Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My company is talking about downgrading to Windows 11 next year, so there's incentive to throw it on my secondary computer. However PhotoChop is screwed up on my main pc but set up perfectly on my secondary, so I don'tthink I want to screw that one up.

12-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Win 10 is missing literally nothing that I need, so...
That is so true. They essentially nailed it with that OS. They could keep updating it for 20 yearas and I'd be happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sigma2021 Quote
Some of these may be specific to use on a Surface Tablet.
Indeed it seems most of your observations are touch-screen related, but that doesn't make them more acceptable.
12-10-2021, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #48
Lev
Veteran Member

I believed 11 would break Microsoft's tradition releasing a poor version after a good version but seems like I was wrong.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 12-11-2021 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Profanity
12-10-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That is so true. They essentially nailed it with that OS. They could keep updating it for 20 yearas and I'd be happy.

Indeed it seems most of your observations are touch-screen related, but that doesn't make them more acceptable.
I don't doubt that processors are slowly making some improvements that 10 is not able to take advantage of, and I will upgrade when the kinks are ironed out. But not till then.

12-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #50
Lev
Veteran Member

Now I seriously think downgrade my Windows 11 to 10 or just wait for proper updates..... no ungrouped taskbar buttons, RDP won't reconnect, no drag end drop between programs, etc etc...
12-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every time when we have OS update some users are not happy , WIN10 to WIN11 , Mac OS11 to OS12 etc.
I never had any problems , run WIN 11 on my MacBook Pro OS12 ( M1 2020 ) and WIN10 on my older Mac OS10 ( MacBook Pro 2012 ).
All works well , everybody happy.
12-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's a bit early to switch to Win11. About 6 months from now when various issues have been ironed out and more software is compatible with it. Win10 works well and will continue to work well probably for the next few years even though I have bought a machine that's Win11 ready.

12-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dragged kicking and screaming!

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I refuse to forsake Windows 7 Pro.

I’ve seen and used Windows 8 and 10, they both suck.

My USB-connected HP Laserjet printer stopped working when I "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10,
due to some unspecified port problem MS and HP troubleshooter utilities could neither diagnose nor rectify.

FWIW I was forced to upgrade in order to install and use my Turbotax CD...

Chris
12-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #54
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My USB-connected HP Laserjet printer stopped working when I "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10,
due to some unspecified port problem MS and HP troubleshooter utilities could neither diagnose nor rectify.

Chris
My mom has a Nikon D9000 camera. She asked me to go through her photos. Nikon only has a Windows 8, or 10 compatible program for working with the Nikon RAW files on their website.

No older versions available for Windows 7.

I'm looking for a plugin for Photoshop and Adobe Bridge.
12-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #55

Chris
So you were never able to solve the USB port problem? What did you do? Did you have an open slot and try an add-on USB card?

Part of the reason I upgraded from 7 to 10 was because some software packages like TurboTax no longer supported Win7. Another reason was the new system I built had no driver support for Windows 7. It was fun trying to install Windows 7 when the built-in drivers in 7 wouldn't recognize the USB ports on LAN card on the new mobo. That wouldn't have been a problem is the mobo had PS/2 ports for the keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the mobo only has a PS/2 port for the keyboard. Try navigating Windows without a mouse or touchscreen. Not fun at all using the keyboard only interface. And putting drivers onto a USB drive won't work since the drives won't attach. Fortunately the mobo has six SATA ports and I could transfer files that way.

I still have my 12-14 year old system with Windows 7, XP and 10 (multiboot) even though the graphics card is showing signs of giving up the ghost. I have my old Windows 7 system cloned and running on a virtual machine on my new Windows 10 system. If I can find a way to activate a VM clone of my XP system I would run it as well.

I actually prefer XP over Win7 but it's the same problem. Some of the software like TurboTax of Quicken stopped supporting XP and wouldn't install.

Running an old version of Windows like 7 or XP is fine - until the hardware dies and you find that if you try running it on newer hardware and find: No driver support and you are unable to reactivate Windows. Unlike Windows 10 which allows you to run Windows with some cosmetic restrictions (unable to "personalize" the desktop, nags to activate) Windows 7 and XP will lock you out.
12-12-2021, 01:59 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Chris
I had a similar issue with with my old HP inkjet. I even arranged a telephone session with Microsoft technical help but as expected they were completely useless. I seem to remember fixing it myself by reinstalling Windows 10 over the top of the upgraded system. It could then find the Printer driver.

12-12-2021, 02:05 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I'd need a new computer for Windows 11, so I guess by the time I'll go for it all the major bugs would be fixed.
12-12-2021, 06:57 AM   #58
Pentaxian

My USB-connected HP Laserjet printer stopped working when I "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10,due to some unspecified port problem
There may well have been an unspecified port problem but the problems may not have stopped there. There are simply no Win 10 drivers for some older hardware.
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I had a similar issue with with my old HP inkjet. I even arranged a telephone session with Microsoft technical help but as expected they were completely useless.
With a new laptop, Lady L went from Win 7 to Win 10 and our HP Inkjet would not work with it. A thorough trawl of the internet turned up that it was just not possible because there is no Win10 driver for the thing.
12-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So you were never able to solve the USB port problem? What did you do? Did you have an open slot and try an add-on USB card?

Nope. I tried the expansion card with additional USB ports and they too did not work.
Of course I removed and reinstalled the updated driver for the printer but also to no avail.
A hired "Windows 10 expert" came to my home but he too gave up.

A clean full install of Windows 10 might solve the problem, but I'm not motivated enough to expend the effort required i.e. backups of other installed software etc.
My Windows 7 laptop still outputs to the printer fine, an easy workaround.

Chris
12-12-2021, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

After my last Windows 10 update, my desktop computer now crashes at least twice a day (usually when it's not even being used). Could it be MS way of encouraging me to adopt Windows 11?