Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Old thread, but hey, it's valid!

I've done last minute prints at Walmart (WHCC for everything else), and I get great colors I get from their Fuji Frontier printer. I'm sorry to say that no one in my immediate area (within 25 miles) has anything other than the cheap Kodak laser-type kiosk printers so I don't bother going with that glossy mess.

Understand that photo-managers and employees can get raked over the coals if a photo printing job results in a copyright complaint/suit. I'm not defending the attitude part of the whole deal, but perhaps their overzealousness is understandable.

It's either that or how many ethically questionable shots they get to process in one day.

I for one made sure that before I started printing there I told them who I was and what I did. They gave me a form that states who I was and that I'm the copyright holder and kept it on file. It's been a couple of years and I don't get asked anything as long as they look at my file. If they give me attitude, I tell em to look at my file as they should have and soon I'm on my way.

It's all about the manager and how he/she runs their outfit!

01-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

About 10 years ago, I was managing a Wal-Mart photo lab. I copied some pictures which, if one adhered strictly to Canadian copyright laws, was 100% OK to print.
It was, however, a breach of policy, and I spent a year on what Wal-Mart calls "Coaching".
If the company sets a rule for the employee to follow, the employee breaks the rule at some risk.
For those of you who haven't worked as a counter person for a photolab, customers can be anywhere between very pushy to downright belligerent when they want you to copy an image that policy says you can't copy.
It's little wonder that the staff might be a bit on the rude side about it. First of all, the customer wants you to break policy (and often the law), and the odds are very good that they will be pissy about it when you refuse to do it.
Most of the time when a customer comes to the counter with what appears to be a copywritten image it is, it isn't theirs to copy, and they will be abusive about it.

Wildnsyko, to answer your questions, be gracious and accept that it's very easy to be offended by something you read on a computer screen and accept that Gooshin, who I haven't personally known for this long to believe otherwise, meant you no ill will.

Also, if you have a good quality photo grade printer, and know what you need to know about colour theory and monitor/printer/paper profiling, and are willing to accept that your printing costs will increase tremendously for a product which may not last as well as a photographic print, then yes, you are better to print at home.

For myself, I have a very high end printer at home, I know about monitor/paper/printer profiling, but I still do the bulk of my printing at a photo lab.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-21-2009 at 08:03 AM.
01-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Accept it. He's actually a helpful, nice sort. Just don't tell him I said that. He gets a big head.

Personally I print at work on a Xerox Doc 12 or a Ricoh LC 160

Oh yeah, I'm older than you 2.

OK I am giving fair warning. Stupidity follows below

So before you were a she you were a he. Or before you were a he you were a she?
Per my Mother, I've always been a she but per those who don't really know me, they assume that everyone on the internet is a he.

01-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #49
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Per my Mother, I've always been a she but per those who don't really know me, they assume that everyone on the internet is a he.

Do you really believe your mom? Can she be trusted?

And cars and machines are always "she"

And I am sure you're a pretty She.

By the way I just want to welcome you to the forum and glad you are aboard. Cheers.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 01-21-2009 at 09:11 AM.
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
About 10 years ago, I was managing a Wal-Mart photo lab. I copied some pictures which, if one adhered strictly to Canadian copyright laws, was 100% OK to print.
It was, however, a breach of policy, and I spent a year on what Wal-Mart calls "Coaching".
If the company sets a rule for the employee to follow, the employee breaks the rule at some risk.
For those of you who haven't worked as a counter person for a photolab, customers can be anywhere between very pushy to downright belligerent when they want you to copy an image that policy says you can't copy.
It's little wonder that the staff might be a bit on the rude side about it. First of all, the customer wants you to break policy (and often the law), and the odds are very good that they will be pissy about it when you refuse to do it.
Most of the time when a customer comes to the counter with what appears to be a copywritten image it is, it isn't theirs to copy, and they will be abusive about it.

Wildnsyko, to answer your questions, be gracious and accept that it's very easy to be offended by something you read on a computer screen and accept that Gooshin, who I haven't personally known for this long to believe otherwise, meant you no ill will.

Also, if you have a good quality photo grade printer, and know what you need to know about colour theory and monitor/printer/paper profiling, and are willing to accept that your printing costs will increase tremendously for a product which may not last as well as a photographic print, then yes, you are better to print at home.

For myself, I have a very high end printer at home, I know about monitor/paper/printer profiling, but I still do the bulk of my printing at a photo lab.
I know what you mean about the pushy people. And they will try to get you to do what's wrong because they think it's right. I helped cashiering before Christmas. There was a couple that got mad because we wouldn't give them a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper on sale because a local supermarket had only "COKE OR DIET COKE VARIETIES ONLY" on sale and they argued that the Dr. Pepper was a COke product. You could not get it through their head that the ad said for Coke and Diet Coke all varieties, not all PRODUCTS.

And now that the Photolab is next to our department, I get to hear all the complaints from people. Worse during the holidays.
01-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
I know what you mean about the pushy people. And they will try to get you to do what's wrong because they think it's right. I helped cashiering before Christmas. There was a couple that got mad because we wouldn't give them a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper on sale because a local supermarket had only "COKE OR DIET COKE VARIETIES ONLY" on sale and they argued that the Dr. Pepper was a COke product. You could not get it through their head that the ad said for Coke and Diet Coke all varieties, not all PRODUCTS.

And now that the Photolab is next to our department, I get to hear all the complaints from people. Worse during the holidays.

Nothing personal but I avoid going into WallyWorld unless its a have to case. They seem to draw the strangest crowds of people. I feel like I need a GPS to get out of there!
01-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Do you really believe your mom? Can she be trusted?

And cars and machines are always "she"

And I am sure you're a pretty She.

By the way I just want to welcome you to the forum and glad you are aboard. Cheers.
Yeah, she can be trusted. And you're right, cars, trucks, boats and whathaveyou have always been referred to as "she".

Thanks for the welcome and I only have 2 weeks until I receive my K200D and then I'll be an official Pentaxian!!

01-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Nothing personal but I avoid going into WallyWorld unless its a have to case. They seem to draw the strangest crowds of people. I feel like I need a GPS to get out of there!
You and a half million other people. And I always notice that the real weirdos come out around the holidays. Try working the overnight hours... we see some really weird people then....