Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My Ebay account got hacked

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My Ebay account got hacked on the 22/12/08.. I was trying to login in and couldn't. I got on to ebay live help.. Someone had changed my email to a adrian.52510@gmail.com and changed my password Then they listed a Nikon D200 brand new in box for action WTF I am a Pentaxian.. I was lucky the action hadn't finished or someone had clicked on the buy it now! I got all the seller fees refunded and my account restored. I am so careful with scams emails... How did they get in? Have changed my passwords on all sites.. just in case!

Got and Traced these A#$%holes IP

IP address: 124.191.104.83
IP country: Australia
IP Address state: Victoria
IP Address city: Werribee
IP latitude: -37.900002
IP longitude: 144.666702
ISP: Telstra Internet
Organization: Telstra Internet
Host: CPE-124-191-104-83.vic.bigpond.net.au

12-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you recently respond to any phishing emails purportedly from ebay?
12-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #3

Sounds like someone you knew being in the same country and all...it's not like it's some crooked nigerian. I would suggest getting a Paypal/Ebay key that requires you to enter a unique code every time you log in...does away with that sort of BS.

Been an ebayer since 98 w/o any problem
12-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Did you recently respond to any phishing emails purportedly from ebay?
Didn't respond to any scam mail! Did a google search on the topic "my ebay account got hacked" very common thing to happen?

12-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowraven Quote
Sounds like someone you knew being in the same country and all...it's not like it's some crooked nigerian. I would suggest getting a Paypal/Ebay key that requires you to enter a unique code every time you log in...does away with that sort of BS.

Werribee I don't know anyone who lives there? The only people who have PC access are my wife and 5 year old daughter?
12-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
Werribee I don't know anyone who lives there? The only people who have PC access are my wife and 5 year old daughter?
My money's on the daughter.

Seriously, I'm glad you caught it in time Adrian.
12-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Just ordered 1 of those security keyrings for paypal/ebay for $7.50 AUD.. Thanks for the info..

12-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Adrian,
Are ebay going to investigate further?...or the police?
Can't let the buggers get away with it.
12-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered 1 of those security keyrings for paypal/ebay for $7.50 AUD.. Thanks for the info..
Where exactly do one get one of these keyrings ?
12-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The same thing happened to me. I just happened to check my e-mail to look for a message from a friend. I got about 15 messages for gold purchased for WOW. Initially thought it was junk messages, but for some reason my curiosity peaked. I had to act fast and cancel my card, put a hold on paypal payments, and sent messages to all involved. Some were helpful and were able to provide some info on who the purchaser said he was.

Good luck and the security key is a great item. Not only do they need to know your username/password, but they have to have the key with the correct number. I wish more things used this as a method for verification.
12-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Where exactly do one get one of these keyrings ?
I believe at the paypal site// as ebay and paypal are now the same company, they work together. Only downside I've seen is the inconvenience of not being able to log in when you don't have the key i.e. on vacation etc
12-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a possibility that some sort of spyware/key logger got onto your computer and allowed them to hack your account?

On a different not, I get various phishing type emails claiming to be from ebay and paypal all the time. I forward them to either spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com.
12-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Only downside I've seen is the inconvenience of not being able to log in when you don't have the key i.e. on vacation etc
Another downside is you can't use a sniping tool to put in last minute bids.
12-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How did they get in?
Standard response:

- weak password. About 1 million passwords are tried in hacking attempts. Including ALL female first names...

- shared password. You used a password which was also used on another (hacked) site (like a forum site, since forum sites are hacked frequently. And I don't mean pentaxforums.com here )

- keylogger virus.

- logged IP traffic (always use HTTPS for logins).
12-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Standard response:

- weak password. About 1 million passwords are tried in hacking attempts. Including ALL female first names...

- shared password. You used a password which was also used on another (hacked) site (like a forum site, since forum sites are hacked frequently. And I don't mean pentaxforums.com here )

- keylogger virus.

- logged IP traffic (always use HTTPS for logins).
Good post! If you must simplify your use of passwords, use one password for forums, and a different one for sites like Paypal and ebay. Make it at least 8 characters long and a random combination of upper case / lower case letters and numbers (no actual words!). Each character you add past 8 increases your protection, but many sites limit you to 12.

As falconeye points out, a keylogger will negate even this, so use at least one, preferably two or more spyware programs.