Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All 5000 tickets sold within a matter of minutes...

01-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
All 5000 tickets sold within a matter of minutes...
no surprise there. Obama is a superstar after all, that just happens to be our next President.
01-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #33

I would say it sold out in seconds. anyone want to split a box of handwarmers from costco?
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
no surprise there. Obama is a superstar after all, that just happens to be our next President.
I don't really expect to get anywhere near catching him in a photo. heck, even if Mel & I find a front spot for the parade route, he will probably stay in his limo and all we'll get is a photo of his car. LOL No, this is really just an excellent opportunity to beef up the "photo-journalism" portion of my portfolio.

01-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Why does it take sooooo long for the USA to change govt? We had an election the week after that one, elected a new govt., and had it in power a week later!

Is there a logical reason behind it? I'm curious.
It has to do with the transition of information from one administration to the other. I think the U.S. is a little larger than New Zealand. For example, California is larger than England and Texas is larger than France. It doesn't take long for other officials to take office such as Senators and Represenatives assuming there wasn't issues with the election as in Minnesota, Illinois, New York and Georgia. Georgia did hold a run-off election and solve the problem expediently.
01-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #36

I don't really expect to get anywhere near catching him in a photo. heck, even if Mel & I find a front spot for the parade route, he will probably stay in his limo and all we'll get is a photo of his car. LOL No, this is really just an excellent opportunity to beef up the "photo-journalism" portion of my portfolio.
I'm actually more interested in photographing the throngs of people all over dc.

should make for an interesting mix of onlookers, I'm kind of excited to see all their reactions to only seeing the outside of a half million dollar caddy.

car should be cool
Cars: Inside the Rocket-Proof Obamamobile
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
I'm actually more interested in photographing the throngs of people all over dc.

should make for an interesting mix of onlookers, I'm kind of excited to see all their reactions to only seeing the outside of a half million dollar caddy.

car should be cool
'Obamamobile'

it actually has bottles of blood for an emergency transfusion? woa.

01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #38
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote

car should be cool
So Southy you're going to be there? Should we all try to meet up so there can be a herd of Pentaxians hanging together for solidarity? Will cell phones even function in the midst of all those people? And network usage?
01-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Factoid Update...

I just got off of the phone with Sgt. Robert Lachance, of the U.S. Park Police, Public Information Office who verified that tripods, monopods, camera bags, etc are fine on the public areas of the National Mall.

Still trying to get an answer from the Secret Service about monopods on the parade route. We already know camera packpacks are "verbotten" over there so we'll need to pocket or vest carry most things.

p.s. they've already said that cell phone voice service will be spotty. text messaging will be much more reliable.

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.
01-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #40

I am still deciding if I want a higher vantage point or try to get a spot in the front row of the parade route. I'm not tall enough to get enough standoff from people's faces if it is crowded. Are you all going telephoto or wide angle?
01-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't wait to see pictures from you guys. Good luck.
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You guys/gal are going to freeze your tu-tu off.
01-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Southy, very unlikely that there will be any "higher vantage points". Doubtfull that the security guys will allow anyone to stand on building steps or the like so your only hope is to crawl under everyone to get to the front line... Oh, I will have my 16-45, the 28-75 and the 50-500 (BIGMA) and will be shooting both my K10D and my K110D. I'm also considering renting a 10-17 fisheye.

Thanks Pat. I hope we bring home some keepers.

That is very likely Tom! Only in my case it's more like a four-four... LOL

p.s. Mel, If you have one you may want to bring some model releases along. If you don't have one let me know and I will send you mine for you to customize.
01-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
You guys/gal are going to freeze your tu-tu off.
If it snows, let it rip!
01-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #45
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Southy, very unlikely that there will be any "higher vantage points". Doubtfull that the security guys will allow anyone to stand on building steps or the like so your only hope is to crawl under everyone to get to the front line... Oh, I will have my 16-45, the 28-75 and the 50-500 (BIGMA) and will be shooting both my K10D and my K110D. I'm also considering renting a 10-17 fisheye.

Thanks Pat. I hope we bring home some keepers.

That is very likely Tom! Only in my case it's more like a four-four... LOL

p.s. Mel, If you have one you may want to bring some model releases along. If you don't have one let me know and I will send you mine for you to customize.
Yes please send yours for customizing. Cuz you know, I'll be making hoards and hoards of money off the crap I'll be shooting. Lol. But yes, send me one just in case.

Tom - the temperature forecast is for a high of 39f. Not too bad but not exactly tu-tu weather you know. I'm planning my layers already.

As for lenses, I'm bringing my cheap 70-300, my cheap 18-55, my lensbaby (because I know how much Mike likes using the thing, ), and hopefully a couple takumars for quality. Then I'll be using whatever quality lenses Mike has that's not attched to one of his cameras at any given moment

I managed to find a bag the fits the size limitations and I can squeeze my big zoom and a couple small taks in it. I'm rather smallish and smallish people have smallish clothes that have smallish pockets. So Southy, I'm with you, I'll be getting lots o shots of the middle of people's backs.

I'm getting a bit excited for this. It's going to be fun.