Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 122 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2022, 10:27 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Any cyclists on the forums?

At 68 years old I'm not very fast but I love my 1980s vintage Japanese bicycles here are a couple of my favorite.
!986 Panasonic DX 5000 and a 1989 Centurion Ironman.

08-29-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice - I have a slightly younger Carrera, but currently health and mobility issues mean that it languishes in the wardrobe in my spare room. Being only 71, however, I have hopes in resurrecting it sometime. Nice to see you are still using toeclips - I tried the 'Look' type pedals, but couldn't twist my ankles enough to release my foot from the pedal ! Also proper Q/R hubs - not these namby-pamby Allen key safety ones.

Happy riding

Tony
08-29-2022, 01:24 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi I've done quite a bit of cycling in the past,including a couple of 70 mile charity rides.Less so these days but I keep talking about getting out more.This is my main ride

08-29-2022, 05:11 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, from a few years ago, here's me making my way up Mount Buller here in Victoria on a steel cyclocross bike I also use for touring and camping - this is a 13% bend.

08-29-2022, 05:45 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My knees have gone south me in the last year and my Raleigh has been sitting idle. My newest addition is this electric. I know some cyclists don't like them but for me, it's getting my legs some exercise without the severe pain. This is a Lectric XP 2.0. I've mounted front and rear cargo baskets on it since this photo. Its been my errand ride around the village all summer.

08-29-2022, 07:11 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup, I'll share a few of my bicycle. The rider is not much to look at.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-29-2022, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yup, I'll share a few of my bicycle. The rider is not much to look at.
Ooh, Ultegra, you rich b*&^#^#&&!

105 and SRAM Rival for me, unfortunately!

08-30-2022, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

105 and SRAM Rival for me, unfortunately!
I wish Ian, I wish!
Don't knock 105 or SRAM Rival. Both are very good. Ultegra is very nice though. I've never been able to afford Dura-Ace / Di2!
I see Di2 is now wireless, self-centering and auto-correcting for offset and fine-tuning. (No mechanical high- and low stops) Very cunning. (And 12-speed!)
08-30-2022, 03:28 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Sir yes sir!

I recently crashed my previous bike (a Charge plug 2015, pictured below), but have swapped the components over to my new bike (Specialized Crux 2015... apparently 2015 was a good year?).

Next on my to-do list is to get some 33mm tyres and train a little towards potentially entering a cyclocross event in November...
08-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My knees have gone south me in the last year and my Raleigh has been sitting idle. My newest addition is this electric. I know some cyclists don't like them but for me, it's getting my legs some exercise without the severe pain. This is a Lectric XP 2.0. I've mounted front and rear cargo baskets on it since this photo. Its been my errand ride around the village all summer.
I got one of those last November on a Black Friday deal. Love it. I had a Panasonic bike in the 1980's and I like it a lot but my back simply does not like that riding position very much anymore. No problem getting on or off. Just standing up straight afterwards. Sold it and got a 12 speed street bike of some sort. Better on the back but now it mostly hangs from the rafters in the garage. I have actually toyed with the idea of converting it to an e-bike as a fun project.

Last November I realized that I had not had any really stupid purchases all year. I saw these, They went on sale with $250.00 in free accessories so I took the leap. My wife did not want one. It arrived, I set it up and took a spin. Then I got my wife to try it. She came back with a big grin on her face so I ordered a step through model for her. My wife has the the front basket on hers. I tried the rear basket on mine, but kept hitting it with my leg. Opted for the pannier bags instead.

They are a lot of fun and the more I ride it the better my balance is. Awesome on hills. I too run errands on mine. And once in awhile I just use the throttle and think fond thoughts of my 1972 Kawasaki S2 350. I got that bike new for $750 and the dealer threw in a Kawasaki Green winter jacket for free.
08-30-2022, 09:46 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You said it, I thought it! LOL
08-30-2022, 06:12 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Too many over the years

Always wanted to do cycle touring, but did not have the stamina, so started off with triathlons and its stuck with me since.
Even though I have stopped participating in events, I still maintain a swim, bike, run routine.
Tried out Audax, but found that I had no 'ego' to want to prove anything and limited time, money really means that I'd want to enjoy an overseas trip rather than riding past them ASAP.
Also the hassle of bike handling and care about what I eat before/after an even just makes it really troublesome.

So the perfect marriage to be the past few years has been cycling touring with photography.

Tyrell IVE in New Zealand (South Island)

Most used touring bike, really like this bike and regret selling it.

Raleigh MV8 with DIY paintjob and 451 conversion

My beater bike that I use for commute and after work riding as well as wet weather 'don't want to wash the bike' riding

Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Super Pro

Perhaps the best folding bike I have ridden (for speedy riding at least)

Custom Soul Pugatory Ti tribike

oldest bike in my stable. Ti is real and lasts for sure.

Alex Moulton TSR

A rolls royce of a bike, really stately feel to the ride. Planted, damped feel to the ride.

Crius Smart 3.0 (14" folder)

Now my son's bike.

Change Bike 650b (folding bike)

Wanted better roll over on trails and road irregularities than the 18" Tyrell IVE, so it converged to this bike.
MTB frame converted to gravel bike.
So far so good, after a few trips. I have a review of it on Bike Forums

Custom Element22 Ti bike

I still am amazed I designed this one.
A condensation of all that I want in a bike (speedy local riding, packability, lightweight, wide tire options, classic bike look )
Ritchey Break-away system allows the bike to be separated into two for packing.
7.8kg all in.
"Element22" is a pseudo brand I made up as the logo for the bike. (Titanium being element 22 on the periodic table )

All photos taken with Pentax cameras or Pentax lenses btw....
08-30-2022, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great post! Very interesting bikes. Thanks for posting!

I went and googled how that works: https://ritcheylogic.com/blog/ritchey-tech-talk-break-away-assembly
Very clever!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-30-2022 at 06:33 PM.
08-30-2022, 07:40 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Retired my old miyata triple-cross after 10k miles. Was slim pickings due to covid.
I like it alright after re-purposing the pedals from my old cycle.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
At 68 years old I'm not very fast but I love my 1980s vintage Japanese bicycles here are a couple of my favorite.
!986 Panasonic DX 5000 and a 1989 Centurion Ironman.

Very beautiful bikes.