Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2021, 03:54 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jemima Gazley, hero.

I'm sitting here tonight pondering the meaning of the universe.

See, about 9 months ago, a 15 year old girl from Wellington, New Zealand, who I do not know started on a journey with a terrible disease and this week, that disease killed her. But, it seems she decided to make a difference and she did so by asking her parents to set up a Givealittle page so that she could use her own life savings to fundraise (and hopefully inspire others to give too) so that other children with the same terrible disease would have a better chance of survival. She knew that, for her, the journey was fast coming to a close and she knew that, for her, there would be no cure, no slowing the cancer's relentless march through her brain stem.

If you'd like to read more about Jemima Gazley, then follow this newspaper link: 'A very brave and special person': Tributes pour in for Wellington teen who raised more than $550,000 for cancer research | Stuff.co.nz If you'd like to read about the doctor trying to find a cure, then go here: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/profile/matt-dun

I'm not posting the link to the fundraiser here as this is not a solicitation for money. (Although I donated and wished that I could have donated more.)
It is, however, the story of a very short life made great through selfless sacrifice and a name that deserves to be remembered. See, as of right now, Jemima has raised $577,324 for research into diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG)

I'll end with copying a poem her mother posted and which I think deserves further sharing:

"The Paradox of Life" by Piet Hein

A bit beyond perception’s reach
I sometimes believe I see
that life is two locked boxes
each containing the other’s key.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 10-14-2021 at 03:34 PM.
10-14-2021, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting. It is a tragic story that unfortunately is becoming more common to hear these days.

Keep your young ones away from mobile phones.
10-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
An update. The final amount raised is close to $650,000.

For more information see: https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/jemimas-wish
And: Jemima raises $650,000 for cancer research, but her legacy is much more than money | Stuff.co.nz