Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 152 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2022, 08:10 PM - 26 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alas, many good things come to an end.

In regards to my previous post some months agp regarding terminal illness(LINK), it seemed that an update is in order. I was informed this week that my efforts to secure a lung transplant have failed (too debilitated too survive the procedure). In response, I have shifted my focus to palliative care and (eventually) hospice with an emphasis to leave as many traces of myself as I can before bidding this world one last smile of farewell.

As for Pentax Forums, those traces will likely run like this:
  • Legacy Flash Review section for the Vivitar 3500 (was posted as a stub, but apparently removed by the mods.) There will also be a full article in the lighting subforum.
  • My notes (full forum article) and camera review of the Pentax *ist D.
  • Gear...yes, that reads GEAR,
    I am instructing the executor of my estate to limit offers of my stuff to the market place on this site. Many things will be offered free for cost of shipping. In addition, I also intend to gift several items, some quite desirable, to Pentax Forum for use as contest prizes and other site promotion feature. I have yet to spring this plan on them. I am sure they will be thrilled.

Y'all here at PF are an amazing bunch and have been so good to me. My daughter will post a final fair-well after my demise.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-27-2022 at 08:28 PM.
06-24-2022, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dammit
06-24-2022, 08:25 PM - 11 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I regards to my previous post regarding terminal illness(LINK), it seemed that an update is in order. I was informed this week that my efforts to secure a lung transplant have failed (too debilitated too survive the procedure). I response, I have shifted my focus to palliative care and (eventually) hospice with an emphasis to leave as many traces of myself as I can before bidding this world one last smile of farewell.

As for Pentax Forums, those traces will likely run like this:
  • Legacy Flash Review for the Vivitar 3500 (was posted as a stub, but apparently removed by the mods.) There will also be a full article in the lighting subforum.
  • My notes (full forum article) and camera review of the Pentax *ist D.
  • Gear...yes, that reads GEAR,
    I am instructing the executor of my estate to limit offers of my stuff to the market place on this site. Many things will be offered free for cost of shipping. In addition, I also intend to gift several items, some quite desirable, to Pentax Forum for use as contest prizes and other site promotion feature. I have yet to spring this plan on them. I am sure they will be thrilled.

Y'all here at PF are an amazing bunch and have been so good to me. My daughter will post a final fair-well after my demise.

I suspect that the mods will taser me, but this, sir, sucks a whole lot of ass, Steve...

I'm sorry to have read that you are leaving so soon/too soon/at all, and have to say that you'll be missed....
06-24-2022, 08:32 PM - 11 Likes   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Alas, many good things come to an end.
Steve, you are showing tremendous courage and grace in the face of what you are going through.
The vast majority of your 42,000+ posts have been informative and helpful for the membership in some way, and a benefit to the forums overall.

Your legacy here is writ large. You and your family are in my thoughts.

06-24-2022, 11:13 PM - 7 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I am truly sorry to hear this, Steve. You are, without a doubt, one of my very favourite forum contributors, and I wish I could have met you in person. Thank you sincerely for all your gracious and valuable input to this community over the years, and - on a personal note - for the knowledgeable advice, measured opinions and laughs you've given me along the way. Throughout my time here, you've been a mainstay of the community and will forever remain a shining example of what it means to be a "good forum member".

With love to you and your family from across the pond...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-24-2022 at 11:25 PM.
06-25-2022, 12:48 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Steve,so very sorry to hear this.My thoughts are with you,
best wishes Tim
06-25-2022, 02:47 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry Steve. I think that you and I share a belief in what waits for you after this life and everything will be OK, but I pray for peace and comfort you in the remainder of your journey.

You have helped many people on the Forum and been a kind and gracious presence here. I know you have been that as well in other parts of your life.

Thank you for what you've done and who you've been.

Last edited by Rondec; 06-25-2022 at 03:37 AM.
06-25-2022, 03:11 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well this is certainly not the thread I wished to read...

I so strongly hope that, at the very least, the last stretch of the journey is as painless and peaceful as possible.
06-25-2022, 06:11 AM - 5 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve,

This is heartbreaking to read. However, we should double our efforts in praying for you, your family and those around you for comfort and peace. May you be surrounded and filled with love regardless of time.
Heartbreaking indeed.

Thanks,
Ismael
06-25-2022, 06:25 AM - 5 Likes   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I can add very little to what those who have posted before me except you made a difference here and I am sure elsewhere as well

best wishes for you and yours
06-25-2022, 06:32 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dear Steve,

I struggle to find words to express my sadness on reading this thread. Your wisdom, and your generosity with it, has always been a decoration to these Forums. Your legacy will last.

Fond regards, Sandy
06-25-2022, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Closed Account

I'm sorry to read this. I haven't been here so long compared to others but on any forum you quickly identify posters worth reading, you are one of those. I wish you and your family well.
06-25-2022, 06:52 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Steve,

Your presence and contribution in our community has been the standard by which all others here can work to achieve. You will leave a legacy that not many will come close to creating.

Following the sentiment of the others, all I can do is thank you for your choice to be a part of all that is Pentax Forums, and all that you have done for our community.

May your remaining time be as free from discomfort as possible, and when the moment comes, may it be peaceful.

Farewell my friend, you will be missed.
Racer
06-25-2022, 07:11 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m so sad to hear this. You’re going to be sorely missed. I hope your remaining Time is filled with the things you enjoy.
06-25-2022, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As expressed above, all of our thoughts are with you and your family now, and we thank you for your contributions so far and those still to come. If I am the winning bid on any of your gear sold here, know that every time it is used it will be used with thoughts of who owned it before.