Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spring / Fall Jacket for Photography Rec's?

All,

I've been investigating various Orvis coats (waxed / oilied cotton of some sort) and other makers for good spring / fall photography jackets. I'm looking for weatherproof and warm, with a decent number of pockets. Within my budget (say, less than $500), what recommendations might y'all have?

--Jonathan

01-02-2022, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Filson is in a similar style, and they will also offer waxed and oiled cotton. I'm a supporter because they make most of their stuff (at least the higher end products) in USA, last I checked. Not cheap, but then your given budget isn't exactly low end.
I'm sure some of the more mountaineering themed outdoor brands (O.R., Arc'teryx, etc.) will give more technical performance, but certainly aren't as classy. I also don't perceive those types of garments to last as long.
01-02-2022, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Filson is in a similar style, and they will also offer waxed and oiled cotton. I'm a supporter because they make most of their stuff (at least the higher end products) in USA, last I checked. Not cheap, but then your given budget isn't exactly low end.
I'm sure some of the more mountaineering themed outdoor brands (O.R., Arc'teryx, etc.) will give more technical performance, but certainly aren't as classy. I also don't perceive those types of garments to last as long.
Excellent. I'll look into them. I see some excellent coats there - I'm just hoping for 4-6 good pockets.
01-03-2022, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I wouldn't recommend oiled cotton. Late last year, I bought a new Barbour-style waxed country jacket - not specifically for photography, but as a general-use coat to wear in Spring and Autumn, and with warmer clothes underneath for Winter. It's an excellent jacket and I'm very pleased with it, but the wax transfers very easily to equipment - including anything stored in the lined pockets. For example, if I place my smartphone in one of the large side-pockets, when I take it out the screen and camera lens cover have a film of wax on them... and it's almost impossible to remove without using an alcohol-based wipe. Similarly, if I have my DSLR hanging from my neck or over my shoulder, after a few moments the screen is smeared with wax. As a result, I've stopped wearing the jacket when I'm doing photography, and I'm currently looking for another water-proof or water-resistant jacket for this specific purpose...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-03-2022 at 02:35 AM.
01-03-2022, 02:41 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The rain and cold around here can work its way through pretty much any insulation that wasn't invented by NASA, but there are various attempts at futile resistance that people make.

The keen hiker types tend to go for North Face puffer jackets, with all their camera gear in a backpack so that it takes them about ten minutes to set up for any photo. Those who want to look like moorland farmers (but aren't) usually go for a waxed jacket, while the stylishly inclined seem to prefer a Driza-Bone.

We actual Dartmoor folk wear any old tatty jacket with a thick woolen sweater underneath, plus a pair of wellies. And I carry my camera gear in a canvas bag.
01-03-2022, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I've been investigating various Orvis coats (waxed / oilied cotton of some sort) and other makers for good spring / fall photography jackets. I'm looking for weatherproof and warm, with a decent number of pockets. Within my budget (say, less than $500), what recommendations might y'all have?
Personally, I would separate weatherproof and warm. Get a weatherproof jacket and wear woolen pullovers or fleeces underneath.

I concur with Bigmackcam on waxed jackets. They stink and it transfers to everything. I had one back in the day on motorcycles and it was actually cold being cotton. Your car seats will also suffer if you get one.

I have just ordered these from Orvis in the UK to cover my use cases, I have not received them yet so I can't comment yet:

Ultralight Waterproof City Rain Jacket - Orvis UK

Briar Jacket Field Charcoal - Orvis UK
01-03-2022, 05:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually carry a small 35mm pocket camera (e.g. Olympus XA series).
I always look for a coat or jacket that includes an inside chest pocket.
Camera is adequately protected and always available for a quick shot.

Chris

01-03-2022, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Personally, I would separate weatherproof and warm. Get a weatherproof jacket and wear woolen pullovers or fleeces underneath.
That's a more versatile approach, IMHO, not to mention being significantly cheaper (potentially, at least).

This thread has prompted me to re-start my search for an alternative to my wax jacket, and I think I've found something that suits my requirements - an Austrian army M65 Gore-tex jacket. According to the website:

QuoteQuote:
This Austrian army M65 "Gore-Tex"* jacket is genuine military surplus issue! It has a waterproof and breathable membrane sandwiched between an outer protective fabric layer, to protect the membrane from damage, and a comfortable inner lining. These jackets allow water vapour (sweat) to escape while keeping out the wind and rain.
They have new, unissued jackets in my size at GBP £75, "Grade 1" issued at £45, and "distressed" at £30. Since it's a jacket to use and not worry about, I'm thinking the Grade 1 issued option sounds ideal. Not sure if this sort of thing would be of interest to the OP?
01-03-2022, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

@Dartmoor Dave has the right idea - when out birding, I try to wear as many cheap layers as I can, so the rain has some work to do to reach skin - and that's waterproof anyway. And if it rains in summer, a thin cotton polo shirt and shorts dry quickly.
01-03-2022, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's a more versatile approach, IMHO, not to mention being significantly cheaper (potentially, at least).

This thread has prompted me to re-start my search for an alternative to my wax jacket, and I think I've found something that suits my requirements - an Austrian army M65 Gore-tex jacket. According to the website:

They have new, unissued jackets in my size at GBP £75, "Grade 1" issued at £45, and "distressed" at £30. Since it's a jacket to use and not worry about, I'm thinking the Grade 1 issued option sounds ideal. Not sure if this sort of thing would be of interest to the OP?
Useful link, but the larger sizes appear to be out of stock. I'll keep looking. BTW, they only give chest sizes - not stomach sizes !
01-03-2022, 06:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I will highly recommend the Carhartt Storm Defender mid weight jackets. It has some large pockets, is waterproof and breathable. Depending on what you wear under it, it's suitable for winter use. I have worn mine for over 8 years and it has held up well. It's loose enough for skiing in rain/wet snow. I wear it as an outer shell when I'm running my snow blower. By itself, it's perfect for cool and wet spring and summer days. Best thing is the price which is around $89 in my size.https://www.carhartt.com/product/103510/storm-defender-loose-fit-midweight-jacket

Last edited by reeftool; 01-03-2022 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
01-03-2022, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good find, I have just ordered a distressed one for knocking around in. I already have a couple of Barbour Tyne crew neck sweaters that I have had for years (they are weighty, and must have used a whole sheep each!) so I will be set for whatever comes. Since I live in the soft south, that combination may have to wait some time.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
BTW, they only give chest sizes - not stomach sizes !
Lol, I am approaching that problem. More walking this year to burn some off methinks.
01-03-2022, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The rain and cold around here can work its way through pretty much any insulation that wasn't invented by NASA, but there are various attempts at futile resistance that people make.

The keen hiker types tend to go for North Face puffer jackets, with all their camera gear in a backpack so that it takes them about ten minutes to set up for any photo. Those who want to look like moorland farmers (but aren't) usually go for a waxed jacket, while the stylishly inclined seem to prefer a Driza-Bone.

We actual Dartmoor folk wear any old tatty jacket with a thick woolen sweater underneath, plus a pair of wellies. And I carry my camera gear in a canvas bag.
Dartmoor. I'm sure you're tired of hearing it, but the first "horror / mystery" book I ever read featured areas there.

---------- Post added 01-03-22 at 10:46 AM ----------

In this line, I approached a friend of mine whose company both makes and purchases "stock" clothing for public servants (police, fire, etc.) and customizes them, depending on need. He recommended checking out the following suppliers, all of whom offer many-pocketed jackets which are water resistant (similar to the M65 jacket):

https://www.511tactical.com/
https://vertx.com/
Tactical Gear & Apparel | Propper: Right to the Core
TRU-SPEC : Tactically Inspired Apparel

I tend to listen to you UK folks, who seem to be underwater (and surrounded by same) a fair amount. I'm leaning towards a lighter rain jacket with pockets, and layers when necessary, or perhaps a tactical vest.

Examples:

https://vertx.com/integrity-shell-jacket
https://www.propper.com/mens/outerwear/propper-m65-field-coat.html
https://www.propper.com/mens/outerwear/proppertm-tactical-vest-1.html
https://www.truspec.com/outerwear/h2o-proof-outerwear/h2o-proof-all-season-rain-parka

---------- Post added 01-03-22 at 10:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I will highly recommend the Carhartt Storm Defender mid weight jackets. It has some large pockets, is waterproof and breathable. Depending on what you wear under it, it's suitable for winter use. I have worn mine for over 8 years and it has held up well. It's loose enough for skiing in rain/wet snow. I wear it as an outer shell when I'm running my snow blower. By itself, it's perfect for cool and wet spring and summer days. Best thing is the price which is around $89 in my size.https://www.carhartt.com/product/103510/storm-defender-loose-fit-midweight-jacket
From what I know of Carhartt, that's a good recommendation.

Last edited by jawats; 01-03-2022 at 10:49 AM.
01-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
@Dartmoor Dave has the right idea - when out birding, I try to wear as many cheap layers as I can, so the rain has some work to do to reach skin - and that's waterproof anyway. And if it rains in summer, a thin cotton polo shirt and shorts dry quickly.

Exactly! In the worst winter weather I'll be wearing an undershirt with two. . . yes, two. . . sweaters on top of it, and then a jacket on top of that. Plus two pairs of socks inside my wellies. Then I change clothes as soon as I get home and let the magic of a cup of hot coffee followed by some cheap Australian shiraz do its work.
01-03-2022, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Dartmoor. I'm sure you're tired of hearing it, but the first "horror / mystery" book I ever read featured areas there.

Everything you've read was probably true, but as long as you avoid the full moon or the solstices and equinoxes you should be able to get out of here alive. But please, please, beware of any wild-eyed strangers you meet out there on the moor carrying an assortment of out-of-date Pentax camera gear. Those guys are total nutters.