Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

Looking for a new laptop....

I own a pavilion 17", and the thing is finally dieing, aside from weighing a ton (9pounds). I want something small to take into the field, just so I can download my pics and take a good look at them. No heavy editing. I'll run elements, just to convert raw images, but portability is the key here. Liked the toshiba s series, as it's thin. The lenovos are nice too. The hp's seem a little thick, but could work. .....any suggestions..oh, I want a pc machine, as I don't feel like getting all new programs for a mac.....

01-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

Well you could get a Mac and dual boot. Basic programs on the MacOS and other stuff you have on the PC side. I here Vista runs real nice on a MacIntel Core 2 Duo! Some programs, like Lightroom, you can just download the Mac version and use the same Serial Number, no sweat! You do use LR for your raw shooting, don't you?

Don
01-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
^^ That's a whole 'nother story. I use elements right now ( new to the whole editing thing) and was wondering if I should use LR, or just get cs4...( I have CS# that a friend gave me, but it wont install on my new machine, it's only on my old machine)
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
^^ That's a whole 'nother story. I use elements right now ( new to the whole editing thing) and was wondering if I should use LR, or just get cs4...( I have CS# that a friend gave me, but it wont install on my new machine, it's only on my old machine)
Well, I think LR will be well worth trying for you, if you haven't. 30day free trial (full version) if you haven't before. If you did try 1.x, you get another try at 2.x!

Don

01-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DonRicklin Quote
Well you could get a Mac and dual boot. Basic programs on the MacOS and other stuff you have on the PC side. I here Vista runs real nice on a MacIntel Core 2 Duo! Some programs, like Lightroom, you can just download the Mac version and use the same Serial Number, no sweat! You do use LR for your raw shooting, don't you?

Don
Why waste time dual-booting, when you can save time and money by buying a regular non-Apple laptop?

If you're out for portability, get a netbook. (MSI Wind U100 would be my heart-felt recommendation. I've had the opportunity to play with every single type of netbook currently on the market. It has a 10" screen, and if you grab the 6-cell battery you'll have 7 hours of autonomy on that puppy.)

If slim and stylish is your thing, go for the Sony Vaio CS Series

I also happen to like Lenovo designs very much.
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
I was looking at the lenovos. But then, after fishing around the review sites, i ame across the HP elitebook. Yes, the one I want is about 1500$, but thats 300 more than the lenovo u or w series, and is built to military specs. Plus, it comes with DOD approved deletion software. When you delete a file, it's gone forever. It's extremely rugged too, and cost 500 less than a comparable mac. I would like to get my hands on one first just to check it out.....we'll see I guess.....