Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2022, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a couple other threads came to mind as I was reading here...

Forum membership longevity - PentaxForums.com

Burnt out on photography? - PentaxForums.com

I think, overall, the forum-type of social interaction seems to be slipping any/everywhere...

I can see why, when I peruse my pages in Facebook and Instagram - they are all about instant-gratification, eye-stimulation, and less of a cerebral experience that you find here on PF and other forums...

PF members tend to be here for the interaction and sharing of ideas, the how's and why's of photography.. rather than the 'look at this!' mentality elsewhere...

just rambling along here....

(:
I think you're probably right to at least some degree. I am a member of a number of photography groups on FB, some brand-themed and some not. I almost always end up muting them so that I don't see posts but stay in the group. That's the case for some gear repair groups which I want to be in should I ever have the need (and time) for their help. Other than that, it's mostly people publishing their photos for all to see but they're usually not very good.

Instagram is different, I generally see much better quality there, especially from specific photographers whose output is consistently of good quality.

09-30-2022, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a couple other threads came to mind as I was reading here...

Forum membership longevity - PentaxForums.com

Burnt out on photography? - PentaxForums.com

I think, overall, the forum-type of social interaction seems to be slipping any/everywhere...

I can see why, when I peruse my pages in Facebook and Instagram - they are all about instant-gratification, eye-stimulation, and less of a cerebral experience that you find here on PF and other forums...

PF members tend to be here for the interaction and sharing of ideas, the how's and why's of photography.. rather than the 'look at this!' mentality elsewhere...

just rambling along here....

(:

Its really unfortunate that so much fruitful discussion and information that a forum has is now lost in FB posts that are so fleeting and don't turn up on in web searches.
On FB, I see people ask the same thing over and over again and its hard to even link people to old posts (or sometimes they don't have access because that link was from a close group )

Its really much of the older folks who still value the old way of interacting that stays on forums.
09-30-2022, 06:33 AM - 3 Likes   #33
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
get off my lawn......

(:
09-30-2022, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Its really much of the older folks who still value the old way of interacting that stays on forums.
I think you make good points. I don't have any insight into the age distributions or demographics on various social media platforms or forum-like sites. However, as a retired guy (an 'older folk'), I appreciate the in-depth discussions here on PF. The forum facilitates thoughtful exchanges, and the breadth and depth of knowledge is often surprising, going beyond photography. This site also has an incredible archived, accessible knowledge base.

I seem to be developing a thicker skin, and am less inclined to counter members who I think have posted silly or incorrect things. So, my own level of activity has decreased somewhat.

How much discussion do we need on 'flippy screens'? (I usually try to keep my snark in check...)

- Craig

09-30-2022, 10:00 AM - 3 Likes   #35
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I think there's been a drop in activity also, but I'm not sure if it's due to decreased Pentax ownership or simply a decrease in use of this forum.
I think there could be many reasons. I for one, have dropped my activity due to physical health problems, and not taking hardly any photos. I certainly hope this changes for me soon, and my activity here will pickup once again.
09-30-2022, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I for one, have dropped my activity due to physical health problems, and not taking hardly any photos. I certainly hope this changes for me soon, and my activity here will pickup once again.
And we all hope you can get back to it in good time, also many of us have dropped the ball for all sorts of reasons and have intent to pick it up when we can.
09-30-2022, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #37
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Kevin! I've really missed my photography!

10-16-2022, 10:14 PM - 3 Likes   #38

Hello everyone! : )

I could quote a ton of people above and reply one-by-one, but instead of that clutter labour-intensive way I will simply state my anecdotal thoughts inspired by them.... ;P

Yes, I am a newbie to this here forum[PF]; I have found it quite by accident and to much delight!
{TLDR}: I am a recent 'reactivation' to photo-land and through my rabbithole discovering+researching of cameras this wonderful place popped up; indeed via theGoogle.

I am not a newcomer to forums however and about 10 years ago I was prominent user of a very dedicated, active and fulfilling one for my hobby of choice at the time.
What has been said about social media and demographics I do believe to be the main culprit to the query of this thread.

I do find it quite unfortunate that reddit and FBgroups are the default thought for anyone seeking community online.
I DON'T LIKE THOSE FORMATS. As others have said, somethings about actual/proper forums begs for stimulating and more intellectual conversations and information.
[reddit is just a glorified and never ending (all-in-one) comments section and FB is well.....just FB....ya, too basic and disorganized to be useful].
>>FORUMS are archives, message boards, community spaces, marketplaces, reviews centres and literature/knowledge sources all in one.

But to those who grew up after their heyday, and basically 'birthed with a smartphone in their hand' I guess they could seem somewhat stodgy. : (

>>The only other forum I have 'recent' experience with is POSTCROSSINGS forum https://forum.postcrossing.com/ [OLD] https://community.postcrossing.com/ [NEW]
It is quite an active place (I do not know the forum demographics, but the hobby itself is surprisingly wide-spread).
I cannot see the discussions and organized activities that take place there functioning under any other method. (But I guess it helps that the FORUM is basically a SUPERCHARGER for the core activity of simply sending+receiving postcards off the main site; ie 10+group mailings, journal/scrapbook carousels, themed send groups etc).
{Unfortunately switching 'forum layouts/styles' seems to have killed-off some of the discussions and exchange activities and I lament this switch 'to keep modern'}.

I am a "shy millennial"
; I have always straddled the line between generations, embracing those whom have lived decades before me, lending them my ears or absorbing their wisdom.
My life is somewhat dichotomous or some may say "hybrid". I make (limited) use of the most 'current' tech while constantly digging for the oldest of gems.

I don't know what the future of forums holds, but at this point I am basically trying to apply my general philosophy of "use+enjoy while it's around" to just about everything in my life (lol?).
It seems that the more serious and conversational people gravitate somewhat to "forum format" and the more "flashy+showy" people tend to congregate on the 'other' platforms.

MAY WE ALL SHARE+EXPERIENCE MANY GREAT CONVOS AND ENLIGHTENMENTS VIA THIS FANTASTIC FORUM FOR YEARS TO COME!!
📷🙏💗💯
🗣💻

✌ JC