Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ergonomics and controls really are the best

I gotta say, Pentax really got everything right with the K10D/K20D. I've shot with various Canons and Nikons and most recently my new-to-me 1Ds2. Pentax just got everything in the right place on these cameras; I usually shoot in Av mode and have ISO on one dial and aperture on the other. When on the R-strap I can just grab it with my right hand, turn it up, touch the shutter button and get a quick meter reading -- then adjust ISO/aperture accordingly so I'm ready for a quick shot when needed. Basically whenever I walk into "new" light I'll do a spot check to make sure my shutter speeds won't be too slow.

And everything's where you expect it to be.

Now if they could only get viewfinder blackout and autofocus working like on my 1Ds2... I'd gladly pay $2k for a K30d with that! (Then again, it's not really fair comparing a camera that cost $8k brand new to the K20D.)

01-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I appreciate the ergonomics of my K20 every time I pick up one of the D200s or D300s that the Nikon shooters at the studio use..
01-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are the D200/D300 the same control layout as the D100? A friend has the D100 and when I pick it up everything is just in the wrong place. Not to mention the damn dials spin backwards!

I have to say though that I am starting to appreciate the controls on the 1Ds2 -- while more cumbersome to use because of the two-handed requirement it's pretty clever and lets you control everything you need without taking your eye off the viewfinder.
01-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Are the D200/D300 the same control layout as the D100? A friend has the D100 and when I pick it up everything is just in the wrong place. Not to mention the damn dials spin backwards!

I have to say though that I am starting to appreciate the controls on the 1Ds2 -- while more cumbersome to use because of the two-handed requirement it's pretty clever and lets you control everything you need without taking your eye off the viewfinder.
Don't know about the D100, I've never used one (never seen one in fact).

I find that the dials on the Pentax spin backwards for me. One of the things I'd like to see is a menu adjustment to allow reversing the control direction.

01-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I find that the dials on the Pentax spin backwards for me. One of the things I'd like to see is a menu adjustment to allow reversing the control direction.

I find I occasionally jog the K20D dials by accident, and sometimes don't notice till it's too late (especially as eyeglass prevents me from jamming my eye close enough the the viewfinder to casually look at the settings), so I get the occasional 1/30th at f19 or something.
01-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a huge annoyance for me if I am working an event such as a wedding.
Those dials are too easy to turn and throw off a setting.
I would really appreciate it if the USER setting was just that, rather than a starting point for mis adjusting the camera.
To me, that setting should be a locked setting, where nothing changes until you move the mode dial to something else.
01-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
...I find that the dials on the Pentax spin backwards for me. One of the things I'd like to see is a menu adjustment to allow reversing the control direction.
I thought I was the only one!

Steve

01-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

With every Pentax body that I've ever had, I've found the basic controls to be pretty easy to figure out. The only other DSLR I've really handled for any length of time is Dad's Canon XSi; I don't know if it was simply because I'm used to the Pentax way of doing things or what, but it took me longer to figure the thing out. As for the hand-feel part of ergonomics, I've handled many cameras (in stores) and I can't anything that feels quite as good as either of my Pentax bodies, especially the K200.

Heather
01-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think it is also a case of what you get used to.. but Pentax controls are pretty good, certainly the first to offer ISO on one of the wheels in Av mode.. A feature I would hate to live without...
01-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Note to Pentax corporate: We like the ergonomics of your SLRS.
01-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was shopping for my first DSLR I checked out several cameras. When I finally found a K10D, after picking it up and fooling around taking a few shots in the store I bought it on the spot. After handling it for just a few minutes I considered it a much better camera layout than any of the others.