Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Big Problem with my Video Card..I think...Big Ca Ca

We are in the middle of re-touching for the Monday deadline and I think the video card is going. On my G5 when we start the computer everything opens fine and right after everything stabilizes the screen zooms about 20 percent cutting off the peripheral and when the mouse is moved the screen moves in the opposite direction. I am not sure if it is the ATI card or what. Apple Care isn't open tomorrow..I am F--Ked...There is a store in Paris called FNAC that's open tomorrow...I don't know what to do...I could buy a new card..Any ideas?


Last edited by benjikan; 03-17-2007 at 02:50 PM.
03-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
Hey Ben,

I don't know much about Apple computers. Have you tried changing the screen resolution to a lower setting?
03-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Hey Ben,

I don't know much about Apple computers. Have you tried changing the screen resolution to a lower setting?

It just reduces the resolution but still move when the mouse is employed..
03-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
Try reinstalling the driver?

Not sure if this is the right one.

Radeon X1900 G5 Series update for Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later

03-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
Ben:
I presume you rebuilt permissions, but if not, and if you're running OS X, send me a private e-mail at macmini@alltel.net and I'll not only run you through that procedure, but several more that might help if it doesn't cure your problem.
Rob "MacDaddy" White, Apple certified systems engineer (retired, but still kickin')
03-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
While we're waiting on Ben to respond to me directly, for any "MacHead" out there who forgot, Apple's built in Disk Utility is a dandy way to start repairs on a wacky Mac. In the case of a wayward video card, starting up your Mac WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE SPACE BAR will not load a number of system extensions that could be the cause. This may take awhile to start, but be patient. When you get to the desktop, then hit shift, Apple (or, Command) and U keys (or, in the top toolbar , click on "GO" and scroll down to "Utilities") and find the "Disk Utility" icon and double-click on it. When the application launches, select your hard drive on the left side and then run "Repair Disk Permissions" on the bottom center/left. When it finishes, restart your system to load everything and it should have fixed the problem 90% of the time.
I set mine to run via Automator on the 7th, 21st and 28th of each month when I start up my system and in 18 years or so of working on Macs (and 6 with OS X) it's worked—90% of the time to prevent problems.
Rob W
03-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Ati 9650

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Try reinstalling the driver?

Not sure if this is the right one.

Radeon X1900 G5 Series update for Mac OS X 10.4.7 or later
Thanks, but I am using the ATI 9650...No updates..I am freaking out...Can't re-touch on a screen that moves when you move the mouse or Wacom Pen...
03-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 141
Ben: The "down n' dirty" way to see if it IS the video card is simple IF you have your original system CDs or DVDs. Put the first disk in your computer and re-start while holding down the "C" key so the OS loads from the CD/DVD and not from the computer. If it loads and your display looks okay, then your operating system got corrupted and you'll need to do an "archive and install" reload of your OS from the disks. The advantage there is that it will not only keep all your system settings, but correct the issues. The DISADVANTAGE is that you'll kiss about 90 minutes goodbye while doing it.
Also, DISCONNECT THE WACOM TABLET AND RESTART BEFORE YOU TRY THIS STEP! If that clears up your problem, the video card isn't the issue. Reload the Wacom drivers and try again.
Rob W
P.S. In fact, if you aren't bouncing off the walls and have calmed down enough to be reading THIS, disconnect EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE and restart. I suspect it is a peripheral and NOT the video card. Also, try a different mouse.

03-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Hello MacDaddy

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
While we're waiting on Ben to respond to me directly, for any "MacHead" out there who forgot, Apple's built in Disk Utility is a dandy way to start repairs on a wacky Mac. In the case of a wayward video card, starting up your Mac WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE SPACE BAR will not load a number of system extensions that could be the cause. This may take awhile to start, but be patient. When you get to the desktop, then hit shift, Apple (or, Command) and U keys (or, in the top toolbar , click on "GO" and scroll down to "Utilities") and find the "Disk Utility" icon and double-click on it. When the application launches, select your hard drive on the left side and then run "Repair Disk Permissions" on the bottom center/left. When it finishes, restart your system to load everything and it should have fixed the problem 90% of the time.
I set mine to run via Automator on the 7th, 21st and 28th of each month when I start up my system and in 18 years or so of working on Macs (and 6 with OS X) it's workedó90% of the time to prevent problems.
Rob W
There is no problem starting the computer. I repaired the disk permissions but to no avail. I am writing you from my iBook. Are you suggesting that even though I can start my computer that I do the proceedure you have suggested to disable most of my extensions? Or did you suggest thsi way of booting because you thought I couldn't start up my stystem at all?
03-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
I won't Kiss You But...

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Ben: The "down n' dirty" way to see if it IS the video card is simple IF you have your original system CDs or DVDs. Put the first disk in your computer and re-start while holding down the "C" key so the OS loads from the CD/DVD and not from the computer. If it loads and your display looks okay, then your operating system got corrupted and you'll need to do an "archive and install" reload of your OS from the disks. The advantage there is that it will not only keep all your system settings, but correct the issues. The DISADVANTAGE is that you'll kiss about 90 minutes goodbye while doing it.
Also, DISCONNECT THE WACOM TABLET AND RESTART BEFORE YOU TRY THIS STEP! If that clears up your problem, the video card isn't the issue. Reload the Wacom drivers and try again.
Rob W
P.S. In fact, if you aren't bouncing off the walls and have calmed down enough to be reading THIS, disconnect EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE and restart. I suspect it is a peripheral and NOT the video card. Also, try a different mouse.
I just started the system from the system disk and there is no problem what so ever with the image...Your probably sleeping will talk later and Thanks Loads..

Ben
03-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
There is no problem starting the computer. I repaired the disk permissions but to no avail. I am writing you from my iBook. Are you suggesting that even though I can start my computer that I do the proceedure you have suggested to disable most of my extensions? Or did you suggest thsi way of booting because you thought I couldn't start up my stystem at all?
Ben,

I'm looking at this from a PC/Windows side of things. He's asking you to restart your computer in what PC users call "Safe Mode". This will run the system with minimal drivers and peripherals as a troubleshooting step. If the computer restarts in this mode and you don't have the original problem, then the video card is not the source of your problem. It would be something else that was added on like a mouse, or a wacom tablet.
03-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 81
Take a look in your System Preferences and find the Universal Access icon.

Is the Zoom feature turned on by chance? Its possible that a mistaken set of key strokes may have activated this function.

If not, I hope that you are able to find a solution quickly
03-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Brilliant

QuoteOriginally posted by Kami Quote
Take a look in your System Preferences and find the Universal Access icon.

Is the Zoom feature turned on by chance? Its possible that a mistaken set of key strokes may have activated this function.

If not, I hope that you are able to find a solution quickly
That is brilliant. I'll check...Too bad I already reinstalled the system keeping my settings. I was about to do a complete erase and install...
03-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Original Poster
Bingo

QuoteOriginally posted by Kami Quote
Take a look in your System Preferences and find the Universal Access icon.

Is the Zoom feature turned on by chance? Its possible that a mistaken set of key strokes may have activated this function.

If not, I hope that you are able to find a solution quickly
You got it...It was that. Unfortunately I have to update my system as I did a reinstall...Thanks a million...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 03-18-2007 at 12:26 AM.
03-18-2007, 01:38 AM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 81
Hi Ben

I'm happy that I was able to help out. Sad to hear that it was too late to save you some time...

Are you using something like SuperDuper to clone your boot drive and reinstall from the clone? If you had to reinstall all your apps then I feel your pain
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
card, screen, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My K5 has problem or....really a big bug! Marco_Pochi Pentax K-5 17 10-31-2010 04:58 PM
K-7 Big Problem? robr7 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 10-04-2010 08:13 AM
One big money problem. Bucik Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 08-05-2010 08:50 PM
(The Big shock) CANON 7D - NIKON D300S & PENTAX K-x ISO PERFORMANCE (The Big shock) starscream Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 01-14-2010 05:17 AM
i have a big problem with my cp510 printer hll Photographic Technique 6 12-22-2007 06:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top