Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Ryobi One system for all my tools, absolutely love this system! I have a SnoJoe corded snowblower, which again is quite good!

The only gas powered "tool" I have is my riding lawn mower.

11-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I use the Ryobi One system also. It has worked very well for me. Not at the same level as the more commercial DeWalt or Milwaukee Tool, but it is a good step above Black and Decker. Ryobi also has a great selection of tools.
11-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I still use a gas snow blower, but only take it out when we've had a huge dump of snow that I wasn't able to deal with as it came down. Otherwise I use a shovel. I've traded my gas mower for a reel push mower from Lee Valley. I don't know who makes it for them but it's quite good and I can do my lawn about as quickly with it as with the gas mower.
I switched to a Makita battery powered weed whacker a couple of years ago. It's a little lightweight for some of the Triffid sized weeds we get, but for the most part it works fine. I use it mostly as an edger for the parts the reel mower doesn't get.

The big changeover I'm looking at now is setting my RV up for solar power and getting away from using a gasoline powered generator as much as possible. Even the small Honda generator that I use is annoying when my goal with camping is to get away from city noise.

Next year I am hoping to build a solar heated outbuilding. It won't be a big building, probably a 100 sq ft garden shed as that's the biggest I can build without city clearance.

As an aside to the Ryobi lovers, you may or may not know this but Ryobi, Ridgid and Milwaukee are all the same company and share a lot of technology.

I have resisted buying a gas leaf blower as I'm terrible at maintaining 2 stoke engines. I always manage to leave enough fuel in them over the winter to gum up the carburetor. I've wrecked a weed whacker and a chain saw that way. We have a plug in Toro leaf blower/ vacuum-mulcher. The cord is a pain, but for the few days a year we use it, I can tolerate it.
11-03-2022, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends. I've slowly been replacing my hand tools with Makita brushless tools, either corded or battery. The battery range tools have a battery that is compatible with all tools right across the range.
LXT System is the world's largest 18V slide-style battery system so it's nice that everything fits the same battery.

Of course, it will be interesting to see how their new XGT 40V | 80V system gets traction in the market.

There are still tools where electric / battery does not cut it (spot the pun) and one example for me is the woodchipper. That has a 4-stroke Honda engine and it can run all day long. I'd also struggle with an electric chainsaw at this stage, for the same reason.

11-04-2022, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As an aside to the Ryobi lovers, you may or may not know this but Ryobi, Ridgid and Milwaukee are all the same company and share a lot of technology.
Yup. Ryobi, Rigid and Milwaukee are owned by Techtronic Industries Limited. DeWalt, Craftsman, Porter Cable and Black and Decker are owned by Stanley Black and Decker. I checked into it after I noticed that a lot of the 20V Max batteries started to all look the same. Of course, they modify the battery case and tool base so as you cannot interchange them. Some YT videos do show some people with Dremel tools modifying them so you can do an interchange of the batteries.

---------- Post added 11-04-2022 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There are still tools where electric / battery does not cut it (spot the pun) and one example for me is the woodchipper.
Same here. We have a gas powered woodchipper and a splitter and I do not see it being replaced by electric any time soon.
11-09-2022, 08:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm in my 70's now, and have a good selection of tools, accumulated over the past 50 years. They are all corded. I haven't bought a new tool, I think for 15-20 years.

If I was a young man, and was starting over again, I would buy tools powered by battery. Probably look at getting into one system, so I could interchange batteries. Probably DeWalt or Milwaukee would be the system I would choose.
12-06-2022, 06:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had an 12-inch Stihl chainsaw for nearly two years. Love it. We live in the woods in Oregon, and owning two chainsaws -- a larger one for falling and cutting larger trees, and a smaller pruning saw -- is a necessity. We cut wood around here at least once a week; right now I've got to clear an 18-inch diameter Doug fir tree that toppled near our house in last week's windstorm.

The electric saw is lighter, quieter, easier to start and much safer -- the chain stops dead when you take your finger off the trigger, unlike most gas-powered units I've used. And a lot less fire danger from refilling gas saws in the woods in the summer. I'm sold.

I'll be buying a larger (20-inch) Stihl soon to replace our remaining gas saw.

12-07-2022, 01:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my 20's and 30's I planted shelter belts and hedges.
In my 30's and 40's I clambered atop them to trim and shape.
In my 50's I bought Silky pole-saws and orchard ladders so as to easier prune them.
In my 70's and 80's I'll have a little man come and do the trimming for me.
Now.... I'm about to buy a Stihl Combo Pro head unit and hedge-trimmer/chainsaw/cultivator c/w carbon fibre extention to allow me some years of active maintenance ...:-) before the little man comes...
01-20-2023, 09:23 PM   #24

I do have an electric chain saw, but I LOVE running anything with an ENGINE on it. I am an antique, I drive antique vehicles, I have 4 antique garden tractors, one of my favorite tools is an antique "brace" type of a drill...... I absolutely HATE battery-powered tools.... get my drift?
01-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI
Did that 20 years ago and never looked back
01-21-2023, 05:14 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm slowly migrating to cordless Makita (blue), or for stuff that needs more grunt, corded. I do have a large petrol (4stroke Honda engine) wood chipper, but other than that most equipment is electric.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-23-2023 at 03:59 PM.
01-21-2023, 07:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got a Ryobi 18V glue gun, which melts glue just fine. These Ryobi-colored vaguely drill-looking objects are starting to pile up, though. The next time I need a temporary glue job, it might be hard to find quickly.
01-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just ordered the Ryobi right angle drill. Wanted one of these for so long. Very handy for tight spaces.
02-03-2023, 03:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been a Makita and Milwaukee user for years.
What really gets me is that when the batteries die, it is only "few" more dollars to buy a whole new tool, battery, charger kit.
05-01-2023, 06:33 AM   #30
Pentaxian

We bought and EGO mower a few weeks ago and I'd rate it 7.5/10. It's light, quiet, and the battery usually has 20% remaining when I'm finished with our 1/3 acre yard.

The only downside is that it tends to "bounce" over imperfections in the yard far more than heavy gasoline mower that it replaced.