stuff makes me want to run out and buy one today, but then I realize that I still need
* talent
* models
* scenes

and a lot more.

Still, inspiring.

edit: while the video quality is impressive, what really amazed me is how he used it. Absolutely gorgeous shooting in every way, and that's what made me stop and think moreso than the merits of the camera.

12-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

its not a novelty per se

my friend who is in film studies is covetting the MKii and seriously considering buying it, he's been saving for it for awhile but now debating to buy it vs waiting a year for next years model.

the biggest issue with the Mkii is that its a full frame sensor thats shooting the film! which is bigger than the more expensive dedicated video cameras

coupled with existing lenses, the depth of field control is ridiculous! (not to mention tilt shifting capabilities) all for affordable prices!

hell, an MKii and a bag full of takumars would blow any dedicated professional system out of the water cost wise, AND size wise! this compact combo doesnt require over the top tripods.

the only downside is that said video is compressed, but considering its output is already HD quality, for most projects its more than enough.

while photography will always be photography, as you said, owning such a peice of equipment can and will open up the creative potential of many users.
12-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is why I am waiting for this MK II pricing to drop in 2 years time I bet.
12-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

I too was blown away by that video. But as you say - models and talent (and a helicopter) do help. check the list of lenses used in the shooting of that film. Still cheaper than a film shoot I'm sure.