Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2022, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I have some ~ OK ones but I've never gotten them to behave for both eyes. Some lingering strabismus (surgically corrected) is the issue.

A friend suggested going to Wild Birds Unlimited (or similar type store) and check out what they have. They even have targets you can focus on.
Had to look up 'Strabismus' - I'd only ever encountered the word as the character 'Dr. Strabismus' from 'Beachcomber' :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_of_Beachcomber

06-13-2022, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have several pairs of Pentax binoculars. I also got the monocular for grins and giggles. It works great for me.

My best pair is the ZD 10X43 ED I got from B&H on sale about 3 1/2 years ago. Awesome optics.

I also have the 8X25 A-Series AD WP compact binoculars. Very handy and fit in a shirt pocket.

I have the 4x20 VD WP 3-in-1 Binocular too. It can be broken down into two monoculars, or can be made into a 16x20 telescope. I got it for the novelty of the system, but it does what it says it should. When combined into a binocular, you can focus each eye separately.

Quick note. The average diameter of the pupil of the human eye is about 5mm. A 10x50 binocular has an image circle diameter of 5mm. I use it as a guide to choosing what binoculars I may want to get. That is the reason the 8x40, 10x50 and 7x35 binoculars are so popular. The same rule holds for spotting scopes. The other thing to look for is eye relief. A longer eye relief may allow you to wear glasses while viewing. That is important for some people.

e the
06-13-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should also be noted that models with wide(r) field of view are generally brighter and less fatiguing to use, especially at dawn and dusk.

Chris
06-14-2022, 05:15 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Every nature observer should have one or more PAPILIO 6.5x21's. After experiencing a pair you may decide you need nothing else.... except another pair for the car glovebox, motorbike etc etc. I do have better and pricier optics (Pentax ones as well)... but mostly use the paps....

06-14-2022, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Every nature observer should have one or more PAPILIO 6.5x21's. After experiencing a pair you may decide you need nothing else.... except another pair for the car glovebox, motorbike etc etc. I do have better and pricier optics (Pentax ones as well)... but mostly use the paps....

Agreed! For $99 they are great binoculars.

Chris
06-14-2022, 05:19 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm almost sold on these, but Vortex is 45 minutes away from me so I might just peek at what they have for similar price point.
06-15-2022, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I'm almost sold on these, but Vortex is 45 minutes away from me so I might just peek at what they have for similar price point.

If trying something out ..... try looking at an ant on the ground near your feet..... and.... look at a back lit branch/etc near the edge of the field of view.... nothing compares for these things at the price point...... sadly I use them for readimg medicine bottle small print!