Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2022, 02:18 PM   #1
Closed Account

Otis Appreciation Society

Please refresh my memory on the Otis Appreciation Society. Someone schooled me on it a few years back, but I've forgotten the details. Apparently, Otis was a well liked user here in the forums - umh, & liked photographing squirrels also (?) I believe he also suffered to his death, in a hospital, posting in the forums here when he could muster up enough energy...

---------- Post added 12-28-22 at 02:30 PM ----------

Update: Site administrator, Adam, had informed me of this link, concerning Otis:
In Memory of Rupert - Site News | PentaxForums.com
which, the above, also includes a link to Rupert's final post, which I also link here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3-k-3-ii/239325-why-i-wont-...ml#post4155251

Thanks Adam!

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 12-28-2022 at 02:33 PM.
12-29-2022, 10:01 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are thinking of Rupert. He was pretty much confined to home and spent a lot of time photographing birds and squirrels. In particular one named Otis. It turned out that Otis was the supreme emperor of all the squirrels and lots of stories developed around him. Rupert himself led a pretty colorful life in his younger days was completely devoted to his wife of some 50 years or so. He was a heck of a storyteller too. Pretty crusty on the outside, but a heart of gold on the inside.

He would often award memberships to the Otis Appreciation Society when people did something nice for the local wildlife. I myself was awarded was awarded the "Citizen Squirrel Award" for gathering up over 1,100 walnuts in my yard and dumping them in a big stash for the local squirrels. It may have been the last award Rupert ever bestowed and I do consider it a genuine honor.

12-29-2022, 10:47 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rupert (Jim Williams) was a longtime Pentaxian who loved his squirrel and "critter" photos. He also liked to spin colorful tales (some real, some not ), and was a valued and generous member of the forums. I was fortunate to have met the man and his lovely wife shortly before his passing. His humor and country wisdom are sorely missed.

His Flickr account is still open: James Williams | Flickr

Last edited by paulh; 12-29-2022 at 05:22 PM.
12-29-2022, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rupert never took himself,or any of the rest of us,too seriously,and often took the rancour out of heated debates with his humour.He also had an abundance of that vastly underrated quality - kindness.