Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2021, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Still, if you halve that estimate on the assumption that you'll read for an hour a day and leave it on standby the rest of the time, that's still well over a month of battery life between charges. Pretty amazing, all things considered. How long does it take to charge fully?
I'm not complaining about the battery life, I only find their estimate interesting. But perhaps half a hour a day is typical, for our ever busy selves.

Officially, you can get it to charge in 2.5 hours with the Amazon 9W charger. I just plugged in some USB-C cable I had around, not sure how fast it could charge (weird enough, with another USB-C cable charging didn't start at all). My feeling is that it charges quite a bit faster than the old Paperwhite, but I didn't measure it.
At home I avoid fast charging, but let's see if I can find something capable of 5V/1.8A. For now I'm at 80% battery, so it will take a while.

12-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #32
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Perhaps I should have clarified that my need for undo doesn't come up reading books I draw at work using computers and paper, I mentally undo in both scenarios 「(゚ペ)
hahaha are you engineer or architect? I'm so used to computers I hate myself when I write something on paper.
12-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not complaining about the battery life, I only find their estimate interesting. But perhaps half a hour a day is typical, for our ever busy selves.

Officially, you can get it to charge in 2.5 hours with the Amazon 9W charger. I just plugged in some USB-C cable I had around, not sure how fast it could charge (weird enough, with another USB-C cable charging didn't start at all). My feeling is that it charges quite a bit faster than the old Paperwhite, but I didn't measure it.

At home I avoid fast charging, but let's see if I can find something capable of 5V/1.8A. For now I'm at 80% battery, so it will take a while.
Do newer Paperwhites give battery capacity in percentage terms? My old one just shows a battery meter with no real idea how much capacity is left.

12-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Do newer Paperwhites give battery capacity in percentage terms? My old one just shows a battery meter with no real idea how much capacity is left.
Yes. Even my old Paperwhite 2 shows capacity in percentage terms; I have it updated to the latest available firmware, 5.12.2.1.1 and I'm not sure if the feature was added in one of the firmware updates.
(careful if you want to jailbreak it, AFAIK you can't do that with the latest firmware - the Paperwhite 2 I mean. With the new one it might be impossible).

By the way, another thing I like about the new(er) Paperwhite(s) is that the screen is flush rather than sunken.

12-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Yes. Even my old Paperwhite 2 shows capacity in percentage terms; I have it updated to the latest available firmware, 5.12.2.1.1.

(careful if you want to jailbreak it, AFAIK you can't do that with the latest firmware).

By the way, another thing I like about the new(er) Paperwhite(s) is that the screen is flush rather than sunken.
Mine must be an original.

12-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Mine must be an original.
OK, I've googled it a bit - it seems that was added with firmware 5.10.1.1
Not available for the original Paperwhite, but the Paperwhite 2 has it.

Here's how you can identify the Kindle model:
Which Kindle do I have? A quick guide to identifying Amazon's e-readers

With the recent models, the model name is displayed in the Device Info dialog so you no longer have to do that.
12-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #37
Pentaxian

OK, I've googled it a bit - it seems that was added with firmware 5.10.1.1

Not available for the original Paperwhite, but the Paperwhite 2 has it.

Here's how you can identify the Kindle model:

Which Kindle do I have? A quick guide to identifying Amazon's e-readers

With the recent models, the model name is displayed in the Device Info dialog so you no longer have to do that.
Mines a B024 so definitely original Paperwhite with firmware 5.6.1.1

12-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #38

I have an ancient Kindle Keyboard with 3G and WiFi. The networks are phasing out 3G this month. There were some upgrade offers from Amazon towards a new Paperwhite. I didn't take advantage of them. I kind of like the physical keyboard vs an on-screen touch pad. An upgraded an larger screen would be nice though.

I can still get books via WiFi.
12-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
hahaha are you engineer or architect? I'm so used to computers I hate myself when I write something on paper.
Architect, also suffering from deteriorating patience when writing by hand. I can't decipher what I've written anyway.
12-07-2021, 02:50 AM   #40
Lev
Veteran Member

Architect, also suffering from deteriorating patience when writing by hand. I can't decipher what I've written anyway.
writing is hell. but I wonder why you are drawing if there are so many programs like archicad, autocad etc?
12-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
writing is hell. but I wonder why you are drawing if there are so many programs like archicad, autocad etc?
I do some thinking drawing by hand. Sketching, solving plans and details etc.The tools control your output. You can almost tell by the finished building if an architect is a model first, cad first or drawing first architect. From those types the many using only cad are usually the worst. The best is using many techniques to reveal different issues.
12-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #42
Lev
Veteran Member

I do some thinking drawing by hand. Sketching, solving plans and details etc.The tools control your output. You can almost tell by the finished building if an architect is a model first, cad first or drawing first architect. From those types the many using only cad are usually the worst. The best is using many techniques to reveal different issues.
Looks like you're taking your job seriously!
12-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I switch between real books and ebooks, I didn't go the Kindle route though, I have Kobo LIbra
12-11-2021, 01:18 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First bug noticed (and it scared me a bit): the bottom part of the page turned blank - and turning the page didn't help. I thought, oh well, the screen broke down and I'll have to send the Kindle to Amazon...
Opening the settings fixed the issue, though.
12-11-2021, 01:28 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I just noticed they sell versions with and without ads. If you turn off WiFi does that kill the ads anyway?