Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2023, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

Bezzo's worth forced DPreview to be shut down

Bezzo's worth is $202 billion, making him the richest person on Earth.

DPreview, thus, had to be shut down, so that he doesn't lose any money or his standing on the Forbe's list - being #1 on that list.

03-28-2023, 06:11 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's a lot of anger, Michael, but it's a result of Amazon deciding where the cuts could be done, and the Shopping operation (of which DPR was part) copped it perhaps more than most.

Update from CEO Andy Jassy on role eliminations

Amazon has an obligation to maximise its profits for all shareholders, not just Bezos. Amazon traded as high as $180 a share in late 2021, and gradually fell to $88 last month. The 'suits' had to do something. He might be okay, but what if as another shareholder some of your own life savings were now worth half as much instead of having increased?

That's capitalism, it's not a charity organization, unfortunately, and IIRC some 30,000 will have lost their jobs, not just the 18,000 mentioned above, and from everywhere from DPR to the Washington Post.

Last edited by clackers; 03-28-2023 at 08:18 PM.
03-28-2023, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bezos owns only about 10% of Amazon, and as of March 1, 2023 his net worth (according to Forbes) is $117.4B. He is far outstripped by Elon Musk ($196.5B) and Bernard Arnault ($210.8B).

Source: The Top Ten Richest People In The World
03-28-2023, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Bezos owns only about 10% of Amazon, and as of March 1, 2023 his net worth (according to Forbes) is $117.4B. He is far outstripped by Elon Musk ($196.5B) and Bernard Arnault ($210.8B).

I'm sure you're right. I got the information from Google - which isn't always accurate....

---------- Post added 03-28-23 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There's a lot of anger, Michael, but it's a result of Amazon deciding where the cuts could be done, and the Shopping operation (of which DPR was part) copped it perhaps more than most.

Update from CEO Andy Jassy on role eliminations

Amazon has an obligation to maximise its profits for all shareholders, not just Bezos. Amazon traded as high as $180 a share in late 2021, and gradually fell to $88 last month. The 'suits' had to do something.

That's capitalism, it's not a charity organization, unfortunately, and IIRC some 30,000 will have lost their jobs, not just the 18,000 mentioned above, and everywhere from DPR to the Washington Post.
Yeh, I agree with everything you said.

The only 2 camera websites that I frequent, is this one and DPreview. I just felt like saying something....

03-29-2023, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The headline wealth calculations are based on the current share price and amount of shares people own, both easy to find public numbers. Share count won't change that quickly but the price does, so any number you see is wrong. It's just lazy news reporting.

Maybe it's my fault, I own some AMZN shares.

I think Mr. Bezos is thinking more about rockets and his enormous sailboat than Dpreview.
03-29-2023, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Maybe it's my fault, I own some AMZN shares.
Your investment halved, Dave, so you'd be expecting the highly paid executives to turn that round!

If revenue can't increase, the only other way is to reduce costs, which is a euphemism for lay-offs unfortunately.
03-30-2023, 02:40 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think since his divorce Bezos isn't the richest guy. The list I saw is similar to the one luftluss posted. The Richest People in the World in 2023

I think Elon Musk's worth fluctuates a lot depending on stock prices. So, he could be richest person in the world depending on stock prices. This article on CNN claimed that Musk had passed Arnault at the end of February -- at least briefly. Elon Musk is the richest person in the world again - CNN

Regardless, I don't think Bezos decides this sort of thing. DP Review clearly wasn't generating enough sales (maybe simply due to the market downturn in the last few years) and Amazon decided to stop bankrolling it.

The whole DP Review thing bothers me less than the 27,000 workers who are planned to be laid off from Amazon this year. The people who work for DP Review should be able to find jobs elsewhere and the forum members should be able to settle elsewhere as well, but the people who are working every day jobs in warehouses may struggle for a while.

04-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Did Bezos really have any part of the decision to shut down DP Review? I thought he retired and stepped down from operations a couple of years ago. I see commentators on some financial pages blaming Amazon's losses on the fact that Bezos is no longer in control. Whether that's true or not, who knows. Clackers is right about protecting investors and shareholders. Not everybody who owns Amazon stock is a millionaire. It's been a great stock for years for individual investors with a few hundred $$$ to invest and being down over 50% really hurts. The suits have to cut losses.
04-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Thx God for that relishing info, Bezo mmmmmmmm Enuff said
04-02-2023, 01:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Amazon has an obligation to maximise its profits for all shareholders, not just Bezos. Amazon traded as high as $180 a share in late 2021, and gradually fell to $88 last month. The 'suits' had to do something. He might be okay, but what if as another shareholder some of your own life savings were now worth half as much instead of having increased?

That's capitalism, it's not a charity organization, unfortunately,
"I only did my job" and "I only did as I was told" is famously not a valid defense.
04-02-2023, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
"I only did my job" and "I only did as I was told" is famously not a valid defense.
That's right, once you're a CFO, you have to exercise options known to you. That others don't yet understand them is a separate problem.