Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thomas Reichart (volcano photographer) killed on Mt Etna

Sometimes we pay a heavy price for our passions.

Well known German volcano photographer, Thomas Reichart's body was found on Mt Etna on December 2nd. I havn't found any details as to the cause of death.

I doubt Thomas was a Pentax photographer, but I wanted to bring this up and pay tribute to a talented photographer.

Condolences to Thomas's family and friends...

His Flickr photostream...

12-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn. He took some amazing pictures. As a fellow volcano-loving photographer (though not so talented and not able to pursue it like he did), his passing is a loss indeed...

Jim
12-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Banned

I looked at a few of his photos, very well done. noticed that he was using a Canon PowerShot S5 IS. well R.I.P.
12-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Accidental death not the Volcano.

German man dies in accident on Sicily's Mount Etna - International Herald Tribune

12-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

this is why you dont go mountain climbing alone

remember that guy that cut his own leg off with a pocket knife, geeze.

death is never a good thing, sigh
12-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Damn shame. Glad he was doing what he loved when his time was up, though.
12-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #7

He's a great photographer and I have enjoyed seeing his work!! He will be missed

12-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
this is why you dont go mountain climbing alone

remember that guy that cut his own leg off with a pocket knife, geeze.

death is never a good thing, sigh
Goosh... you are right that you shouldn't go alone. None-the-less, the reality of the outdoor photographer is that they usually go places and work hard at those locations concentrating on making good images. For those accompanying them (who might not be photographers) they get bored easily and that just eventually takes away from the time and effort that the photographer can put into to making high end images.

When I hike into the back country, I would love to have another photographer accompany me, but it doesn't happen. But, within my 40 pounds of equipment I always take enough food, fire sources and space blankets (cacoon type) to keep me safe for a couple of days if I get dissabled and do need help. Additionally, I try to stay away from the most risky types of behavior (don't always succeed at that) and always notify my spouse as to what route, trail or creek I am following and when to notify people if I don't call in at the end of the day.

BTW, , He cut off his arm with a pocket knife when he couldn't extricate it from a boulder that pinned him, not a leg. Kinda hard to get out of wilderness and survive if you cut off your leg.

Yeah, Death is a bad thing. I remind you that the first thought that enters a brdige jumpers head after he jumps to commit suicide is... "Hey, my problems aren't really as bad as I thought".

Stephen