Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I saw spirit people celebrated this event
Just awesome
Great when country have respect to Her Majesty
06-03-2022, 01:29 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I long for the day we become a republic. I can see their "relevance" for the British........but not for us.
06-03-2022, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

My only printable comment is to wonder how much money was spent nationally on this 'celebration' - and to enquire why a similar amount has not been made available to improve the NHS (National Health Service) ?

06-03-2022, 06:06 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
My only printable comment is to wonder how much money was spent nationally on this 'celebration' - and to enquire why a similar amount has not been made available to improve the NHS (National Health Service) ?
Oh, let's not get political! The sun's shining, it's a warm weekend in June and there have been worse reasons to have a party after two years of lockdowns and other tedious measures. HM has seen 70 years in the job, a job she has tackled in exemplary fashion whatever your views on a monarchy might be.

We're having a small shindig for friends tomorrow afternoon and I can hear sounds of baking from our kitchen. Cheers!
06-03-2022, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've read that the Monarchy brings far more money into the economy than it costs, FWIW.

The Queen seems like a lovely person.
06-03-2022, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canada's Parliament Centre Block was bathed in purple light and images of the Queen: Queen's Platinum Jubilee: Peace Tower, other landmarks in Ottawa to be lit purple | CTV News

Prince Charles and Camilla visited parts of Canada recently to mark the Jubilee. They were greeted warmly by the attending crowds.

- Craig

06-03-2022, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've read that the Monarchy brings far more money into the economy than it costs, FWIW.

The Queen seems like a lovely person.
I think it’s the history and culture that does it,French history is probably worth as much to them in terms of tourism and they did away with their hereditary head of state centuries ago.
06-03-2022, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much do you think a 4 day event like this costs ?

It costs £500 million every single day to run the NHS, and we are getting very poor value for money from it

---------- Post added 06-03-22 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
've read that the Monarchy brings far more money into the economy than it costs, FWIW.
You are correct

---------- Post added 06-03-22 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I long for the day we become a republic. I can see their "relevance" for the British........but not for us.
The choice resides solely with the Australian people. No-one is forcing you to have the British monarch as head of state.
06-03-2022, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Please ignore the folks from Western Oz, they have been known to have referendums to remove themselves from Australia!
06-03-2022, 08:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Please ignore the folks from Western Oz, they have been known to have referendums to remove themselves from Australia!

Haha, ain't that the truth. Although I think it would be a disaster. In fact I'm a believer in doing away with the states altogether
06-04-2022, 02:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
In practice, both the UK and Australia are republics. The Queen is a ceremonial figurehead.
06-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
In practice, both the UK and Australia are republics. The Queen is a ceremonial figurehead.
I will believe that England is a republic as soon as they can produce a constitution.

Good job for the Queen. "The Firm" has been in pretty good hands under her and she has guided it through some trying times.

The real monarch of England is a man name Michael Hastings who actually lives in Australia. He is a direct descendant of the last Plantagenet King with a very strong claim to the throne. He is happier living where he is so it looks like The Firm is still safe.

For those who wonder, meet Michael Hastings.

06-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

The real monarch of England is a man name Michael Hastings who actually lives in Australia. He is a direct descendant of the last Plantagenet King with a very strong claim to the throne. He is happier living where he is so it looks like The Firm is still safe.

For those who wonder, meet Michael Hastings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVzDf-KhXU
In days gone by he’d have been a marked man
06-04-2022, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The real monarch of England is a man name Michael Hastings who actually lives in Australia.
So by rights, the UK (or at least England) should be ruled from Australia

Meanwhile I shall campaign for England's independence from the Channel Isles. In 1066 England became a possession of the Duke of Normandy, and the Channel Isles are the remaining part of that duchy, the rest having been taken over by France over the years. Since then, England has been conquered by the Welsh (Bosworth 1485), then taken over (without resistance) by the Scots (1603), then (with some slight resistance) by the Dutch 1688, and finally (without resistance) by the Germans in 1714. Some of those kings did not even speak English.