Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2022, 05:34 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The OP gave a Star Wars prequel film as his example, but that’s where it falls down for me: it didn’t engage me like the original 3 films did (or the recent sequels) so poor cgi only irritates when the plot is plonking along. In the same way, over-fussy costumes would grate if a period drama was better dropped after the pilot episode.

12-26-2022, 07:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Modern movies by and large just suck IMO. There are a number of faults, and they are not down to CGI.:-
1. Poor exposure. Many movies are grossly underexposed for some reason and I find them unwatchable as a consequence
2. Poor plot lines and unbelievable or more egregiously, unsympathetic characters.
3. Politically correct plots.
4. Lack of nuance.
5. Horrid stereotypes
1. I have never noticed this.
2. Definitely.
3. Not sure what you mean...
4. Yes, see also #2.
5. I think these have always been there.

The quality of writing and directing has decreased significantly in the last fifteen to twenty years. A particular peeve of mine is a film claiming something like "non-stop action!" - if the action in a movie is non-stop then that movie will be poorly paced. A proper movie, whether or not it falls into the genre "action", has action interspersed with slower sections.
12-26-2022, 10:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
1. I have never noticed this.
2. Definitely.
3. Not sure what you mean...
4. Yes, see also #2.
5. I think these have always been there.

The quality of writing and directing has decreased significantly in the last fifteen to twenty years. A particular peeve of mine is a film claiming something like "non-stop action!" - if the action in a movie is non-stop then that movie will be poorly paced. A proper movie, whether or not it falls into the genre "action", has action interspersed with slower sections.
1. I have just suffered watching the latest batman movie*. Yes, like many modern films it is grotesquely under-exposed. A lot of TV suffers from this too if it is supposed to be dramatic.
3. Too much emphasis on what the MS narrative seems to think we should believe and think creeping into stories when we just want to be entertained.

You are bang on right about action movies these days. What also hacks me off are remakes, which are usually so much worse than the originals and just smack of laziness and lack of creative thinking (in a so called creative industry no less) and rank profiteering by the film companies, supported by them being overly hyped. They are also becoming closer together I reckon. Did we really need a slew of new Spiderman films so soon after the Toby Maguire ones?

*Actually I did not suffer that much as it was so unwatchable I drifted off into a pleasant sleep for much of it. The Hale Sleep Test is a base line for how watchable I find a movie. It is not necessarily a test of whether the film is any good or not as often I have sat through a film and been disappointed by a poor ending which has ruined the experience.