Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 07:27 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
I went to my local store to get prints and ended up not using them due to cost of prints for the size I wanted. I needed 2 10x30 prints for Christmas and the local shop wanted $67 for each print. I simply cant afford that, maybe their smaller prints will be more affordable. Their prints are a lot cheaper if you also get them to frame the prints but I also make my own frames
Unfortunately, that print size is going to be very much a custom print. You were probably quoted on a 20x30 print.
Having said this, 67 bucks seems like a lot for a 20x30 too.
If I don't want to take on a job for someone, I will quote it out high enough that they either go away, or else they are paying me well for my time and frustration. Perhaps there was a bit of that going on.

12-31-2008, 08:17 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Falconeye, You have a pretty good model here. There are a couple of weaknesses however. [...] I don't think this [stage #2, ed.] will completely happen. BH, Adorama, Bedford Camera, BlueMoon, KEH and Chains like Calumet still do business they way the did 25-30 years ago. [...] Model 3 has never worked that well in the U.S. and those kinds of "show rooms" come and go [...] Face it, if it weren't for the IPod, Apple would be in serious trouble.
Thanks for your comments. And while I agree that my model has a couple of weaknesses, let me get to some of your points...

First, I am very in love with my model because I've never run any model which doesn't simply predict the death of everything we like. And I like local experts I can walk to and dig into subject My model, at least, ends with a positive perspective.

Then, Calumet and alike sell services much more than anything else. Selling services is an alternative path and stage #3 probably means a combination of purchase consultancy and services.

Lastly, stage #3 is only possible after traditional retail stores are a vanishing phenomenon. Today, nobody pays to see the product -- except for trade shows.

Some comment regarding Apple... it isn't the iPod. It is that Apple is one of the rare companies which doesn't produce and sell products with virtually no added value. If you add real value, you can dominate the sales channels as well. DSLRs have more added value than, say a Dell computer but less than an Apple with their operating system and interoperation chains.
12-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #48

camera stores

[QUOTE= .... The third time I say Pentax I get what I want because I openly tell them I'll just order it online if they won't sell it to me ... .[/QUOTE]

your lucky they even try to sell it to you ....

it is sad to see soo many of the store go out of buisness but many have done it to their selves .... (combined with the return of mail order way of doing things like from the 19th century) but i've generally had poor luck with camera stores they don't want to sell you what you ask for. Unless you buying an new camera every year they ignore you. and the stores i shop pretty much dismiss you if it isn't cannikon. the pentax section have disappeared or shrunk ta a 10th of what it was.if you ask for anything pentax they say no we don't have it and turn to to another customer leaving me no choice but to go ta amazon or BH. I tried for almost a year to get the off camera flash cable combination from my local guys they kept saying they would get it in or go look through a drawer and say nope were out ..... finally i ordered it online ,since i now have online account i just log in and have it the next day

the stores are in a bad position the suppliers don't want to really support the price wise against the mail order houses, the customers are fed up with the marginal customer service .... i think many are in venus flytrap mode waiting for the unsuspecting to come in and then trap them and sell them what ever they put on the counter
12-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I went into my local Ritz today just poking around. I asked if they had any Pentax lenses. The lady behind the counter kind of looked at me for a minute and then looked around. They did have one...18-55mm. I asked if they had any primes and she said she didn't know what Pentax even made for primes. I asked if it were possible to order one and she repeated that she didn't know what Pentax made for primes and that she was sorry. She said they didn't get many requests for Pentax so they don't really stock anything. Obviously she wasn't even willing to consider ordering it. In this case, I was basically being told "go online and order it...we don't want your business."

Funny thing is the guy waiting behind me spoke up and said he was looking for a K-M. She said she wasn't familiar with that model and asked who made it. We both said Pentax at about the same time. She just kind of stared back incredulous and shrugged her shoulders. She said sorry.

I'm one to believe that many don't stock Pentax because in reality it is not as big a seller as C and N. But I'm beginning to think that much of it also might be a bit of ignorance. They are also caught up in the "C and N are the only cameras out there" mania.

Oh well, their loss.

12-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I went into my local Ritz today just poking around. I asked if they had any Pentax lenses. The lady behind the counter kind of looked at me for a minute and then looked around. They did have one...18-55mm. I asked if they had any primes and she said she didn't know what Pentax even made for primes. I asked if it were possible to order one and she repeated that she didn't know what Pentax made for primes and that she was sorry. She said they didn't get many requests for Pentax so they don't really stock anything. Obviously she wasn't even willing to consider ordering it. In this case, I was basically being told "go online and order it...we don't want your business."

Funny thing is the guy waiting behind me spoke up and said he was looking for a K-M. She said she wasn't familiar with that model and asked who made it. We both said Pentax at about the same time. She just kind of stared back incredulous and shrugged her shoulders. She said sorry.

I'm one to believe that many don't stock Pentax because in reality it is not as big a seller as C and N. But I'm beginning to think that much of it also might be a bit of ignorance. They are also caught up in the "C and N are the only cameras out there" mania.

Oh well, their loss.
I guess it goes to show that the Ritz experience is pretty variable. The store closest to my house (Jantzen Beach, just north of Portland, Oregon) had a pretty good selection the first week of December. They had both K20D and K200D bodies along with DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 50-200, and DA 55-300 lenses. They were unable to take delivery of the K2000/K-M before Christmas, but indicated that they were expecting stock after the first of the year.

The clerk that helped me was a K10D owner and very enthusiastic about the Pentax line. I did not find that out until after he had steered me away from the D60 I was evaluating for a friend. (BTW...the K200D simply rocks in comparison...)

Steve

(Not a Ritz fan, but credit given where credit is due...)
12-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess it goes to show that the Ritz experience is pretty variable. The store closest to my house (Jantzen Beach, just north of Portland, Oregon) had a pretty good selection the first week of December. They had both K20D and K200D bodies along with DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 50-200, and DA 55-300 lenses. They were unable to take delivery of the K2000/K-M before Christmas, but indicated that they were expecting stock after the first of the year.

The clerk that helped me was a K10D owner and very enthusiastic about the Pentax line. I did not find that out until after he had steered me away from the D60 I was evaluating for a friend. (BTW...the K200D simply rocks in comparison...)

Steve

(Not a Ritz fan, but credit given where credit is due...)

I know you are right and things differ from store to store with Ritz. I'm positive that other Ritz locations are better. I usually do not frequent this store as I've had the same treatment in the past, but the wife was shopping around the corner and I just wandered in for something to do. My expectations were not high to begin with.

My normal B&M store is in the Twin Cities metro (NatCam) and I usually get treated quite well. They usually carry a good selection (albiet not every product) of Pentax products, including used lenses and equipment. On top of that, they have no problem steering the customer towards what they view will fit them...including a Pentax product.
12-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #52
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

Face it, if it weren't for the IPod, Apple would be in serious trouble. Pentax has never attempted this type of model and don't think they could survive relying on this type of model
Well the IPod and what a 150million dollar infusion from Microsoft?

12-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Creve Couer Camera

As I have posted earlier in this thread, our St. Louis mini-chain (8 stores) not only carries Pentax, they PROMOTE Pentax.

Check this out Pentax Test Drive - Creve Coeur Camera

Service varies by store and salesperson. I frequent the used department (i consider my purchases and sales of old Pentax lenses akin to long-term rental). Sometimes I get annoyed if I want to buy something new - some salespeople try to steer me to Canon - but as I said before, the third time I say Pentax (if necessary) I also say "order online" in the same sentence, and I get what I want.

It does cheer the heart to see a B&M retailer promoting the brand.
12-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
...My normal B&M store is in the Twin Cities metro (NatCam) and I usually get treated quite well. They usually carry a good selection (albiet not every product) of Pentax products, including used lenses and equipment. On top of that, they have no problem steering the customer towards what they view will fit them...including a Pentax product.
Glad to hear that you have access to a great B&M store. I have heard of National Camera in the past and understand that they are good to do business with. Ritz is OK within the limits of what they are. Here in the Portland area they purchased Camera World of Oregon (formerly a pretty big mail-order presence that had a big B&M store as well...before Ritz) as well as all the former Kits/Wolf Camera locations. These stores were, despite having a consumer orientation, a notch above the general "mall shop", a characteristic that has carried over even under the Ritz ownership.

Steve
12-31-2008, 09:02 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As I have posted earlier in this thread, our St. Louis mini-chain (8 stores) not only carries Pentax, they PROMOTE Pentax.

Check this out Pentax Test Drive - Creve Coeur Camera

Service varies by store and salesperson. I frequent the used department (i consider my purchases and sales of old Pentax lenses akin to long-term rental). Sometimes I get annoyed if I want to buy something new - some salespeople try to steer me to Canon - but as I said before, the third time I say Pentax (if necessary) I also say "order online" in the same sentence, and I get what I want.

It does cheer the heart to see a B&M retailer promoting the brand.
What a great sales promotion! Usability is a strong point of the Pentax line, though sometimes that feature requires a little time with the product. Congratulations to a dealer that is willing to provide a test drive of a consumer product.

Steve
01-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blue, ever buy any jewelry? May not have been at msrp, but can guarantee you paid many times the msrp markup of a camera product for it.
B&M has to charge more for products because it takes far longer to help people than it does to take their money. It also costs more to make stores clean & pretty vs a warehouse.
thanks
barondla
01-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Blue, ever buy any jewelry? May not have been at msrp, but can guarantee you paid many times the msrp markup of a camera product for it.
B&M has to charge more for products because it takes far longer to help people than it does to take their money. It also costs more to make stores clean & pretty vs a warehouse.
thanks
barondla
No on the jewelry, besides that's a pretty poor comparison. I guess you overlooked our discussion of the Hobby store comparison with us model rail road guys. That is a more realistic comparison. What are you talking about charging more than the msrp? They were only doing that on Pentax which they don't carry. They had some good prices on Nikon. In fact, we got the Nikon 70s, Nikkor 100mm macro, macro flash, Nikon bag, and a zoom from them about 3 years ago and they were great to deal with. I do about 90% of my film purchases, developing and digital printing from them. On an additional note, this notion that B & M knows more than I do isn't always the case. It depends on who is behind the counter that day. On the other hand, if I go into the local scuba, canoe, kayak dealer and outfitter, the owner there probably knows as much more about equipment, streams and scuba holes than anybody in the state of Florida.
01-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Well the IPod and what a 150million dollar infusion from Microsoft?
I forgot about the infusion!
01-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Was in a Penn Camera store (northern VA) this past Saturday, and they had one K20D and a "demo" K10D. The K10D demo (18-55 kit lens) was $499, IIRC. To their credit, they did have a fairly large listing of Pentax lenses and they offered to order anything I wanted. Naturally, their prices weren't too competitive (FA 50mm for $219). I know 1 of the salesmen shoots Pentax as he and I have talked about them in the past.
01-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Was in a Penn Camera store (northern VA) this past Saturday, and they had one K20D and a "demo" K10D. The K10D demo (18-55 kit lens) was $499, IIRC. To their credit, they did have a fairly large listing of Pentax lenses and they offered to order anything I wanted. Naturally, their prices weren't too competitive (FA 50mm for $219). I know 1 of the salesmen shoots Pentax as he and I have talked about them in the past.
The $219 isn't that bad, especially if you could try it out.