Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Stuck ground glass stopper??

I've just "unearthed" a cruet which I think my Grandmother bought, probably in the 1920s. It is glass with decorative work, probably hand done, and a ground glass stopper with a silver knob, probably sterling.
Sadly it seems that the cruet was put away with no oil or grease on the ground glass mating surfaces. I'm afraid to use any force for fear of breaking off the silver knob. While it may have little monetary value, it has sentimental value to me. I recall in chem lab - I did two years toward a B.S. - mating ground glass surfaces were greased, what kind of grease I don't know.
Any suggestions for removing the stopper?
Many thanks!

05-05-2022, 09:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did a google search and found this: https://www.thoughtco.com/remove-a-stopper-3976101
05-05-2022, 09:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I did a google search and found this: https://www.thoughtco.com/remove-a-stopper-3976101
Certainly worth a try! This is a trick I've used on jar lids, although a failure or damage to the lid would be far less consequential.

Many thanks,

George
05-06-2022, 04:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can also try putting the whole thing in the fridge or freezer for a few hours and then setting it in a sink full of warm (not too hot) water, leaving the stopper out of the water. A little thermal expansion sometimes works wonders.

05-06-2022, 06:24 AM   #5

Run warm water over the neck, as close to the stopper as you can get?
As was mentioned, thermal expansion is all you have to work with.

Kirk B.
05-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could try getting some mineral oil soaked in between the ground surfaces and letting it sit a while.
06-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could also try sweating it loose - spot heating glass is a kind of last ditch option as the risk of breaking it is very high.

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I did two years toward a B.S. - mating ground glass surfaces were greased, what kind of grease I don't know.
We use all kinds of grease in the lab these days: what is used really depends upon the reagents involved and the desired reaction conditions.