Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tacky cheesy, or useless Christmas gifts, anybody?

Inevitibly, most of us get at least one Christmas gift that is tacky, cheesy, or just plain useless to us.

I did get one gift that qualified for most useless--a bottle of Giorgio eau de parfum, original scent in the yellow and white striped box. Granted, I like the scent, but I hardly ever wear perfume. This gift came from my in-laws who haven't figured out yet that I rarely ever wear perfume, even after I've told them so. I much rather would've had the cash. I'm thinking about putting it up on Fleabay, but if any of you are interested, feel free to PM me and I'll give you a good deal on it.

I'm curious to know what you got that you weren't terribly thrilled about.

Heather

12-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Like I mentioned in the other thread my wife's sister's got me some pretty cheesy gifts this year. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or snotty - I'd rather they not get me anything and contribute the $2.50 they spent on me to a worthy charity.

Even my wife was a bit puzzled at the gifts. "What the hell is that?" she asked as I opened both gifts. "Wow, that's weird." She said after we examined both presents.

Anyways, I got a very small bar or 'Turkey Soap'. Which made me read the ingredients - no it is not made from turkeys, so I am not sure of the reasoning behind the name. At first we both thought it was a tiny block of butter fudge, which would have been great. But no, it was a chunk of soap. Geeze - is this some not-so-subtle hint that I stink? Hell, I shower daily and use deodorant, so I don't think I smell foul.

And the other sis-in law got me a cheap, cheesy tree ornament. Small, green, very plasticy snowflake thingy with a dangly glob of plastic on a short gold coloured chain. Really ugly by any stretch of imagination. It looked like a 3 year old wrapped it too.

We get along well with both families and visit each other a couple times a year as we are not living in the same town. Ah well - when we visit next I'll do my best to drink at least $25 worth of their booze - that'll make me feel better!
12-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a new dimension to add - dangerous. My kid's babysitter gave our 6 month old baby a 1/4 cup tub of Play-Doh - packaging says safe for 2+ yr olds.

We're looking for a new babysitter...
12-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must say that so far so good this year. Both my wife and I were working so we are catching up with much of the family later this weekend.

This happened last year to a friend. A lady who attends the same Curves gym with my wife and was trying very hard to loose weight was given a 2 pound chunk of chocolate that looked like a pile of dog turd by a relative. She was offended big time. I ended up with it and brought it to work and all of us at the shop had fun joking and wisecracking about it like "who says we don't give a s***" but I can't imagine giving that as a present to anyone.

12-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

XMAS Gifts

Best Photography Gift: 12x Kodachrome PKR-24. Actual gift was a mystery card that eventually led to the mini fridge.

Best other Gift: 2 pr. fleece "Sleeping Socks" from Lands End. In case you don't know, these are polyester fleece socks (almost thick enough to be booties) that you ONLY wear to sleep in. I'm old and I get cold .

Worst Gift: Box of 24 Slim Jim sausages.
12-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Best Photography Gift: 12x Kodachrome PKR-24. Actual gift was a mystery card that eventually led to the mini fridge.

Best other Gift: 2 pr. fleece "Sleeping Socks" from Lands End. In case you don't know, these are polyester fleece socks (almost thick enough to be booties) that you ONLY wear to sleep in. I'm old and I get cold .

Worst Gift: Box of 24 Slim Jim sausages.
I'll trade you a bar of soap for the Slim Jim's.
12-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #7

I remember getting all kind of (tacky, useless, wouldn't give them to my enemy) Christmas decorations, but the best worst gift I ever encountered was when my GF got earrings for pierced ears from her best friend.
My GF has never pierced her ears and has no intention to.

B.

12-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Banned

I got a small 'lucky bamboo' plant. I don't much care for it, but it was a nice gesture I suppose. I don't know where ill put it, and just for the record, an air plant died in my care so despite it being bamboo, it doesn't stand much of a chance based on my track record.
12-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Proposed Trade

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I'll trade you a bar of soap for the Slim Jim's.
Thanks for the offer, but . . .
adding insult to injury, we'd probably both have to answer the Customs Office - the one time they would question the "Gift" designation
12-28-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Most people who would give me a gift know that I'm extremely picky. So, they let me pick it out, or give me cash, or have my mom buy and they pay her for it

My dad usually buys us cheap, on sale, or rebate things from Menard's or Harbor Freight (no, I'm not kidding). Some of our presents are still at Grandma's house who we couldn't visit due to weather...but I'm expecting my yearly pair of Mechanix gloves! That's the one thing I can always use another of. If only he would remember the right size and style...sigh.
12-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #11

QuoteQuote:
I don't mean to sound ungrateful or snotty - I'd rather they not get me anything and contribute the $2.50 they spent on me to a worthy charity.
Now THAT is funny!!! Perhaps it's meant to be used in a Turkish bath

I think the strangest gift I ever received was from my newly wed hubby, 36 years ago. He got me a desk set with one of those big desk top/pad calendar thingies....problem was, we had no desk. We have gotten lots of laughs over that one for quite a few years
12-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Though over the years I've received some "interesting" gifts, I've always been greatful for anything people will give me. I'm glad they thought of me.

I'm really not picky at all... mostly because I know I am VERY hard to shop for. I am non communicative and never tell people what I want, and to make it worse whenever I want something, I just go out and buy it right away. It drives my family buggy.

Pat
12-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, useless from "me" to "me" Kodak ESP-5 printer...

One day (just before Christmas) I was watching TV, Kodak commercial came on. Pigmented ink = no fading, great price on ink, "photolab quality", blah blah blah...

So I bought one, even wrapped it for $hits and giggles. So Christmas morning, we all unwrap the gifts, I spent about 30 min installing this thing.

Turned it on - "no cartridge"... Whatever, its installed! Re-install cartridges, re-install the head, again, same error. After 3 tries - finally! Calibrated itself, first print - ugly streaks Redid the calibration again, checked the settings, print: Same ugly streaks. Kodak, come on!!!

So after 2 hours of messing with it to no better results, took it back on Dec 26th

Regards,
D
12-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Yeah, useless from "me" to "me" Kodak ESP-5 printer...

One day (just before Christmas) I was watching TV, Kodak commercial came on. Pigmented ink = no fading, great price on ink, "photolab quality", blah blah blah...

So I bought one, even wrapped it for $hits and giggles. So Christmas morning, we all unwrap the gifts, I spent about 30 min installing this thing.

Turned it on - "no cartridge"... Whatever, its installed! Re-install cartridges, re-install the head, again, same error. After 3 tries - finally! Calibrated itself, first print - ugly streaks Redid the calibration again, checked the settings, print: Same ugly streaks. Kodak, come on!!!

So after 2 hours of messing with it to no better results, took it back on Dec 26th

Regards,
D
Hahahahaaaa. The first time I saw the infomercial I rushed to do some research on the ESP products. After about a minute I was pretty sure I'm getting the epson r280 for photos and the $25 all in one HP printer at walmart for everything but photos...
12-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Interesting reading this thread
I received a parcel about 6 inches square and about 1/4 inch thick. Gift label showed to my wife, my daughter and myself with love. From 'a relative" ( I won't name).

When opened this parcel contained :

1 soap about 1 inch round, about the size of a average size coin.

I mens handkerchief all crunched up and creased. (Used?????)

1 set of Christmas gift labels, about 10 labels in all.

We all just shook our head in disbelief.

It may not be the price of the gift that counts, but ....... I ask you