Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #1

ebay "make an offer" - any advice

I notice that more vendors are including 'make an offer' in their ebay auctions, including prodigital in Canada. Does anyone have any advice for making offers?

12-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Forum Member

I've done it with prodig and they seem very nice about it all. If you offer something lower than they'll accept they usually turn around and counter offer saying "we can do it for xxx at the lowest", and you've got 48 hours to accept their counter offer.

Smooth process, they dont ark up about it or get insulted if your offer is too low unlike some other sellers.
12-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Prodigital has always accepted 10% or a bit more off their asking price with me.

I guess, though, with a best offer you wouldn't have any chance of that fancy cashback thing, right?

There's no harm in trying--or else they wouldn't put "best offer" in there at all!
12-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If it's a recurrent listing (such as for Prodigital), you can do a search for completed sales for the same item and see what the accepted offers were. Then I usually offer somewhat less than that, and see how it goes. The system is a bit whimsical, I found that sometimes people accept offers that are lower, sometimes they reject offers that are as high or higher than previously accepted ones. I guess it depends on inventory, demand (and for Canadian stores, exchange rates), and on whoever is in charge of evaluating offers at a given time. Sometimes you can nail some pretty good deals though.

12-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If I were you, I would offer less than what they're asking.
12-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Ed in GA

I use the "Make an Offer" option on everything I sell on e-bay.

I usually list with a BIN and Make an offer option. My Buy it now price is usually a little above what anyone will actually pay for the item.

With the make an offer option, I can take a look at who is making the offer, check out their "feedback left for others" and if I see a lot of negatives or neutrals, I usually decline the offer. I find that people who tend to leave a lot of negative/neutral feedbacks are people who will try to scam you into a lower price after the transaction is made and if you don't go for it, they leave negative feedback.

This is especially true now that sellers cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer.

I could be that some of the "Power Sellers" (ProDigital, Hotdigital & etc) have adopted this method as well.
12-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the best-offers. Some sellers will take a lot lower than the BIN price, and it's generally a pleasant way of dealing. It seems to make a lot of people happy with things: especially when there's non-photo people don't really want to research or test what they have: they can put up some arbitrary BIN price and if someone snaps it up, they get that, ...if not, they can make a sale. I haven't tried it with a big store or anything, though.

12-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've tried to sell a few times with it, but never had much luck with it. I had a lot of low ball offers and silly questions. Usually, the item I'm selling expires and I relist with a standard auction and get more than what I was originally looking for. I guess it's what your selling and who's looking.

-Brian
12-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for the great thread.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but once you leave the BIN price, you can't go back to it, and the bidding may take you somewhere else.

But i used the make an offer deal recently and it worked well. There was about 5 used flashes of the same type from different sellers, and one flash had a $35 BIN price, just 8 above a bidding process going on somewhere else. I counter offered $30 and it was immediately accepted.
12-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the good advice; it has been very helpful.

One extra question - iIs it possible to find out what the price was if an item sells using 'make an offer'?
12-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
Many thanks for all the good advice; it has been very helpful.

One extra question - iIs it possible to find out what the price was if an item sells using 'make an offer'?
you usually can but only after the auction has ended. if you look at the bid history itll show you all the offers and if they were accepted or rejected.