Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I came here to make the first comment, about British "axe" being proper, but the ensuing conversation leads me to think I had best back away, carefully.

12-06-2021, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #17

Walter Hustun's gold dance from "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

https://youtu.be/_pWx7N8gSoY?t=55
12-06-2021, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And here our most authoritative dictionary (Diccionario de la Lengua Española, 23rd edition, published by the 23 Language Academies for the different Spanish-speaking countries as a joint effort) has only about 93000 words... in a compact 3000 pages .
A professor of Spanish from the University of Barcelona was enjoying his stay in Scotland. Imagine his delight while visiting the Outer Hebrides when he discovered his neighbour in the next cottage was Professor of Gaelic at Aberdeen University, and Mateo wasted no time getting to know him and to compare notes on each other's language.

"There iss a word in Spanish I have often heard of," said Hector after a long discussion, "and I would like you to explain its meaning and usage to me. It iss the word mañana."

Mateo gladly explained its literal meaning of "tomorrow" and how it was used in postponing for the next day any task which didn't have to be done today, then asked "Is there a word in the Gaelic which is equivalent to mañana?"

"Och, no," Hector slowly replied, "nothing so hasty."
12-06-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I thought that quote was either GBS or Oscar - and, as Dorothy Parker is reputed to have remarked 'If in doubt - Oscar said it'.

I wonder how Anne Boleyn preferred it spelled ?

12-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I understand it is no longer available in printed form, only electronically. The market must have been very small. I have the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, two heavy volumes. I will look up "Ax" later, to see what it has to say.
It can still be had in paper form, but most people only have the "Concise" or "Shorter" versions.

It is, however, out of stock and I guess they're unlikely to print more copies of the 1989 version, so there's that.
Sorry for derailing the thread.

I remember as a kid seeing beachcombers with metal detectors. I suspect they were more interested in the coins dropped by modern sunbathers than in real treasure!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-06-2021 at 02:03 PM.
12-31-2021, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A missed opportunity...

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've always wanted a set of the OED. 20 volumes, 600,000 words and 2.4 million quotations. £862.50.
Maybe one day.
At one time the Book of the Month Club offered a microprint of the OED, two sizeable volumes in a slip case with a magnifier! Sadly I didn't buy it, and I haven't seen that offer again. The OED was also availabe at one time on CD roms; a good search engine would be necessary.
01-06-2022, 03:10 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
At one time the Book of the Month Club offered a microprint of the OED, two sizeable volumes in a slip case with a magnifier! Sadly I didn't buy it, and I haven't seen that offer again. The OED was also availabe at one time on CD roms; a good search engine would be necessary.
That would be a neat one to own! I wonder if there's secondhand copies about?