Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2022, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with Legalese, Please

Terms of Service in another photography forum - which recently changed ownership - include the following paragraph. Seems hinky to me. Worrisome, or no?

"You agree to grant to XXXXXX* a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information you submit to any public areas, chat rooms, bulletin boards, newsgroups or forums of XXXXXX or which you provide by email or any other means to XXXXXX and in any media now known or hereafter developed. Further, you grant to XXXXXX the right to use your name and or user name in connection with the submitted materials and other information as well as in connection with all advertising, marketing and promotional material related thereto, together with use on any other BIGEVILCORPORATION* web sites. You agree that you shall have no recourse against BIGEVILCORPORATION for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to XXXXXX."

*Names changed to protect the presumed innocent.

01-17-2022, 05:20 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Now I am no lawyer, but reads to me they're just trying to give themselves permission to steal your photos posted there to do whatever they like with...
01-17-2022, 06:11 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not hinky at all, it lays it out

you could choose not to use the site

I wouldn't use it

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-17-2022 at 06:47 PM.
01-17-2022, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

or, continue to use the website with the knowledge that any photos you decide to post are no longer yours....

01-17-2022, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, fellas. I thought that perhaps I was being overly sensitive, but y'all have confirmed my feelings on the matter.
01-17-2022, 07:45 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
A bit late to this party, but BIGEVILCORPORATION's (and liittle ones too. ) thrive on people blindly ticking the I Agree checkbox out of laziness.

Really well spotted, and thanks for sharing. My membership there wouldn't be problematic though..................none of my pix are worth stealing.
01-17-2022, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In fairness to whichever BIGEVILCORP this one relates to, Faceplant's conditions of service are very, very similar. Basically, if they did not have that "license", they could not operate their site and could not show your "friends" the content you may want to show your "friends".

I'd be more surprised if BIGEVILCORP does not have conditions such as these.

01-17-2022, 08:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
In fairness to whichever BIGEVILCORP this one relates to, Faceplant's conditions of service are very, very similar. Basically, if they did not have that "license", they could not operate their site and could not show your "friends" the content you may want to show your "friends".

I'd be more surprised if BIGEVILCORP does not have conditions such as these.
What made this interesting is the previous owner of the forum did not have such language, and some members of that forum were taken aback by this new language. Terms like "irrevocable" and "create derivative works" and using content for "advertising, marketing and promotional material" were not used. I suppose this may simply be the difference between the forum once being owned by a single individual and now it's owned by a company, but this updated TOS has caused a significant exodus over the last few weeks.
01-17-2022, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
A bit late to this party, but BIGEVILCORPORATION's (and liittle ones too. ) thrive on people blindly ticking the I Agree checkbox out of laziness.

Really well spotted, and thanks for sharing. My membership there wouldn't be problematic though..................none of my pix are worth stealing.
Certainly none of my pics are worth pilfering, either I don't post there are much as I once did, though, now that I am solely a Pentax shooter.
01-18-2022, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What made this interesting is the previous owner of the forum did not have such language, and some members of that forum were taken aback by this new language. Terms like "irrevocable" and "create derivative works" and using content for "advertising, marketing and promotional material" were not used. I suppose this may simply be the difference between the forum once being owned by a single individual and now it's owned by a company, but this updated TOS has caused a significant exodus over the last few weeks.
No doubt. Said individual probably did not have the same lawyers as BIGEVILCORP so I guess the previous terms were less onerous.