Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2023, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I moved away from gas-powered years ago. Never looked back. My battery-powered lawn equipment works fine and no gas smells and storage to deal with. Glad I've done it.

05-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still mostly gas but am converting to battery slowly as my old tools fail. I have an EGO weed whacker and really like it. I think I charge it 3 times every season at the most. Next in my sights is the EGO 16 inch chainsaw. I don't cut much wood anymore and I usually spend more time getting my aging Stihl Wood Boss running than I do cutting. I'm not convinced a battery lawnmower will do the job and very skeptical about a battery snowblower. Yeah, it would have worked fine this past winter but this is upstate NY where you measure snow by the yardstick on bad years.
05-03-2023, 04:46 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm still mostly gas but am converting to battery slowly as my old tools fail. I have an EGO weed whacker and really like it. I think I charge it 3 times every season at the most. Next in my sights is the EGO 16 inch chainsaw. I don't cut much wood anymore and I usually spend more time getting my aging Stihl Wood Boss running than I do cutting. I'm not convinced a battery lawnmower will do the job and very skeptical about a battery snowblower. Yeah, it would have worked fine this past winter but this is upstate NY where you measure snow by the yardstick on bad years.
I saw a YouTube video of a guy testing a battery powered snowblower a while back, it might have been an EGO 40 volt machine. He was punching the machine through very heavy snow and it seemed to perform quite well. He did indicate that extra batteries were a must have for heavy snowfalls though.

This is pretty much SOP if one wants a battery powered machine to do really heavy work no matter what it is designed to do.
If I'm screwing subfloor down with my Makita impact driver, two batteries and the 20 minute charger are a must have.

We rarely get the heavy snowfalls that you guys get in New England, but we do get -40º. I don't have heated storage for my machine, and last winter I shoveled more often than I used my snowblower because it was too cold for it to start.
05-04-2023, 03:57 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use battery power for all my hand power tools - saws, drills, impact wrench, angle grinder, whipper snipper, also I have a small 18v chainsaw which is surprisingly useful so the big Stihl gets little use these days. All use the same battery, and I have two of them so down time is minimal. I still use the diesel kubota with the flail mower to do the yard (20ac), and my big drill press, table saw and air compressor are 240v still.

Now I have to find a home for a lot of good corded power tools that still work fine, but neither I nor anyone I know is interested in them.

05-04-2023, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did for my cameras years ago.
05-04-2023, 07:28 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I saw a YouTube video of a guy testing a battery powered snowblower a while back, it might have been an EGO 40 volt machine. He was punching the machine through very heavy snow and it seemed to perform quite well. He did indicate that extra batteries were a must have for heavy snowfalls though.

This is pretty much SOP if one wants a battery powered machine to do really heavy work no matter what it is designed to do.
If I'm screwing subfloor down with my Makita impact driver, two batteries and the 20 minute charger are a must have.

We rarely get the heavy snowfalls that you guys get in New England, but we do get -40º. I don't have heated storage for my machine, and last winter I shoveled more often than I used my snowblower because it was too cold for it to start.
Those lithium ion batteries don't perform well in extreme cold either. I have a perfectly good John Deere snowblower that's a few years old but still starts and runs and clears anything the sky throws at it and I'll keep it until it's no longer functional. I've seen that same video and if I buy an electric snowblower, it will most likely be an EGO. These products WILL improve in time. I'm stunned with the output of my newer Dewalt battery power tools compared to my older ones from just a few years back. I do have a good collection of batteries. Currently, I'm using 2 drills (one regular, one hammer), an impact driver, impact wrench, and a 3/8 ratchet with 7 batteries and 2 chargers.

Up until recently, I was using a gas generator for outside projects and have now added a battery power station which handles short power outages, remote power, camping power and charges with solar, 12V from a vehicle and AC. Trying to get a generator started when it's below 0 is just as much fun as a snowblower. This unit stays inside where it's warm.
05-04-2023, 07:46 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Those lithium ion batteries don't perform well in extreme cold either. I have a perfectly good John Deere snowblower that's a few years old but still starts and runs and clears anything the sky throws at it and I'll keep it until it's no longer functional. I've seen that same video and if I buy an electric snowblower, it will most likely be an EGO. These products WILL improve in time. I'm stunned with the output of my newer Dewalt battery power tools compared to my older ones from just a few years back. I do have a good collection of batteries. Currently, I'm using 2 drills (one regular, one hammer), an impact driver, impact wrench, and a 3/8 ratchet with 7 batteries and 2 chargers.

Up until recently, I was using a gas generator for outside projects and have now added a battery power station which handles short power outages, remote power, camping power and charges with solar, 12V from a vehicle and AC. Trying to get a generator started when it's below 0 is just as much fun as a snowblower. This unit stays inside where it's warm.
I think the idea is you keep the batteries warm and charged until needed. A battery at room temperature doesn't lose it's charge immediately after going into the cold, it takes a while for the cold to penetrate. This is one of the reasons why one should have multiple batteries available for equipment that will be used when it's very cold.
Yes, your battery life will be shortened when using it in very cold temperatures, but you will get a lot of work out of it before the cold penetrates enough to kill it.
I suspect a battery powered snowblower would die from use before it would die of cold.
One of the things I found when I was setting up a solar power system was batteries that were self heating, using a small amount of their stored power to keep the cells warm. Doing this prevents the catastrophic power loss that a frozen battery suffers and greatly increases the amount of available energy that the battery can produce.
Considering the number of people who store power equipment in heated garages, I rather imagine that cold temperatures, at least for them, is a non starter concern. The entire machine is warm when starting, so cold has to penetrate the entire thermal mass of the machine before the battery will be overly affected.
Probably by then, the job is done.

05-04-2023, 10:14 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All my Ryobi 40V batteries get very warm to the touch when I do lawn stuff, and they are just 160 watt/hours. The Ego snowblower batteries are 420 watt/hours and I don't think last an hour. Cold temperatures probably keep them from bursting into flames.

My newspaper this morning said the Denver area has a rebate program if you buy battery lawn equipment to replace gas, which would cover about half the cost of the smallish one I have.

Last week I did my annual maintenance on my mower. I brushed off the cobwebs and sharpened the blade. Then I charged the batteries with my ridiculous amount of excess solar power. It started right up!
05-25-2023, 08:11 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Moved to Stihl battery gear for the garden and Milwaukee for the workshop and haven't looked back.
05-28-2023, 08:25 AM   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My equipment is all battery, except my riding mower; which is only used a couple times a year (no lawn). I love the ease of battery equipment, and especially the lines that the same battery fits all their products.