Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2021, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like how they say that some change on their backbone cascaded through their system, but they are confident that nobody's personal data was accessed.

Like some here my social media is limited to just a few forums. Never had facebook or twitter etc.

10-05-2021, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
PentaxForums is the closest thing to social media that I have any interest in using...

Same here; it's just Pentax Forums and a couple other photo forums for me.

Rangefinder Forum just redid its site and for now is practically unusable.
That should cut down my "antisocial media" participation by 25%.

Chris
10-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

someone somewhere is going 'oops...'
10-05-2021, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
PDL
Pentaxian

First off - I do not have a Facebook or Facebook and Co. account.

However, this has been a bad day for many people. Especially for those who are using Facebook as their account authenticator, all of those people/business can not log on to their systems. This is a huge effect across the Internet and that is the Internet with a capital I.

I have read where the system admins of the Facebook servers can not get into their buildings/data centers because their access badges no longer function. Their Internal processes (email, messaging, building access, HR notifications that you have been fired for being an idiot) have failed and they are slowly working their way back to life. Some where, some one did a DNS update that was not fully vetted and apparently without a fully vetted back out plan. System Admin 101 stuff. Now maybe some people will think twice about having a world wide scam artist be the method of determining their logon credentials.

10-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Conspiracy theorists at work had a field day yesterday, noting the timing. Facebook went dark just as testimony was about to be given against Facebook and it's supposed monopoly over social media. At one point, the domain name was listed for sale, later proved to be a joke or hoax.

PDL is correct, people couldn't get building access as badges stopped working. It was just more than DNS hosed. You couldn't get to FB via known IP addresses either. Many of us sat around and looked at each other half the afternoon with not much to do, until the preliminary reports for an upcoming software compliance audit for later this week came down and the bossman wasn't happy, so we had stuff to do.
10-06-2021, 02:13 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
What?

Faceplant was down?

Oh, the horrors!

Um, I didn’t notice.

Why?

Because I don’t have an account, on account of I have better things to do with my time than fiddle about in a toxic chat room reading a bunch of inane drivel, 99% of which is nonsense.

Everyday someone asks me about some ‘news’ that I haven’t heard, and if I search the web for it the only links I find are on that stupid platform.

Falsebook.

Zuckerbeg has created an evil monster that has sucked in millions of people too ignorant to see that they are being duped.

Should it cease to be altogether the world would be a better place.
10-06-2021, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What?

Faceplant was down?

Oh, the horrors!

Um, I didn’t notice.

Why?

Because I don’t have an account, on account of I have better things to do with my time than fiddle about in a toxic chat room reading a bunch of inane drivel, 99% of which is nonsense.

Everyday someone asks me about some ‘news’ that I haven’t heard, and if I search the web for it the only links I find are on that stupid platform.

Falsebook.

Zuckerbeg has created an evil monster that has sucked in millions of people too ignorant to see that they are being duped.

Should it cease to be altogether the world would be a better place.
I reigned in my ire in my last response, as I know some folks really value one or more of these social media platforms... but now you've said it, I heartily concur. #toxictimewasters (see what I did there? now let's see if it trends)...

10-06-2021, 04:26 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Facebook is unusual among social media in that it is the custom (requirement?) to use real names. There may be others, IDK. The internet otherwise has generally continued the ham radio tradition of using "anonymous" nicknames, like most people use here. I use a different nickname on each of the several forums I am on, avoiding anyone joining the dots easily at least. I do have a Facebook account which I opened specifically to communicate with a friend who uses nothing else (to many people, Facebook is the internet), but it is not my real name.
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
this has been a bad day for many people. Especially for those who are using Facebook as their account authenticator, all of those people/business can not log on to their systems
I have zero sympathy with people or organisations whose business depends on an outfit controlled by a megalomaniac. I will not go to the Facebook page of any business, their loss.
10-06-2021, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most comprehensive online resource for the Pakon F135 scanner was on Facebook.
I wasn't interested enough to commit to join. I have since sold my copy of that scanner.

Chris
10-07-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Should this not have gone in the 'Good News' thread ?
10-07-2021, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have zero sympathy with people or organisations whose business depends on an outfit controlled by a megalomaniac.
That should limit your choice of newspapers.
10-07-2021, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Only if Falsebook failed to come back online.

If that happened, I would buy everyone a beer.
10-08-2021, 02:08 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
It has. Timb64 posted it there 3 days ago.