Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2022, 02:59 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
There’s always distrowatch to help with this. Link is to their search tool which helpfully has Beginner as one of the search criteria. He reviews just about every distribution out there too.

https://distrowatch.com/search-mobile.php#advanced
Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking of. To try it, I just entered two qualifiers: Linux and Beginner. It brought up 12 distros, and Linux Mint was listed at the top of the list – both popularity and rating. I guess I got lucky with this, my second choice. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, today I attached my wi-fi printer and then printed from LibreOffice. The process was as easy and smooth as could be, and taking almost no time at all.

09-21-2022, 01:38 AM   #32
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
BTW, today I attached my wi-fi printer and then printed from LibreOffice. The process was as easy and smooth as could be, and taking almost no time at all.
So question from me to anyone out there who knows - is this wifi printer setup dependant on the Linux PC cups drivers or is the printer doing the work?
My Ubuntu doesn't do a good job with my Canon A3 printer (connected by cable). Is the wifi another option?
09-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
So question from me to anyone out there who knows - is this wifi printer setup dependant on the Linux PC cups drivers or is the printer doing the work?
My Ubuntu doesn't do a good job with my Canon A3 printer (connected by cable). Is the wifi another option?
Cable or wifi shouldn't matter. "doesn't do a god job" is a bit to vague to troubleshoot further. Many printers do have several drivers to choose from on Linux and the choice may affect the look of the prints. But equally so some of the drivers have settings to tune that may also affect the output.

You choose the driver whilst adding the printer. You can often add several instances of the same printer with different settings. What choices are exposed in the gui depend on what software you use to add the printer.
09-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #34
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
"doesn't do a god job" is a bit to vague to troubleshoot further.
Best defined as by utilising the windows drivers in a virtual xp guest on my Ubuntu host gives me the intended Canon interface.
Been a while since I have tried (2 years?) but the cups interface was usable for text but tended to bug things up when I went to the virtual for images.

09-25-2022, 01:03 PM   #35
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
BTW - HP has a utility, included in Ubuntu at least, which loads whatever is needed by their printers. With it, I don’t have to determine which printers are compatible with my version before purchasing the printer.
It looks like I need to try one of my Ubuntu builds to seeing how things have advanced over the last 5 years.
The current system of using a virtual xp as a printing app is quite an elegant solution. It opens as quickly as Gimp 2.10. So the direct linux drivers will need to be 100% for me to swap.
And that is for Canon printers.