Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A photography forum...What about it?

I've been working on the idea of a photo forum for a while now. I love running forums and since photography is the thing that I'm most interested in, I would love to have one about it. The only problem is that I can't distinguish it. Flickr and many other camera oriented websites have taken most of the share, but I want more of a forum where people can discuss photography without the cameras being involved, where it's just photography. Of course there'd be sections for cameras, the PS crowd and the pro SLR, but it should simply be about photos. I just don't know what to do with it.
Should I try starting it and see if anyone joins? Just simply a forum where users can upload their own photos and share them? I would really appreciate input from people here, as trying to do something this big alone is no easy task for me, especially after already doing it once with a Star Trek forum.

12-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are too many photo forums where brands do not matter. I am a member of at least 8 fora like that.

jpgmag.com is one of the best examples and great photography all around.
12-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alternatively, you could create a dedicated forum that covers the kind of photography you enjoy doing most. I am sure there are many people on the internet who like what you like.

James does raise a good point. There are already countless forums dedicated to photography alone.
12-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
I've been working on the idea of a photo forum for a while now. I love running forums and since photography is the thing that I'm most interested in, I would love to have one about it. The only problem is that I can't distinguish it. Flickr and many other camera oriented websites have taken most of the share, but I want more of a forum where people can discuss photography without the cameras being involved, where it's just photography. Of course there'd be sections for cameras, the PS crowd and the pro SLR, but it should simply be about photos. I just don't know what to do with it.
Should I try starting it and see if anyone joins? Just simply a forum where users can upload their own photos and share them? I would really appreciate input from people here, as trying to do something this big alone is no easy task for me, especially after already doing it once with a Star Trek forum.
Try the PDML. While Pentax oriented, it is more of a general discussion photography forum with the occasional technical question thrown in.

12-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's the problem that I'm having is that there are already so many.

The thing is I want the forum to be about the photos. Have the amatuers not be able to be distinguished from the professionals. Sure it would have talks in it about the cameras, but the photo aspect of the forum is simply to see great photos and make new friends. This was originally done by Flickr, but now yahoo has commercialized it out of them, so I wanted to start a forum ideal form of Flickr. I don't want to just join another website though, I want to start one.
12-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you ready to do lots of programming or spend some BIG bucks developing the website/software? That's really where the power is in all these photography websites. Also remember that the big websites are heavily commercialized. The only reason these webmasters start these sites is for the money. They may have cared about the topic, but eventually, the traffic becomes lucrative.
12-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm planning on adapting Simple Machines Forums to be able to fit a more simple and user oriented interface. Hopefully that can draw more traffic to the website.

12-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

A forum where you talk about image content, meaning, composition, intent etc?

That is crazy talk - pure and simple. Everyone knows that the equipment is the important part. Content is for those "Artsy Types" who think the image is more important that the price/model/manufacture. Silly people.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's the thing. It's not supposed to be about the equipment at all, but about the photos.

By the way I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

say what?

That's the thing. It's not supposed to be about the equipment at all, but about the photos.

If you can not detect the sarcasm in my statements, I suggest that you not start or participate in a forum such as you are proposing. Just how obvious do I have to be – do I have to put /sarcasm on - /sarcasm off tags to look hwith it?

I do not speak AOL.

The Elitist – formerly known as PDL
12-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

In some cases it may not matter, but in many cases, things like focal length, aperture, shutter speed, flash, flash location etc. is interesting. Also film specs or sensor type and specs is also important.
12-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
A forum where you talk about image content, meaning, composition, intent etc?

That is crazy talk - pure and simple. Everyone knows that the equipment is the important part. Content is for those "Artsy Types" who think the image is more important that the price/model/manufacture. Silly people.

Oh, my God. PDL has turned into a RH during my months of absence. This may require weeks of deprogramming to restore him back to a half-way normal person (never was fully normal).

stewart
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Oh, my God. PDL has turned into a RH during my months of absence. This may require weeks of deprogramming to restore him back to a half-way normal person (never was fully normal).

stewart
Not quite - I just checked up on the OP - I have lenses that are twice his age. While the intent of the post is admirable - I question the ability of someone with no demonstrable judging credentials, experience, training or any other qualifications to run such a forum, other than "I run a discussion forum about Star Trek" to propose such a large project.

Give us some criteria to run the forum other than it will "not be about equipment". Here is an example - OP - please tell us two basic things:
1. Describe the difference between critique and criticism. (Dictionary definitions do not count)
2. What are the basic elements (describe in any way you wish) that constitute a "good" image. Try starting here http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php

Just remember, old-age and treachery will overwhelm youth and vigor. Look at the images I have posted in the gallery - not your usual puppy, bug, flower, baby, child etc. Yup I shoot for art - just what the OP had in mind - I would enjoy a good discussion about photography - but have it led by someone with more experience or someone who is willing say why they are qualified to run such a forum. I have had such a experience and it was one of the best 5 days I have ever had. During this little experience, we talked about equipment for 20 minutes ---- total. The majority of the time it was CONTENT and INTENT. It was critique not criticize (see 1. above) and no one asked "What lens did you use?" or said if you were using a "Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji -- fill in the blank -- with a "Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Tamron, Sigma, Soligor, Vivitar -- fill in the blank -- it would have been "better"". The staff would argue over which one got to use the Holga for the day - especially the one held together with duct tape. Equipment indeed.

It is all about the image - I would love a photography forum - just one that is being run by someone who will state WHY they should be the primary driver of such an independent forum.

Oh, and I was being sarcastic - I am appalled that no one could pick up on that. I will ignore the implication of becoming RH - If that is true - then maybe I should just give up.

Last edited by PDL; 12-29-2008 at 09:50 PM.
12-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, and I was being sarcastic - I am appalled that no one could pick up on that. I will ignore the implication of becoming RH - If that is true - then maybe I should just give up.
Your sarcasm came across loud and clear to me, however, so did Stewart's. Looks like there's circular sarcasm going on in this place... Heaven help us!
12-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

(snip) Oh, and I was being sarcastic - I am appalled that no one could pick up on that. I will ignore the implication of becoming RH - If that is true - then maybe I should just give up.

Of course you were being sarcastic. And I was just joking in response to that (surely you don't believe I'd spend weeks deprogramming you in any case), so where's your old sense of humor, my friend?

By the way, I agree with your assessment of the OP's forum idea, just as I've agreed in the past with a good many of your viewpoints.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 12-30-2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling mistake