Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 122 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2022, 05:33 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
There were some lovely British frames around in the sixties - do Mercian, Condor, Bates and especially Hetchins ring any bells with anyone ? I also fancied one of the Kirk Precision magnesium road frames.
What about Humber? They had unique front forks with dual tubes on each side. I had one in the 70’s. It was old even then

10-06-2022, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rode some in the mid 80s and 90s on a Motobecane Grand Touring bike and became serious in the early 2000s when I acquired a lugged steel Waterford 2200. Several years later, I transitioned to a Campy Record equipped Lynskey R320. Shortly after, I joined the dark side when I purchased a Fort Ro Uno that I set up as a fixed gear. Being a former competitive runner, I found my dream in fixed riding. I rode 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year until 2021, when my wife experienced a serious spinal issue. I probably rode 10 times in 2021 and once in 2022 since I assumed a caregiver role. Do I miss riding? You bet I do.

I still have my three steeds. Hoping I can get back on a bike sometime in the future. In the meantime, I have great memories.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by onlineflyer; 10-06-2022 at 04:32 PM.
10-06-2022, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I rode some in the mid 80s and 90s on a Motobecane Grand Touring bike and became serious in the early 2000s when I acquired a lugged steel Waterford 2200. Several years later, I transitioned to a Campy Record equipped Lynskey R320. Shortly after, I joined the dark side when I purchased a Fort Ro Uno that I set up as a fixed gear. Being a former competitive runner, I found my dream in fixed riding. I rode 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year until 2021, when my wife experienced a serious spinal issue. I probably rode 10 times in 2021 and once in 2022 since I assumed a caretaker role. Do I miss riding? You bet I do.

I still have my three steeds. Hoping I can get back on a bike sometime in the future. In the meantime, I have great memories.
My Humber was set up with a fixed gear in one side and a coaster on the other. I never used the coaster. I had fun watching my friends try to ride the fixed gear. Most got thrown off.
10-06-2022, 09:57 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
And for such a custom build it looks like “just a bike”, which is maybe was intentional too?
Yes, and so far, it has worked for me. The Rohloff is however well known, my wife's has been stolen once from a completely inconspicuous-looking bike and her Patria frame vandalized in a failed attempt to force the Pitlock-secured hub out using an iron beam as a lever after cutting the spokes. But that's been two events in over 20 years of everyday use, so we're doing quite well in a city known to have one of the highest bicycle theft rates in Germany.

10-06-2022, 10:42 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Yes, and so far, it has worked for me. The Rohloff is however well known, my wife's has been stolen once from a completely inconspicuous-looking bike and her Patria frame vandalized in a failed attempt to force the Pitlock-secured hub out using an iron beam as a lever after cutting the spokes.
I have friends who have Rohloffs, and yes, with their quality and prices, unlike Shimano Nexus they're worth stealing!
10-07-2022, 02:56 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the process of winterising and converting my Fixie to freehub for commuting purposes. Awaiting a new freehub, tyres and a handy Carradice roll bag which can fit on either the saddle or handlebars. Pictures to follow once all is complete.
10-08-2022, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the parts now arrived, except for the freehub. So I put what I could together this morning and took this snap. The bike was handmade for me back in early 2005 by a chap called Steve Goff, based in Skelmersdale, UK. I believe he is still working, and he is/was very good value. You get a hand built frame for the price of an off the shelf one these days. This one was originally in British racing green, but I had it professionally resprayed by Argos of Bristol 6 years ago. I've always wanted a hot orange bike! The tubing is Reynolds 853 steel. Wheels are Open Pro 32 hole and tyres 25mm Continental 4 Season25. Chainset is a Stronglight and the gearing roughly 66". Around where I live you won't get up the hills (of which there are many!) on anything higher. The saddle is a Fzik Arione with titanium rails, though I tracked down an unused Brooks Swallow Ti, which when it arrives I will stick on the bike and break in over winter during my commutes. The pedals are Look mountain bike ones, which I have been using on a couple of my bikes for about ten years. I used to use Eggbeaters for many years, but unfortunately the bearings and seals in them these days seem pretty atrocious and don't last.

10-18-2022, 10:18 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adopting cycling in middle age has meant so much to me ... my interest in photography actually dates to when I decided to document some of my trips, which has included touring.

I've even written a poem about how I feel about the activity, if you'll forgive my indulgence:

10-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Not intended as an advert or suggestion to buy - just loved the evocative descriptions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373711842330?var=642751163565&hash=item5702f62c1a...Bk9SR8S4zZ2AYQ
10-27-2022, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one is from around 2006 or 7. If you look closely you will see my fixed in the background. Taken with a Ricoh GR1 and Fuji Sensia 100.

10-27-2022, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Adopting cycling in middle age has meant so much to me ... my interest in photography actually dates to when I decided to document some of my trips, which has included touring.

I've even written a poem about how I feel about the activity, if you'll forgive my indulgence:
Very well written Ian. Your rigid descent resonates with me. The older I get, the harder the tarseal!
10-29-2022, 02:25 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just for information, on one of my bikes (Kinesis Tk2) I needed to replace the wheels (Open Pros) due to wear, a couple of years ago. Seeing the direction of travel the industry was forcing customers*, I caved in and got tubeless ready wheels. What a frustrating experience! Initially using the existing clinchers and tubes they were slower and more uncomfortable than the old Open Pros. Tubeless tyres were acquired (25mm Hutchinsons) and a right royal battle ensued getting them to properly seal, eventually having to insert an extra rim tape. Speed was back to where I expect it to be but the comfort not so. Now the 25mm tyres have worn out I have replaced them with 28mm. Another battle. Tyres won't even grip the rims. A trip to the bike shop to get sorted out. Massively frustrating and also a small but very annoying expense. Anyway, yet another rim tape solved the issue and the bigger tyres have sorted the comfort issue out. Finally! So I guess the lessons to be learned, and all of us will probably have to go through this at some point, when you have to change to tubeless tech are:-
1. Be prepared for some initial frustration
2. Buy tyres one size larger than what you run with clinchers and tubes
*The buggers are at it again with disc breaks and through axles - great for touring and off road but pretty OTT for most of us most of the time on road (don't even get me started on electronic shifting!). I am looking to build up a classic style road bike with my various spare parts, and trying to find a suitable frame at a reasonable cost is almost impossible. Grrr!
10-29-2022, 03:52 AM - 3 Likes   #73
Closed Account

I've been riding bikes for over 40 years, with the odd lean year thrown in as jobs and kids took over. I've owned many bikes in that time, most of them cobbled together from other bikes. The Rotrax below was the first one I rebuilt properly after buying the frame off an old boy who was an ex-racer. The picture is of a 1993 tour of the Scottish Hebrides, in total about 700 miles and many ferries.

Sadly the frame died and in a hasty decision, which I still regret, I decided not to get it repaired.

Nowdays I have three bikes. My main miles are done on this Dawes Audax

My 'adventure' rides are done on this Kinesis FF29 which I built from the frame up

And nowdays I use my old Marin Bear valley as a tourer, although in truth I could also use the Dawes

I've recently bought myself a Wahoo kickr Snap as well, as I've realized that as i get older, consistency and some form of structure is becoming more important, gone are the days I could just pick the bike up and ride myself to fitness quickly!
10-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
The Rotrax below was the first one I rebuilt properly after buying the frame off an old boy who was an ex-racer. The picture is of a 1993 tour of the Scottish Hebrides, in total about 700 miles and many ferries.
I love the color coordination on your Rotrax! Are those the same bags on your Marin?
10-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #75
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I love the color coordination on your Rotrax! Are those the same bags on your Marin?
Yes, same bags, I've thought about replacing them over the years but somehow never got around to it and they are still in good condition.

I resprayed the Rotrax, I think the colour scheme was inspired by another bike but I can't remember which one now.