Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is it with people these days!

Yesterday I decided to head down to the camera store and take a look at some of their Christmas deals when I noticed a couple checking out the new D90. After watching them for some time and listening to the salesperson I could tell these people had no idea what a DSLR was. Watching them as the salesperson tried to explain shutter speed and aperture was like watching a first grader try and learn calculus. Due to them knowing nothing, I watched the salesperson sucker them into buying a 24-70 f2.8 lens along with the D90 body. So this couple just spent over $2,000 on something they know nothing about or even care for, when a $500 point and shoot would have probably been more suited for their needs.

Sorry for ranting, but it just drives me crazy to see things happen.

12-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Banned

its called making sales, on ill informed people with money. this has been happening for a long time. businesses should be more honest and helpful, and people should better inform themselves prior to spending money. they both loose. though the consumer is the real sucker. but by his own doing?
12-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Yesterday I decided to head down to the camera store and take a look at some of their Christmas deals when I noticed a couple checking out the new D90. After watching them for some time and listening to the salesperson I could tell these people had no idea what a DSLR was. Watching them as the salesperson tried to explain shutter speed and aperture was like watching a first grader try and learn calculus. Due to them knowing nothing, I watched the salesperson sucker them into buying a 24-70 f2.8 lens along with the D90 body. So this couple just spent over $2,000 on something they know nothing about or even care for, when a $500 point and shoot would have probably been more suited for their needs.

Sorry for ranting, but it just drives me crazy to see things happen.
its called disposable income, and disposable income should be spent (atleast right now)

if a couple that knows nothing about cameras walked into a camera store and picked up a "toy" for two grand without even flinching, that means their financial position can allow them to do so.

someone that will be pinching their pennies will research prior, but this isnt who we are talking about.

their 2000 (disposable) dollars just paid someones salary.

and they didnt get a bad camera, nor did they get a bad lens, they will be happy with their purchase.

===========

i know people who can burn their house down and not even flinch, am i jealous, yes, but i cant judge them on how they spend their money, except to shamelessly get on their good list

Last edited by Gooshin; 12-17-2008 at 11:16 AM.
12-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Next thing you know they'll be posting stupid questions on some damn forum!

12-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
Next thing you know they'll be posting stupid questions on some damn forum!

But isn't that one of the ways we stupid new people learn...from other experienced people? I was once an unsuspecting new buyer and I was told there are no stupid questions. A person has to start someplace...right? Perhaps the clerk may have considered offering them a less involved camera, but I say, if they have the money to spend, then bravo for them being willing to try something new.

Last edited by KatyAZ; 12-17-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: misspelled word
12-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The question, to me, is did the couple walk in and go directly over to the DSLR section or did they walk in and say something along the lines of "we're looking for a nice camera"? In other words, did they gravitate themselves to the over-their-head DSLRs or did the salesperson pull them over that direction?

If the salesperson "took" them over to the D90 then shame on them for taking advantage; there's a certain amount of ethics that should be upheld even in a repressed economy during the holiday shopping blitzkrieg.

But if the couple sauntered right up to the DSLRs and said "oooh that one's so big and pretty!" then so be it and I wish them all the best with the learning curve.
12-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Really, you just don't know the whole conversation... to some there's no virtue in struggling with a kit lens when their time costs more than the difference in price: it may not make sense to a lot of struggling photogs in a way, but if someone's grossing a hundred bucks an hour, as a salesperson, I'd be *wasting their time* telling them to cheap out on something that won't do what they want.

I did work retail back in the says when automation wasn't something you'd take for granted in the 'pro' or more-expensive cameras, and then you'd maybe want to steer them toward something more user-friendly, but nowadays, it's almost *all* user-friendly if you turn a switch to green. A d90 isn't excess to a lot of people wanting to play photographer around their sports-star kids, and if I had the scratch, I wouldn't bother to hand my little sister a slow lens if I didn't have to, either.

(And, I mean, too, I dealt with a *lot* of these types of folks in the 80s, when I did work retail. For them, photography's hard enough without messing around with things they find 'cheap.' As a result there's like a million Super Programs and AE-1Ps and Nikon FA's out there nowadays... They ended up in a lot of closets, but it wasn't cause customers were unhappy.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-17-2008 at 02:19 PM.
12-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
its called disposable income, and disposable income should be spent (atleast right now)

if a couple that knows nothing about cameras walked into a camera store and picked up a "toy" for two grand without even flinching, that means their financial position can allow them to do so.

someone that will be pinching their pennies will research prior, but this isnt who we are talking about.

their 2000 (disposable) dollars just paid someones salary.

and they didnt get a bad camera, nor did they get a bad lens, they will be happy with their purchase.

===========

i know people who can burn their house down and not even flinch, am i jealous, yes, but i cant judge them on how they spend their money, except to shamelessly get on their good list
You make a good point there Goohsin, I for one learned the value of a dollar when I was younger. I believe this is the reason things like this bother me; for example, when I made the jump from my point and shoot to a DSLR I researched for about a month prior to buying my pentax. I just could not see myself walking into a camera store and spend over $2000 on something I have not even researched.
12-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The couple obviously had the money and probably wanted the camera. Nikon has some pretty nice TV ads running for that camera right now and i'm willing to bet that couple saw that Ashton Kutcher ad and wanted the camera. It probably does a good job in full auto mode and if you watch the ad they are running, Nikon is pushing it as an "anybody can use it" high end camera. Some people just want the "best" and the salesman sold them what they wanted. There is a guy up the road from me who bought a full dress Harley touring bike and "tours" all the way to the local diner on sunny weekend mornings and then puts it back in the garage. Was the Harley dealer ripping the guy off by not selling him a moped? Its called business and thats how stores stay open.