Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2022, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had out first club race of the season last night. I'm in pain.

09-27-2022, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
currently have a early 90's Japanese made Paramount
Paramount PDG, made by Panasonic? I used to have one of those. Not fancy, but still a very good bike, with 105 components and oversize-tubing Tange steel frame. I enjoyed riding it, and put enough miles on it to wear through a set of Gatorskin tires (about 5,000 miles). I think I got rid of it because of the color, or, rather, the lack of it. It had that funny splatter paint scheme that was popular at the time, which I would have liked if it stood out, but it was just white and grey. Call me shallow, but I didn't like looking at it.

09-27-2022, 07:00 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Paramount PDG, made by Panasonic? I used to have one of those. Not fancy, but still a very good bike, with 105 components and oversize-tubing Tange steel frame. I enjoyed riding it, and put enough miles on it to wear through a set of Gatorskin tires (about 5,000 miles). I think I got rid of it because of the color, or, rather, the lack of it. It had that funny splatter paint scheme that was popular at the time, which I would have liked if it stood out, but it was just white and grey. Call me shallow, but I didn't like looking at it.
Some of the PDG bikes were made by Waterford Bikes. in the US. Those are the sought after ones. The numbered PDG (2,3,5,7) were made py Panasonics. They were the OS bikes (Oversized Steel). I jave a near mint 7 hanging up in the garage.
09-27-2022, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Had out first club race of the season last night. I'm in pain.
Haha, I'm suffering after a normal ride lately. The only sort of shape I'm in at the moment is round

10-02-2022, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Was heavily into biking until a few years ago.
I was at one time, then I bought a bicycle shop. Being the owner and sole employee for nearly 20 years killed the enthusiasm.
10-02-2022, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

I rode my bicycles an awful lot, when I was younger...about age 6 to 15. I had two. First one was an English made Glider....quite a well built, refined bicycle. Only single speed. This was the '50's and '60's....no mountain bikes or racing style bikes readily available, that I ever encountered, back then

Then I outgrew the Glider and my parents bought me a Sears, J.C. Higgins, again a plain single speed. I rode that bicycle everywhere, many days put miles and miles on it. I rode a lot.

I did buy a racer style (not sure of the nomenclature) when I was 30 years old. Oversized frame (I'm 6'3") 9 speed. It was fine, but I prefer the sit up and beg posture, as opposed to the bent over racing style that this bike was set up.
10-02-2022, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #52
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I did buy a racer style (not sure of the nomenclature) when I was 30 years old. Oversized frame (I'm 6'3") 9 speed. It was fine, but I prefer the sit up and beg posture, as opposed to the bent over racing style that this bike was set up.
There are two riding positions that are comfortable. The most comfortable, and least efficient, is sitting upright. The second most comfortable, and most efficient, is the upper body being nearly prone. Anything in between can be miserable.

10-02-2022, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

Let's start the whole flat handle bar v drop handle bar debate,that's always good to set the cat amongst the pigeons in the cycling fraternity!
10-02-2022, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #54
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Let's start the whole flat handle bar v drop handle bar debate,that's always good to set the cat amongst the pigeons in the cycling fraternity!
There's no debate at all. North Road and Mustache bars beat both of them.
10-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Didn't Greg LeMond have some bizarre bars a few years ago ?
10-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think ape-hangers, banana seats and sissy bars are ripe for a comeback
10-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There are two riding positions that are comfortable. The most comfortable, and least efficient, is sitting upright. The second most comfortable, and most efficient, is the upper body being nearly prone. Anything in between can be miserable.
Another area of discomfort for me, but only with my racer look, bicycle was the seat. It was agony. I recall buying a gel seat cover to ease my pain.

When I was a young teenager, riding my traditional J.C. Higgins bicycle...seat comfort was never an issue...it was just comfortable. Must of been someting about that old 1950's bike seat on the JCH.
10-04-2022, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

I used to have a Flam Magenta frame (Holdsworth clone), with green handlebar tape and an orange Unica-Nitor saddle. I reckon it gave me a good half-minute advantage in time trials - people seemed distressed by the colour combination, for some reason. For comfort, I sewed closed-cell foam (non-absorbent, doesn't deform under pressure) between the shorts and the chamois leather.
10-04-2022, 05:15 PM - 6 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cyclist? Yes, definitely. Sports cyclist? Rarely. My 'main' bicycle may help to show what I mean. I should photograph my other bikes separately, adding a Brompton to @pinholecam's impressive list of folders. Not a Moulton, but somewhat fitting his exquisite list with titanium fork, rear triangle and rack for my photo bag . Some may have seen a recent picture of our tandem used for cargo recently.

When I needed a new bicycle about 12 years ago, I wanted a do-it-all steel bike with a classic look that wasn't too heavy, stable enough for use with a trailer and needed little maintenance in winter. Impossible to find, so it has been designed by me and the bike shop around internal gears and a custom frame, hand-built in Germany.

It wasn't complete at that time, I've added a proper saddle (Team Pro Special) and a full Chain enclosure by Nöll, quite a rarity. It may look a little 'boring' at first, but a lot of thoughts went into it. It is loosely based on the Helios cyclocross frame from Patria, but that's where the similarity ends.

The frame is made of Columbus Zona tubes. Compared to the series model Helios, the geometry has been altered quite a bit: classic horizontal top tube instead of a slanted design, a lug with wider spacing of the chain stays at the bottom bracket for "fatties" compatibility, custom angle of the seat tube to accommodate my body geometry that doesn't fit any manufacturer's sizing tables (legs too long or torso too short). Adjustable OEM2 dropouts for Rohloff internal gears (stock), with Pletscher stand compatibility. If the bike tips over heavily loaded, it's the replaceable dropout that bends, not the frame itself - adjusted back 2 times so far. Longer chain stays for better pannier clearance - more of a travel geometry. Weber Type-E hitch for adjustable dropouts. Fully equipped for (back then) German road code: front and rear light with reflectors, pedal reflectors, reflective rings on the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires (42mm). Hand-built wheels with DT Swiss rims and spokes on Rohloff and Schmidt SON dynamo hub - 'classic', providing full power at 10km/h already for the 80lux B&M front light with sensor. Cable to the rear light is going through the rack for optimum protection - safe from pannier hooks. Breaks are Avid SD7 - disks would have required a different frame and fork. The fork is 'Number 0' in the series, custom built first steel fork for a Patria Helios. For touring with a lot of stuff (camping, kids), the Tubus Cargo (26" model for a tighter fit) gets supplemented by Tubus low-riders in the front. Shifter cable routing along the top tube is also custom, shorter/tidier/less friction/doesn't freeze in winter compared to the usual routing below the bottom bracket.

Fenders are essential for me for everyday use, in whatever clothes I wear. The enclosed chain and internal gears really have made a difference, no maintenance in cold and dark evenings after the roads have been salted ... We ride studded tires as long as ice can be expected in the mornings.

We've been touring with our kids on bicycle and I e.g. remember a round trip through Denmark when our youngest was 3 years old. I was fully loaded with camping gear, food, water etc. and pulled the trailer with him and his bike on top and more stuff (like toys and 3 U-locks) in the cargo compartment - totaling about 175kg load on gears and brakes. At the same time, I don't own a sports bicycle and don't hesitate to join the after work rides of my field hockey club mates (~50km) occasionally. It's only when the sensor turns the lights on that the drag of the dynamo (not designed for more than 30km/h) makes keeping up a little harder ...
10-06-2022, 03:47 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Cyclist? Yes, definitely. Sports cyclist? Rarely. My 'main' bicycle may help to show what I mean. I should photograph my other bikes separately, adding a Brompton to @pinholecam's impressive list of folders. Not a Moulton, but somewhat fitting his exquisite list with titanium fork, rear triangle and rack for my photo bag . Some may have seen a recent picture of our tandem used for cargo recently.

When I needed a new bicycle about 12 years ago, I wanted a do-it-all steel bike with a classic look that wasn't too heavy, stable enough for use with a trailer and needed little maintenance in winter. Impossible to find, so it has been designed by me and the bike shop around internal gears and a custom frame, hand-built in Germany.

It wasn't complete at that time, I've added a proper saddle (Team Pro Special) and a full Chain enclosure by Nöll, quite a rarity. It may look a little 'boring' at first, but a lot of thoughts went into it. It is loosely based on the Helios cyclocross frame from Patria, but that's where the similarity ends.

The frame is made of Columbus Zona tubes. Compared to the series model Helios, the geometry has been altered quite a bit: classic horizontal top tube instead of a slanted design, a lug with wider spacing of the chain stays at the bottom bracket for "fatties" compatibility, custom angle of the seat tube to accommodate my body geometry that doesn't fit any manufacturer's sizing tables (legs too long or torso too short). Adjustable OEM2 dropouts for Rohloff internal gears (stock), with Pletscher stand compatibility. If the bike tips over heavily loaded, it's the replaceable dropout that bends, not the frame itself - adjusted back 2 times so far. Longer chain stays for better pannier clearance - more of a travel geometry. Weber Type-E hitch for adjustable dropouts. Fully equipped for (back then) German road code: front and rear light with reflectors, pedal reflectors, reflective rings on the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires (42mm). Hand-built wheels with DT Swiss rims and spokes on Rohloff and Schmidt SON dynamo hub - 'classic', providing full power at 10km/h already for the 80lux B&M front light with sensor. Cable to the rear light is going through the rack for optimum protection - safe from pannier hooks. Breaks are Avid SD7 - disks would have required a different frame and fork. The fork is 'Number 0' in the series, custom built first steel fork for a Patria Helios. For touring with a lot of stuff (camping, kids), the Tubus Cargo (26" model for a tighter fit) gets supplemented by Tubus low-riders in the front. Shifter cable routing along the top tube is also custom, shorter/tidier/less friction/doesn't freeze in winter compared to the usual routing below the bottom bracket.

Fenders are essential for me for everyday use, in whatever clothes I wear. The enclosed chain and internal gears really have made a difference, no maintenance in cold and dark evenings after the roads have been salted ... We ride studded tires as long as ice can be expected in the mornings.

We've been touring with our kids on bicycle and I e.g. remember a round trip through Denmark when our youngest was 3 years old. I was fully loaded with camping gear, food, water etc. and pulled the trailer with him and his bike on top and more stuff (like toys and 3 U-locks) in the cargo compartment - totaling about 175kg load on gears and brakes. At the same time, I don't own a sports bicycle and don't hesitate to join the after work rides of my field hockey club mates (~50km) occasionally. It's only when the sensor turns the lights on that the drag of the dynamo (not designed for more than 30km/h) makes keeping up a little harder ...
Nice! And for such a custom build it looks like “just a bike”, which is maybe was intentional too? I try to never own that “target thing” that’s going to be stolen either (camera and laptop aside)