Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2022, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting perspectives.

In my small world, I haven't noticed much change in the forums that I visit. I don't participate in, or consult, typical 'social media' feeds, but generally appreciate forum-styled sites.

I don't think that forums are convenient when using small devices such as smartphones. For example, if I wish to craft a thoughtful post, I'll spend time to draft it in a simple text editor on my desktop PC, then copy into my post. As for viewing images, I most certainly prefer seeing them on a large screen.

Certainly, Pentax Forums nurtures comprehensive answers and contributions, thoughtful discussions, effective problem-solving and troubleshooting, as well as insights into life beyond the regular subject matter, and entertainment. It also serves as a unique record and repository of useful information.

I consult other forums for information and guidance -- e.g., home maintenance DIY projects, automobile issues. Generally, they're very good, despite the occasional bit of mis-information.

For certain types of subject matter, YouTube videos are better than 'static' forum threads. For example, I have found several home renovation DIY channels that are very good at demonstrating techniques. But many long-ish 'talking head' YT videos could be replaced easily by a 5-minute written piece.

Another place I visit for photography-related stuff is DPReview -- their 'talk' forums. However, I find these often to be ephemeral or shallow.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-14-2022 at 04:53 PM.
07-14-2022, 05:50 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, for the link. It's hilarious - the usual made up/guessed 'facts' mixed in with stats spat out by some algorithm.

Adam must be pleased to know that Pentax Forums has between 11 and fifty employees, its headquarters in Japan, and revenue of between five and ten million dollars.

Last edited by clackers; 07-14-2022 at 06:16 PM.
07-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"As for myself on PF, I don't log out for months on end (is there any reason to?) so I am "always" here on at least one tab of my browser, so does that count as one visit, or an infinite number ?"

The only time I "log off", is when Windows decides to update, and knocks me off the sites I visit.
07-15-2022, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks, for the link. It's hilarious - .....Adam must be pleased to know that Pentax Forums has between 11 and fifty employees, its headquarters in Japan, and revenue of between five and ten million dollars.
He's been keeping a lot from us . Moreover, it seems that the second biggest "category" (sub-forum?) on PF is "Bank Credit and Lending" (the result of all that GAS?) and "Shopping" is a bigger topic than "Cameras". There must be some large areas of PF that I've never noticed.

It's typical marketing BS. Marketing companies are selling this nonsense to each other all the time, for silly amounts of money, and call it an industry.

07-15-2022, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks, for the link. It's hilarious - the usual made up/guessed 'facts' mixed in with stats spat out by some algorithm.

Adam must be pleased to know that Pentax Forums has between 11 and fifty employees, its headquarters in Japan, and revenue of between five and ten million dollars.
I got to admit I didn't read that one too deeply, just glanced at a few cursory stats. I was looking for demographic information mainly, as my impression is it's mainly us more mature members who post most in forums these days, however, I'm not sure we can read anything into that particular chart on that particular site.

I'm glad it's amused a few of you though
07-15-2022, 02:49 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think Forums are for people who desire community around a particular brand or hobby. I just wonder if many people don't really want or need that sort of community today. Even here on PF, people will show up and ask a question and then vanish. They don't really need what we offer, other than some brief help on why their camera rattles when they shake it or some such thing.

I don't think Fora will go away completely, but social media will be much bigger because that is more shallow and more affirming of people with minimal effort.
07-15-2022, 08:40 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must be a freak. I use my phone to do 90-95% of my forum browsing, reading, and posting. I use two browsers with one set to desktop mode to be able to use some features. I prefer the laptop for certain tasks but reading and basic posting is easy on some forums like this one with a phone. Some are clunkier. I even type complex quoted posts on my phone - but a laptop is faster.

07-15-2022, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Forums are for people who desire community around a particular brand or hobby. I just wonder if many people don't really want or need that sort of community today. Even here on PF, people will show up and ask a question and then vanish. They don't really need what we offer, other than some brief help on why their camera rattles when they shake it or some such thing.

I don't think Fora will go away completely, but social media will be much bigger because that is more shallow and more affirming of people with minimal effort.
That was how I came to this forum....several aholes berated me for asking what seemed to be a valid question...but several more users took the time to explain and encourage.
Which is why I am still here...

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2022 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I must be a freak. I use my phone to do 90-95% of my forum browsing, reading, and posting. I use two browsers with one set to desktop mode to be able to use some features. I prefer the laptop for certain tasks but reading and basic posting is easy on some forums like this one with a phone. Some are clunkier. I even type complex quoted posts on my phone - but a laptop is faster.
I have a Samsung Bluetooth keyboard I keep for anytime I need to type long and complex things on the 'phone.
Otherwise I much prefer the trad 'screen and 'board'

Last edited by bobD; 07-15-2022 at 11:24 PM.
07-16-2022, 05:46 AM   #24
Unregistered User

One problem with narrowly focused forums is that they run out of new information. Pentax Forums has a broader approach reflecting the versatility of Pentax cameras and especially the vintage lenses which are in demand across many camera platforms. Steve Hoffman Music Forums is another good forum—lots of information about music, performers, gear, movies and TV and off-topic sections, and the Moderators are very good in keeping the trolls at bay.

I agree with people who don't like the mobile experience. Even ignoring the typing issues it just doesn't work very well, many "mobile site versions" are really bad.
07-16-2022, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the rise of the 24 hour news cycle, personal computers, The Internet,
The Web and now smartphones, our attention spans have surely diminished.

Can it go any lower? I'll bet it can; just you wait and see...

Chris
07-17-2022, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some thoughts :
  • Internet has grown and there is more and more competing information , user base gets increasingly fragmented... there are multiple pentax fora if you speak a few languages or translate, there is Wikipedia and YouTube, repairsites, let’s not forget ricoh (jp, usa,...), dp review, pcmag, lens info databases, review and shopping sites ... endless.
  • More information is not always quality info... hence the whole discussion on fake news etc... Internet info seems to become less authoritative lately....or at least harder to evaluate.

• I prefer 10” tablet or laptops for Internet browsing, and small pocketable phones for phoning on the road. And I dislike phablets of 6..8” which are too small for reading/browsing and too big for phoning and my pockets.
07-17-2022, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
interesting.....

I agree with you on interaction with forums - for me, it's more difficult on a mobile device (phone or tablet for me), primarily because typing on a keypad with no tactile response is awful - I follow PF throughout the day, but tend to do most of my true interaction while sitting in front of a full-size monitor and a genuine keyboard....
^^^^^^this^^^^^^

I do most of my forum interaction on my cell phone. Pretty much the only I have my computer on is when I’m editing photos, in which case I’m not looking at forums or anything else.
I suspect I’m not an unusual case this way. Forums like this were designed to be interacted with via a laptop at minimum, and my experience is they don’t play really well with phone screens.
If the posts are concise and to the point it’s ok, but if a post tries to cover too much ground, of is just too wordy, a phone screen is not conducive to interacting with it.
It’s something people who post from computers need to keep in mind. There’s no rules regarding posting length, but if you want to be read and responded to, brevity is your friend.
07-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
^^^^^^this^^^^^^

I do most of my forum interaction on my cell phone. Pretty much the only I have my computer on is when I’m editing photos, in which case I’m not looking at forums or anything else.
I suspect I’m not an unusual case this way. Forums like this were designed to be interacted with via a laptop at minimum, and my experience is they don’t play really well with phone screens.
If the posts are concise and to the point it’s ok, but if a post tries to cover too much ground, of is just too wordy, a phone screen is not conducive to interacting with it.
It’s something people who post from computers need to keep in mind. There’s no rules regarding posting length, but if you want to be read and responded to, brevity is your friend.

aside from brevity - when did we lose the idea of a 'paragraph'?
07-17-2022, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm pretty much the same, using my laptop primarily for photo editing and the phone for forum browsing. It's definitely much slower and more irritating to compose messages on the phone, but since I don't post a lot it tends to happen on the phone. Are you using the mobile skin for your forum browsing? I find it to be very comfortable to use except for the advertisements.
07-17-2022, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
aside from brevity - when did we lose the idea of a 'paragraph'?
I'm pretty bad at indentation, but I try to at least hit return before starting a new paragraph.