Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2022, 06:02 PM - 6 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Steve was and is a special human being. I was blessed to have been able to spend some quility time with him on the phone, through text, through email. In the past few years and months we spoke more about theoolgy and scripture than we did photography. We were able to pray togther and for each other. While my heart breaks that the intimacy we shared will be no longer, I know with out doubt that we will see each other again one day. Right now he is enjoyng fellowship with the Lord and in his perfect body, in perfect spirit, in perfect peace. Well done my brother as his earthly journey has come to and end and now his eternal life begins.

Blessings to you all you reading this, and those who knew Steve, know what I am speaking of.
Javier

07-10-2022, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rest in Peace Steve
07-11-2022, 03:12 AM - 11 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel a lot of grief right now. Steve was a wonderful, kind, and giving soul who left all of the right impressions on the new photographers and older gear heads alike. We will miss him so much here on the Forum. I am glad that he is at peace now, but I still feel the loss greatly.

I had shared this in a different thread, but this quote of John Donne really feels appropriate.

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.”

PF is greater because Steve gave of himself here. PF is less because Steve is no longer here. Let us, the living, try to continue in the same tone that he did.
07-11-2022, 04:49 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is sad news indeed.

But I am pleased to see the large number of supportive comments here by people who interacted with Steve on this forum. There's nothing like real human interaction but sometimes humanity slips through the cracks and into this virtual world. PF is a special place.

07-11-2022, 05:08 AM - 14 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We all knew it was coming, but I too am deeply saddened by this news.
Not for Steve though, because the last few years of intolerable suffering are now over. The inability to get enough breath is one of the most primal of fears. That he endured it so bravely and for so long is a testament to his character.
But I'm sad for us: the Pentax Forums community, which has benefited from his wisdom, grace and humility for many years. We are all richer for the time he spent with us, and poorer for his departure.
And, of course, my heart goes out to his loved ones. I am certain they are many.
07-11-2022, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, I'm so sad to hear this. Steve was a gem, and I learned much from him - he solved problems for me, was a coach, and just such a brilliant and decent guy. He helped me raise my game in medium format and studio/strobe photography.

My condolences to his family - we will remember him.
07-11-2022, 11:34 AM   #37

I haven't been active on PF for a while now but am very sad to see this news. Steve was a great member and I valued his input. Rest in peace.

07-12-2022, 07:07 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I'm very sad to read this. Steve's message in his thread reporting he had moved his thoughts to palliative care was only posted on the 25th of last month - from what he said I had the impression that he expected to be around for more than a further week.

RIP
07-12-2022, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

RIP Steve! Your knowledge and advice about photography helped us all and will be missed.
07-12-2022, 07:54 AM - 4 Likes   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
This is truly sad news. RIP, dear Steve.

Over many years, Steve contributed a lot to these Forums. I keep coming back to one of his posts and thoughts of several years ago, which I've found to be profoundly compelling: The Person on the Other Side of the Wire - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
This post should be a Sticky; to remind all of us when reading/replying to posts; to use compassion as we don't know what's behind the keyboard of others.
07-12-2022, 08:49 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RIP Steve.

You may be gone, but you won't be forgotten....

Phil.
07-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm very sad to read this. Steve's message in his thread reporting he had moved his thoughts to palliative care was only posted on the 25th of last month - from what he said I had the impression that he expected to be around for more than a further week.

RIP
Of course, he may have expected more time himself, Medical science is inexact. The doctor gave my Mother “two or three more days”, and I continually received texts from my siblings as my brother raced from New Mexico and my sister from Virginia. Everyone did arrive in time to say “Good Bye” to her drugged self. She did die in something like 2 days and 20 hours after that diagnosis ….. but nobody assumed that she would last that long, that was the reason for the texts {“is she still alive - should we continue rushing?”}

Last edited by reh321; 07-12-2022 at 01:31 PM.
07-12-2022, 02:27 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

RIP
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of course, he may have expected more time himself, Medical science is inexact. The doctor gave my Mother “two or three more days”, and I continually received texts from my siblings as my brother raced from New Mexico and my sister from Virginia. Everyone did arrive in time to say “Good Bye” to her drugged self. She did die in something like 2 days and 20 hours after that diagnosis ….. but nobody assumed that she would last that long, that was the reason for the texts {“is she still alive - should we continue rushing?”}
In my Mother's case, a Nurse's Aid had noticed a strange bulge in my Mother's abdomen while providing routine care. By the time I got to the Nursing Home, my Mother had been to the hospital for an ultra-sound. The doctor gave me the news quietly in my Mother's room, but we don't know what she (over-)heard, and the staff decided to say nothing to her directly. By the time I talked to the doctor, he had already called the local Hospice organization, which could begin palliative care on Monday, so he {the doctor} called a Hospice up in Michigan {a dozen miles away}, which had morphine in her within a few hours. She died Saturday morning. Of course I don't know when her body was cremated, but that could have been done before the local Hospice had planned to show up.

We understand now why Steve was no longer a candidate for a transplant. A compassionate doctor may have told him as little as possible, and posting here may have been one of his last actions before he was hit by morphine.

Last edited by reh321; 07-12-2022 at 02:54 PM.
07-13-2022, 12:53 PM - 4 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The news of his passing made me tear up, even though I didn't know him well and he had already prepared us for what was about to come in a manner I hope to be able to adopt when my time comes. Nevertheless it came so suddenly. My condolences go out to his family and friends and everyone here at PF who lost a knowledgable, helpful and kind person.

It seems like he stood exactly for what I became a member of PF for in the first place, and why I stayed and like to spend time here. I feel like I can get a most valuable life lesson out of this, being aware of my own mortality and not being able to connect well with strangers, the last of which and my general outlook on life I should probably change to make everyone's journey on earth more worthwhile. I will remember you, Steve.
07-14-2022, 03:41 AM - 8 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's never pleasant to learn of someone's death, but in a virtual community such as ours, it is better to know of the loss of a forum member than to wonder of their state.

To borrow a phrase from another context, we should not mourn that such a man died, we should be thankful that such a man lived and shared his time and talent with us on this forum.