Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Camera + Hiking

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been hiking all simmer with my K10D (and my K100D Super before that).

The issue I'm finding is that with my normal over one shoulder, under one arm strap, my camera drifts to my side and starts hitting my hiking pole on which ever side its slid around to.

I'm on a real hard budget, and I haven't found a good clip or chest harness that is affordable.

I hike with a shoulder bag normally (camera bag, but I jeep my water, head lamps, and a few snack bars in it with my extra lens). So I don't have the two backpack straps to connect to.

I saw a clip that your camera snaps onto. It clamps to one backpack strap but at $70 on Amazon it's way too steep for my budget.

With winter coming (it's already snowed down to 5k feet, and looks like its sticking at/above 6k feet). I hike a little every day.

Thanks for any ideas.

10-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't you adjust the strap length?
10-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can you tie the strap to your belt or waist to help out ?
10-17-2021, 01:17 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a neck strap and a loop (cord or strap) that goes from camera around my back to the camera again--I attach one of the ends with a (I think its called) a slip loop (knot). Pull the end and the camera is now only on the neck straps. It keeps it from moving/bouncing/sliding and yet instantly available. I have used this for many decades on canoe portages, mountain climbing, bushwacking, etc.

10-17-2021, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I use a neck strap and a loop (cord or strap) that goes from camera around my back to the camera again--I attach one of the ends with a (I think its called) a slip loop (knot). Pull the end and the camera is now only on the neck straps. It keeps it from moving/bouncing/sliding and yet instantly available. I have used this for many decades on canoe portages, mountain climbing, bushwacking, etc.
A video or some images might help clear this up, but I can’t wrap my head around it as described.

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 08:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
The issue I'm finding is that with my normal over one shoulder, under one arm strap, my camera drifts to my side and starts hitting my hiking pole on which ever side its slid around to.

I'm on a real hard budget, and I haven't found a good clip or chest harness that is affordable.

I hike with a shoulder bag normally (camera bag, but I jeep my water, head lamps, and a few snack bars in it with my extra lens). So I don't have the two backpack straps to connect to.

I saw a clip that your camera snaps onto. It clamps to one backpack strap but at $70 on Amazon it's way too steep for my budget.

With winter coming (it's already snowed down to 5k feet, and looks like its sticking at/above 6k feet). I hike a little every day.

Thanks for any ideas.
Have you looked at a sling bag? These might work for you as you can slide the bag around and get the gear out but it stays put otherwise.

This harness is reasonably cheap: USA Gear DSLR Camera Harness Strap Kit with Comfort Pads & Quick Release System 637836582730 | eBay - I haven’t used once and have no connection to the sale.

I own a park design capture clip, so far I’m not in love with it on a backpack strap. I have used it with a light setup on a belt and that was workable. Used might be a reasonable price but you’re going to need to look for bargains. Personally this solution works very well with the right camera but I think it might be a bit misaligned to your stated goals.

I use a peak design sling strap when I’m not hiking, but that strap along with a backpack or shoulder bag would be cumbersome.

I’ve also used a small holster for my Sony RX100 and that was fantastic. I own some larger holsters for dslrs but find it hard to get a belt secured enough to hold my pants up with that much weight on them!

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 08:54 AM ----------

A sling bag like this is cheap and functional: Camera Sling Bag for DSLR & Mirrorless by Altura Photo, Small Camera Backpack Compatible w/ Sony, Nikon, Canon Camera Bag - Photography Backpack, Sling Camera Bag, Small Camera Bag for Travel amazon.com : Camera Sling Bag for DSLR & Mirrorless by Altura Photo, Small Camera Backpack Compatible w/ Sony, Nikon, Canon Camera Bag - Photography Backpack, Sling Camera Bag, Small Camera Bag for Travel : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 09:01 AM ----------

I have a bag similar to this. I put snacks in the top “flash” pocket. I use the tripod holding system to hold a large water bottle: MOSISO Camera Sling Bag, DSLR/SLR/Mirrorless Camera Case Shockproof Photography Camera Backpack with Tripod Holder & Removable Modular Inserts Compatible with Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji, Navy Blue amazon.com : MOSISO Camera Sling Bag, DSLR/SLR/Mirrorless Camera Case Shockproof Photography Camera Backpack with Tripod Holder & Removable Modular Inserts Compatible with Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji, Navy Blue : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 09:05 AM ----------

Actually my bag is like the first one perhaps. It has the extra under the arm stabilizing strap which really helps keep it in place.
10-17-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This sketch shows it.
Attached Images

10-17-2021, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I backpack extensively and always keep my camera out and ready for any fleeting wildlife. While hiking, I keep my camera around my neck with one arm through the strap. Just like people wear a purse. I can quickly get the camera into shooting position with just a quick arm move, and it is still around my neck. Plus the camera does not bang around while hiking. I do this all day on 6-day trips while carrying a full pack. No extra gear needed.

10-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I backpack extensively and always keep my camera out and ready for any fleeting wildlife. While hiking, I keep my camera around my neck with one arm through the strap. Just like people wear a purse. I can quickly get the camera into shooting position with just a quick arm move, and it is still around my neck. Plus the camera does not bang around while hiking. I do this all day on 6-day trips while carrying a full pack. No extra gear needed.
That’s what I use a sling strap for. I can change the length quickly and with the peak design system I can change the strap attached to larger or smaller width as dictated by weight etc.

But I don’t like this as much while wearing a pack. I’ve continued to look for options. One option I’ve used is to carry my RX100 in a utility belt pouch. This works wonderfully for quick access and it goes away as easily as it comes out. I have used this by itself as well as combined it with another camera in the pack for those “special” shots that need more equipment.

I’ve also used a peak design capture clip with my m43 gear (GX8 + 45-175 or 12-35 typically; or Olympus EM-1 and Olympus 60mm Macro). The capture clip on a belt works well but for me only with lighter equipment. I didn’t care for it on my backpack strap at all.

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 04:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
This sketch shows it.
Ah! So you pull the end of the slip knot to release it and shoot I assume. That’s workable without a backpack, how do you do it with a pack? It seems it would be layered in steps; remove pack, tie tether, put pack back on.
10-17-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The strap/cord goes under the pack. When you stand upright the cord (as needed) pulls out pretty freely. To reattach you take the pack off. So instantly off the tether, but not instantly back on.

One could actually make the loop around your back 360 degrees, and two slip knots, but the whole idea is to be simple, and quick when it needs to be. In actual use one (me anyway) seldom takes the camera off--if there was long series of shots, one likely would anticipate and keep the camera on neck strap only.

I actually have a nice chest harness from sun (dog?) photo (believe they went out of business a few decades ago) with a water proof sack that clips on with four attachments--so it does not move/sway--but I like to see my feet (so I don't use the bag), and prefer the simpler harness.

Also a chest harness requires/may require I unclip the camera, and that takes lot longer when seconds/little movement counts. Putting it back on tether is not a critical time operation/not something I even notice.

In principle I could use the chest harness /bag if I want more gear available w/o removing my pack, but in practice I would rather take the pack off.

Last edited by dms; 10-17-2021 at 02:01 PM.
10-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've been using the Cotton Carrier chest harness for years. They aren't cheap. I did see once a homemade harness with short bungee cords criss crossed across a camera and attached to the backpack straps. He was using the standard neck strap with the bungees just stopping the camera from bouncing. On my last hike this summer, I just left my camera in my backpack which was a good thing because I fell 3 times through the day and relied on my phone for a lot of shots ( I know, sacrilege!). My old legs aren't what they used to be.
10-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A video or some images might help clear this up, but I can’t wrap my head around it as described.

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 08:52 AM ----------

Have you looked at a sling bag? These might work for you as you can slide the bag around and get the gear out but it stays put otherwise.

This harness is reasonably cheap: USA Gear DSLR Camera Harness Strap Kit with Comfort Pads & Quick Release System 637836582730 | eBay - I haven’t used once and have no connection to the sale.

I own a park design capture clip, so far I’m not in love with it on a backpack strap. I have used it with a light setup on a belt and that was workable. Used might be a reasonable price but you’re going to need to look for bargains. Personally this solution works very well with the right camera but I think it might be a bit misaligned to your stated goals.

I use a peak design sling strap when I’m not hiking, but that strap along with a backpack or shoulder bag would be cumbersome.

I’ve also used a small holster for my Sony RX100 and that was fantastic. I own some larger holsters for dslrs but find it hard to get a belt secured enough to hold my pants up with that much weight on them!

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 08:54 AM ----------

A sling bag like this is cheap and functional: Camera Sling Bag for DSLR & Mirrorless by Altura Photo, Small Camera Backpack Compatible w/ Sony, Nikon, Canon Camera Bag - Photography Backpack, Sling Camera Bag, Small Camera Bag for Travel amazon.com : Camera Sling Bag for DSLR & Mirrorless by Altura Photo, Small Camera Backpack Compatible w/ Sony, Nikon, Canon Camera Bag - Photography Backpack, Sling Camera Bag, Small Camera Bag for Travel : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 09:01 AM ----------

I have a bag similar to this. I put snacks in the top “flash” pocket. I use the tripod holding system to hold a large water bottle: MOSISO Camera Sling Bag, DSLR/SLR/Mirrorless Camera Case Shockproof Photography Camera Backpack with Tripod Holder & Removable Modular Inserts Compatible with Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji, Navy Blue amazon.com : MOSISO Camera Sling Bag, DSLR/SLR/Mirrorless Camera Case Shockproof Photography Camera Backpack with Tripod Holder & Removable Modular Inserts Compatible with Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji, Navy Blue : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 09:05 AM ----------

Actually my bag is like the first one perhaps. It has the extra under the arm stabilizing strap which really helps keep it in place.
Hello ,

Yes I do hike with a sling bag with camera insert style dividers (holds an extra lens, battery, remotes, little cleaning kit, water, head lamp, gloves, SD card, and snacks). I can put my camera in there (remove the water bottle) but I want my camera handy in an instant, not behind a zippered flap.

(Am looking a the links though, always up for new "stuff" ).

---------- Post added 10-21-21 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I've been using the Cotton Carrier chest harness for years. They aren't cheap. I did see once a homemade harness with short bungee cords criss crossed across a camera and attached to the backpack straps. He was using the standard neck strap with the bungees just stopping the camera from bouncing. On my last hike this summer, I just left my camera in my backpack which was a good thing because I fell 3 times through the day and relied on my phone for a lot of shots ( I know, sacrilege!). My old legs aren't what they used to be.
I felt bad last night, I took the majority of my pictures with my Pixel 4 because I wasn't in the mood to unstrap my tripod from the bottom of my bag (night photos). I eventually did, just for my Blog, but my phone does a really good job with Night Mode (kind of better than my camera because I SUUUUUCK at getting focus perfect in the dark).

I got a couple clips that I'm going to try with a regular backpack when I find one to hike with. I want a good back that's got EASY access to my tripod and hiking poles for this winter (cuz I'm lazy and don't want to fight the cold weather clothes, my sweaty sticky self, and the awkward deep snow trails).
10-22-2021, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
I felt bad last night, I took the majority of my pictures with my Pixel 4 because I wasn't in the mood to unstrap my tripod from the bottom of my bag (night photos). I eventually did, just for my Blog, but my phone does a really good job with Night Mode (kind of better than my camera because I SUUUUUCK at getting focus perfect in the dark).

I got a couple clips that I'm going to try with a regular backpack when I find one to hike with. I want a good back that's got EASY access to my tripod and hiking poles for this winter (cuz I'm lazy and don't want to fight the cold weather clothes, my sweaty sticky self, and the awkward deep snow trails).
I do 2 kinds of hiking with regards to photos. If I'm hiking into a place where I know there is a high probability of wildlife, birds, or some specific scenery like waterfalls, etc, I'll bring my camera and tripod along with whatever lenses I think I will need and have my camera handy with the Cotton Carrier. If I'm just going on a hike, I'll leave my camera in the backpack with a 17-70 zoom and maybe/maybe not even use it. This is after years of hikes and multi day trips. Modern phones do a very good job. I have learned through experience that even with a camera pretty handy, sudden encounters with wildlife are over before I can even get a lens cap off.