Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 139 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2023, 05:42 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Brooklyn Brewing
THis is one great brewery. Their flagship regular Brooklyn Lager is tasty and special. They issue special beers like that one you showed, and are amazing. However, from their regular line up I always stay with the Lager... their IPAs, Sour and others, well there are better options out there. Again, their special brews are something else.

05-31-2023, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...and a new skill is in the works, splicing and pasting tape, fixing my old tore tapes one at a time (funny how they always tear at the top of a side, I fix that side, run the tape to the end and it tears there as well.

06-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm looking at a nice pair of used Klipsch speakers on eBay. Price plus shipping would eat up most of this year's tax refund.
I'm hoping that if I wait long enough someone else will buy them or some other expense will make me come to my senses...

Chris
06-02-2023, 07:18 PM   #94
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm looking at a nice pair of used Klipsch speakers on eBay. Price plus shipping would eat up most of this year's tax refund.
I'm hoping that if I wait long enough someone else will buy them or some other expense will make me come to my senses...

Chris
You might try Craigslist. Local offerings means local pickup, and no shipping cost.

Plus, you get to actually see the items before laying down your hard earned cash.

06-06-2023, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #95
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Progress is being made with the Ariston Audio RD-40.

Platter is spinning nicely, so centre bearing is good. I have that running in new bearing oil. I've disassembled the suspension pods and they're not bad. I'm in two minds whether to replace the springs. Time will tell.

The electronics driving the motor seems OK so, next steps will be to see if the motor and clutch is good. The pulley needs a bit of careful cleaning - ultrasonic bath time I think. And I must remember to order a new drive belt. Hopefully the motor is good, or I'll need to order a new one and it's a rather pricy thing so hopefully not!

The major challenge was the Mission 774 tone arm: That was in a sorry state with the entire gimbal mount seemingly collapsed. Rumor has it that someone dropped something onto it. Well, I carefully disassembled it and the bearing points and cups are fine. Looks more likely that someone fiddled with it and did not know what they were doing. Anyway, both horizontal and vertical bearings are fine and all now adjusted and the arm is turning and raising and lowering correctly. The little lifting lever likewise needed a bit of work, but that was relatively easy too.

I've still to set tracking and dial in the weight. The wiring seems OK, but once I get to do a listening test, we'll know for sure and it may yet require rewiring. Time will tell.

I'm tempted to fit a deeper felt turntable mat on top of the rubber mat, so, if I do that I'll have to fit a spacer shim under the turntable arm mount. Will wait and see with that. Now that I know how it all comes apart it will be relatively easy to revisit that should I decide to go that route.
06-11-2023, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered a pair of used Klipsch bookshelf speakers from a seller in New Jersey with whom I have dealt before.

Model is Klipsch KG 1.2 from the early 1990's. These should be good for the bedroom stereo.

https://edsgoodstuff.com/edscart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_9&products_id=11144

I have decided to hold off on purchasing the larger Klipsch speakers for the living room.

That might change. Time will tell...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-16-2023 at 05:59 PM.
07-10-2023, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the living room I've decided (for now) to go with a satellite/subwoofer setup.
Though I prefer large floor or bookshelf speakers on stands my wife won't have it.
Our space is small; large speakers would be unsightly and add to the clutter.

For now a small Dayton (Parts Express) powered sub will be hidden behind the sofa.

I just bought a nice pair of speakers just like these:

The 3D Acoustics Cube speakers were made in Portsmouth New Hampshire in the 1980's.
They're 10" x 10" x 10" and will replace a pair of smaller NHT Super Zero speakers.
I expect I will place them at ear level on the bookcase/wall unit, or on end tables.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-12-2023 at 03:16 PM.
07-11-2023, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For the living room I've decided (for now) to go with a satellite/subwoofer setup.Though I prefer large floor or bookshelf speakers on stands my wife won't have it.Our space is small; large speakers would be unsightly and add to the clutter.
A sat/sub setup can work really well once you've got the subwoofer tuned in. My Yamaha NS-SW300 works so well with my Linn Kans that it's completely unnoticeable until some real bass comes along. But setting up the sub can be a pain, and even small changes in the room's furniture layout can mean starting out with the setup all over again. Ultimately it's worth it though, as I've got clean and truly musical bass all the way down to 20Hz.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm tempted to fit a deeper felt turntable mat on top of the rubber mat, so, if I do that I'll have to fit a spacer shim under the turntable arm mount. Will wait and see with that. Now that I know how it all comes apart it will be relatively easy to revisit that should I decide to go that route.
I'm a bit late with this suggestion, but nothing beats the Linn felt mat. You even have to use the damn thing the right way up (which means rough side up, smooth side down). A big part of the legendary LP12 sound comes from that mat.
07-12-2023, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Tannoy MX sub tuned to my ancient (1975!) Leak 2030 speakers, and the sound is really good. My problem is more at the other end, as my hearing ability at age 70 is down to around 12KHz now…
07-12-2023, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I have a Tannoy MX sub tuned to my ancient (1975!) Leak 2030 speakers, and the sound is really good. My problem is more at the other end, as my hearing ability at age 70 is down to around 12KHz now…
But you feel the bass more than hear it.

Crank it up!

Feel the power.

07-27-2023, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plan B

I bought a pair of adjustable height speaker floor stands for the satellite speakers.
To simply installation they can be positioned behind the sofa, along with the subwoofer.

Placing the speakers in the bookcase on the far wall is probably impractical.
We don't have carpeting and it would be difficult to conceal speaker wires.

Not surprisingly my wife doesn't want speakers on the end tables either.

When she sees how unattractive the speakers on stands are maybe she'll
warm up to the idea of larger speakers on the floor, which is my preference.

I do have a pair of small Advents and nice short stands to put them on...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-28-2023 at 09:42 AM.
08-13-2023, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plan C

I picked up a pair of nice sounding vintage H.H. Scott S-10B speakers for $45 from a seller in Brooklyn.
This model features a 10" woofer and 3½" cone tweeter in a sealed "monkey coffin" enclosure.
The drivers of these are intact and the real walnut veneer cabinets are in good condition.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-13-2023 at 04:47 PM.
08-24-2023, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I am committed to CD listening I bought a NOS JVC home audio CD player made in the 1990s.
In my experience these were very reliable and sound very good for consumer models.
This one has the titanium finish; it will look good paired with either a black or silver amp.

Chris
08-25-2023, 12:24 AM - 3 Likes   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well. After posting about how great my speakers sounded, and how bad my hearing was getting, I discovered that… the tweeters were blown in my 48-year-old Leaks! So I’ve put them into a home (the garage) and replaced them with Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2s, which also play very nicely with the Tannoy sub. And I’m back to hearing triangles and crotales that I’d been missing!
08-25-2023, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Well. After posting about how great my speakers sounded, and how bad my hearing was getting, I discovered that… the tweeters were blown in my 48-year-old Leaks! So I’ve put them into a home (the garage) and replaced them with Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2s, which also play very nicely with the Tannoy sub. And I’m back to hearing triangles and crotales that I’d been missing!

Suggest you search the audio forums for your speaker model and "tweeter".
You will likely find recommendations for exact make/model numbers for suitable replacements.

Chris