Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Why does it take sooooo long for the USA to change govt? We had an election the week after that one, elected a new govt., and had it in power a week later!

Is there a logical reason behind it? I'm curious.
Good question Arpe. I wish it didn't take so long either, since it means there is an extended period of "lame-duckness" on the part of the outgoing administration and "wheel spinning" on the part of the incoming administration.

Face it though, and no offense intended by this, but the US government is orders of magnitude more complex than the government of New Zealand in sheer size alone if nothing else.

12-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For anyone that is planning to attend, have you seen the list of prohibited items. No strollers, not backpacks, no umbrellas, yada, yada. I guess you will have to take only your camera and whatever lens (lenses?) you can put in your pockets. This just gets more and more crazy.
12-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no backpacks? i wonder if they would allow a non-packpack camera bag? Wow. Crazy. So I guess you can't bring your own food either. I may have to rethink wanting to go. I need to have snacks with me.
12-23-2008, 05:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Here is 1 list I saw.

Prohibited Items
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:

Firearms and ammunition (either real or simulated)
Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
Knives, blades, or sharp objects (of any length)
Mace and/or pepper spray
Sticks or poles
Pockets or hand tools, such as “Leatherman”
Packages
Backpacks
Large bags
Duffel bags
Suitcases
Thermoses
Coolers
Strollers
Umbrellas
Laser pointers
Signs
Posters
Animals (other than service animals)
Alcoholic beverages
Other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners

12-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Under the stage and on the stage.

<disclaimer>I actually meant that</disclaimer>
Yah, considering that freak Rick Warren will give the invocation, they'll need a line of dumptrucks to haul of the stuff away as fast as he spews it.
12-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I heard on the radio today that they are planning to bring in 5,000 portapotties for the inauguration in Washington DC on January 20. I've heard estimates of the expected crowd as high as 4 million, other estimates were lower. I don't think it will be enough portapotties.
Shouldn't be a problem if you have someone like Kenny to sort it out - just read the one liners on the Kenny site! Have you folk seen the movie? Best laugh I had in ages, and the other day we had our septic pumped out by a bloke just like him!

Enjoy your inaugration!

And a very Happy Christmas to all!
12-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I have sent an e-mail to the U.S. Capitol Police for clarification on both "backpacks & large bags" (does that include average camera bags) and "sticks and poles" (tripods or monopods). I also asked what gear carrying options are permissible if we cannot carry via camera bag/backpack and for clarification on exactly where the prohibitions will be enforced.

There is nothing about food listed on the USCP Press Release so bottled drinks and snacks should be fine. It's funny that they list coolers, since that's the last thing anyone will need. The food vendors are going to make a fortune though since with "thermal containers" being forbidden you can't take anything warm to drink.

12-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Why does it take sooooo long for the USA to change govt? We had an election the week after that one, elected a new govt., and had it in power a week later!

Is there a logical reason behind it? I'm curious.
It's a historical artifact from when communications was by horse and sailing ship. They had to build in time to get the votes counted in each state, the electoral college to assemble, and get everyone to the the capitol. It took a long while in the past.
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

No replies from the U.S. Capitol Police but as none of us have tickets their list is probably a moot point anyway.

The Secret Services Inaugural website makes the following statement:

QuoteQuote:
Security Screenings: All attendees are subject to a thorough security screening before entering the Inaugural parade route, the White House reviewing stand or the Inaugural balls. Please allow for additional time for this security screening, as it is expected that lines may be long.
Prohibited Items: As a security precaution, the following items will be prohibited from Inaugural parade route, the White House reviewing stand or the Inaugural balls: firearms, ammunition, explosives, weapons of any kind, aerosols, supports for signs and placards, packages, coolers, thermal or glass containers, backpacks, bags exceeding size restrictions (8"x6"x4"), laser pointers, animals other than helper/guide dogs, structures, bicycles and any other items determined to be a potential safety hazard. With respect to signs and placards, items should be made of cardboard, poster board or cloth and have dimensions no greater than three (3) feet in width, 20 feet in length and one-quarter (1/4) inch in thickness. Surrendered items will not be returned, nor available for pick-up.
So far I have not found any descriptions of security procedures, if any, on the public area of The Mall. The National Park Service Inaugural website is very sketchy at this point.

The National Park Police are mum on the issue...

Details as I dig them up...
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
Banned

I wonder what the secret service will deem as prohibited 'structures'.
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I wonder what the secret service will deem as prohibited 'structures'.
Seige Towers, unlicensed port-a-johns, tree forts, etc...
01-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #27
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was on the Washington post website (washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines), linked to from their page on Inauguration stuff

Unlike at the Capitol or on the parade route, backpacks, chairs and strollers will be permitted on the Mall, he said. People can also take food and coolers there. But authorities are discouraging people from bringing many items on Metrorail because trains will be jammed.
01-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Seige Towers, unlicensed port-a-johns, tree forts, etc...
I like the way you think!
01-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
This was on the Washington post website (washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines), linked to from their page on Inauguration stuff

Unlike at the Capitol or on the parade route, backpacks, chairs and strollers will be permitted on the Mall, he said. People can also take food and coolers there. But authorities are discouraging people from bringing many items on Metrorail because trains will be jammed.
Interesting that they plan to close all the bridges heading into the District. I'll be looking for you and Mike as I sit fat, dumb, and happy (but also "pictureless"), in my easy chair at home.
01-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #30

just fyi for those interested, 5,000 tickets go on sale for the bleacher seats at 1pm today on ticketmaster. hope you have a fast internet connection!

would be an interesting vantage for pictures, though I might be too short to take advantage of it.